Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2018, 09:02 PM   #21
powerhaulic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20884
Banks Derringer here, any temp or pressure you want and yes they are very different from the stock analog gauge.
My stock coolant gauge always reads 210, actual normal is 187

Lippert AirRide pinbox / PullRite SuperLight hitch
powerhaulic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:56 AM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slufoot733 View Post
Mlh hit the nail on the head. On my '08 F350 the tranny temp gauge never moved. I added an after market gauge and watch the temp go up and down as conditions changed. The stock needle never moved.
Personally I strongly recommend a REAL gauge for tranny, oil pressure/temp, and anything else you want to monitor.
X2..we have the aftermarket real gauge since day one. The gauge looks at all the Ford parameters but we look at Pre EGT and trans temp all the time.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:20 AM   #23
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
We monitor these:
Engine oil temperature
Engine coolant temperature
Transmission fluid temperature
Transmission RPM slippage
Fuel Rail pressure
Exhaust gas temperature
Fuel rail temperature
We could monitor several dozen if not several hundred more but most of what we don’t monitor is obscure stuff that has no meaning to anyone except the engineer that designed the engine.
The only thing I wish we could monitor is engine oil pressure but can’t.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:22 AM   #24
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
We monitor these:
Engine oil temperature
Engine coolant temperature
Transmission fluid temperature
Transmission RPM slippage
Fuel Rail pressure
Exhaust gas temperature
Fuel rail temperature
We could monitor several dozen if not several hundred more but most of what we don’t monitor is obscure stuff that has no meaning to anyone except the engineer that designed the engine.
The only thing I wish we could monitor is engine oil pressure but can’t.
Lynwood
Same with Torque Pro; a lot more information than I can digest. Also cannot see oil pressure, just oil temperature.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 04:56 PM   #25
sheriffdan

M.O.C. #21907
I agree with Carl. Our 2017 Ford SD Laramie has digital gauges that fluctuate when towing and on grades, engine and trans. From experience with our MH which had digital gauges for the 450 Cummins and a GM Allison 6 speed. Temps are very similar on grades that we have been over many times. Also there is a trans rise in temp when using the exhaust brake on a down grade. I've seen 210 and on occasion 220 on the motorhome and Cummins said that was normal. Just FYI
sheriffdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:55 AM   #26
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
I believe all 3 brands work the same as my Silverado/Duramax/Allison. The transmission sends the fluid first to a heat exchanger in the radiator, then to a cooler then back to the sump. As your engine produces more heat (for example pulling your 5er up a long grade) it heats up the coolant in the radiator and consequently the trans fluid that runs through it. I can’t believe the newer trucks don’t have a digital trans temp like my 2007.5 has. I have only seen my trans temps go as high as 215 in extreme conditions (high ambient, high altitude and long steep grades). Allison’s are tolerant to fluid temps over 300 degrees, so no worries. My engine coolant temp gauge is analog, and they are notoriously innacurate, although on the conservative side (200 indicated is actually closer to 180). The advice above for getting the iPad app to read engine parameters is good, although my dash is getting crowded with electronics!
Old 11-22-2018, 06:36 PM   #27
rvsareus
Established Member

M.O.C. #22863
I have a 15 dually dodge cummins to and have towed a 5th wheel to New England from Florida with very little change in Trans temp in the summer. The new 5r is even bigger with the same readings. It never seems to get over 168. I use the gauge setup that reads all the temps and pressure for oil. I think its one of the best guage packs from stock Ive ever seen.
rvsareus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 07:38 PM   #28
Mtnquail
Established Member

M.O.C. #19517
Sir, I am wondering what your gauge setup might look like? Factory gauges or aftermarket? On my 2017 I can not find anything like a digital readout on trans temp. Only the bar graph.
Mtnquail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:00 PM   #29
rvsareus
Established Member

M.O.C. #22863
Yes sir, I have a 15 Laramie package with controls on the Steering wheel. I attached a pic to show where its located.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1123181446a[1].jpg
Views:	37
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	2717  
rvsareus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 02:23 PM   #30
Mtnquail
Established Member

M.O.C. #19517
Thank you for the picture. I just need to look further. Thank you so much for making the extra effort and showing me the possibilities. I know this is a day late but Happy Thanksgiving to all of you that are contributing here. Darrel
Old 11-23-2018, 05:33 PM   #31
Mtnquail
Established Member

M.O.C. #19517
Went out to my pickup, a 2017 Longhorn edition with the Cummings and 6 speed. I went thru all the options within the setup mode looking for the Gauge Summary. I did not find it. I went to page 270 of the owners manual on my iPad and it seems the gauge summary is available if the vehicle is equipped with this option. So this coming Monday I am going to the local Ram dealer and see if my pickup has this option. I will continue this when I know more. Thanks to all.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:01 PM   #32
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
In the above pic, you scroll up or down until you see the "screen" that has circles over the words gauge summary. Then you scroll left or right until you see the gauge you want.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:48 PM   #33
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
If you don't have a fancy display, you can get one of these for $11

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then get the Torque Pro app on your phone or tablet for about $4

You will be able to see a ton of information, scan for codes, and reset codes. I installed custom PID's (downloaded for free) that give a lot of extra info for the Ford 6.7; probably also available for GM & Dodge.

The app saved my bacon when I was stuck on the side of the road with a fuel filter problem.
Nice to have that OEM option to monitor things. Since I don't have that, I mounted an old tablet I had.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tablet engine monitor 2 -2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	2733  
Old 11-26-2018, 06:57 AM   #34
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
TMI. How can you read all that stuff when towing. These trucks have sensors to monitor all that stuff. I just use gauge mode to monitor temps.
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:06 AM   #35
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bone View Post
TMI. How can you read all that stuff when towing. These trucks have sensors to monitor all that stuff. I just use gauge mode to monitor temps.
You are correct, but I don't look at all of it; and the photo is only showing page 1 of 4 that I have set up; could be many more items displayed including all my tire pressures.

The main thing I got it for was so I could know when a regen was taking place. On my Ford, you get about a 1 second message telling you that a regen has started. If you miss that, you don't know one has started and you don't know when it is finished (you are supposed to keep driving during the regen). The Torque Pro app has a "regen on" indicator (top left). Everything else is just info that I can look at if I want to; I don't watch it. Plus, it can scan and reset codes; all Ford gives me is "check engine".

For the $16 I paid for this setup (already had the tablet) I figured it is worth a try; so far I like it.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:08 PM   #36
Mtnquail
Established Member

M.O.C. #19517
Good morning one and all. I went to the local ram dealer who kindly printed out a list of all the options my pickup has. They were busy so I did not bother them further. Came home and called the Mopar customer service, gave them the vin and asked if they could tell me whether or not I had the gauge summary as an option. I don't so that is why I could not find what I was looking for. Thanks to all who chimed in. I will look to one of the after market devices that has been mentioned. Darrel
Old 11-26-2018, 11:19 PM   #37
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Is it just a software item or does it require additional hardware? If it is just a software function, your dealer might turn it on for you. For example, my Ford did not come with DRL but the service department was nice enough to enable them for me; just had to connect their computer and a click of the mouse. They did the same thing for my other two Fords.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:30 AM   #38
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If you have a a guage and are motioning pre turbo EGT you will note a significant increase in EGT temps when a regeneration takes place and will remain higher till it is complete/We have the 08 F 350 with a after market guage and the increase is very obvious.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:37 PM   #39
Jersey Devil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling Three View Post
My Chevy dually does the same thing, I've read or been told the xmission is designed to run at a certain temp to burn off any condensation in the xmission oil and within itself. My temps run around 210 degrees under no load.
I have a 2017 Duramax dually and my trans temp never goes over 147 under no load.
Will find out soon what it will be towing 40’ Montana.
Jersey Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 02:56 PM   #40
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Trans temp will also depend on the ambient temperature since cold air will be passing through the trans cooler up front. On my 2002 truck I had a situation where it was hot out and I had to climb long steep gravel grade going really slow. The trans temp got up to 260.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote