Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2004, 02:19 PM   #1
Ronbry
Established Member

M.O.C. #651
Inside water heater electrical switch

When wanting to use the electric heater in the water heater itis a real pain going outside to turn the switch on, on the heater. I installed a switch with a light showing when it was on in the kitchen just below the tank status panel. The water heater is just behind that in the kitchen. Cut the wood to just fit the switch light unit and installed a shallow electrical box on the back to protect everything. Just needed about three feet of 12/2 wire to run to the water heater electrical connection box and wired to the hot side. Just leave the switch outside onall the time now.
Pictures at this link http://share.shutterfly.com/action/share/view?i=EeAMmjNw1aOGzsI&open=1&x=1&sm=1&sl=1

Ronbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 02:35 PM   #2
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I did that last Spring along with installing a switch inside for the outside receptacle under the awning. This way I don't have to go outsideto shut off the awning lights at bedtime.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 08:17 AM   #3
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
Way cool idea and improvement. It's a wonder that Keystone doesn't already have a switch installed inside the unit. This would be a great idea for them to consider in future models along with the inside switch for the outside receptacle. I plan on adding an inside switch this weekend for the hotwater heater.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 05:21 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Well they did in the Big Sky model. Mine has it as part of the tank monitor panel and includes the water pump switch also.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 08:03 AM   #5
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
They should have it in all the models. Oh well after this weekend I will have one in mine too.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 10:32 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Stiles, are you sure that switch in the panel is for the electric side of the water heater? On ours that's for the propane side. Maybe yours is different?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 03:01 PM   #7
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
We put one in today. The hard part was getting the wire into the heater jct, box. Got a "lighted" switch at HD couldn't figure out why the heater didn't work the light was on. Discovered I bought a switch for a light. The switch is lit until you turn on the light. "Duh" It works and now we can turn off the hot water tank when we start the generator. They don't like a load when they start. Turn it on after the generator is going. We have added two outlets on our Island. One on the far end and one on the front. We also added one in the entertainment center that runs off an inverter to run the Sat., TV and computer. Don't use that one very often but it is there if we need it. Treecounter
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 01:28 AM   #8
On The Road Again
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1725
Wish I was as confident and knowledgeable as you guys for adding that inside switch for the hot water heater....perhaps in time.
Marshall
On The Road Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 04:09 PM   #9
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
What am I missing here?. My electric hot water is on all the time. What situation would cause me to have to go outside to turn on the hot water?
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 06:56 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
BJ, you live in yours so leave it on all the time. When you hit the road you might chose to turn it off before you pull out. You can do that either at the breaker panel if you know which breaker or outside on the front of the water heater panel. Or you can just leave it on so long as there's always water in the tank.
Old 11-21-2004, 03:15 AM   #11
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I've already said my piece on this one, but just can't resist saying again that I am with Fla Native on this one. I turn the electric off when setting up at home so the switch is part of the outside procedures anyway. And when (or if) I need to drain for hard freezing I'm working on the outside anyway. I like it just the way it is. Many of these things are matters of preference and we only express them to keep the total picture for those who ask the question, not to 'correct' those who have a different preference.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 11:33 AM   #12
Montana_1985
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1985
i've found in our 3650RK, that u can just use the inside breaker switch to turn the elec. water heater on/off, and use the inside propane switch as necessary (as long as the elec. is off). Albeit, I tend to just go outside and use the switch (more exercise, and it looks like i'm doing something!! lol ).

Montana_1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 01:11 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Tedd & Lillian. I like the part about looking like you're doing something!

By the way, you can use both the electric and propane heating elements at the same time. It won't get the water any hotter but recovery time is shorter that way. We do that when we have a couple of grandkids needing showers before bedtime that's fast arriving.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:39 AM   #14
Montana_1985
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1985
Hmmm... our dealer told us that by using the propane and electric at the same time would damage the heating element....
But, if you've done this w/no problems, then I guess it works!!!
Thanksfor the tip!

Old 11-24-2004, 05:23 AM   #15
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
On our plant tour, our guide specifically asked us if we realized that we could use both electric and gas together to provide faster recovery or initial heating. We do it sometimes, and have not seen any sign of a problem by doing so. Each has its own thermostat, so one will shut off before the other.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 03:03 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Tedd, just be sure the electric element is off when you drain the water heater. It will burn out in a matter of seconds when there's no water covering it. We've used both together many, many times. It won't hurt anything at all. I don't know where your dealer was coming from. (left field, maybe?).
Old 11-24-2004, 03:31 PM   #17
Mr Zip
Established Member

M.O.C. #1583
Is there a sequence to turning on both electric and gas on the water tank? I had the electric on to mine in a 2004 3255 and the gas would not ignite.
Mr Zip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 03:16 AM   #18
Montana_1985
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1985
well then, we'll have to try that combo..and thanks for the insight!
I only use AC because we always (to date) have elec., and i'd rather use "their" electric, than my propane.
We havnt gotten very far (in FL now), and havnt had the need to use propane.
Old 11-25-2004, 05:04 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Marvin, it should not make any difference. The propane element will not light if the water is already above the thermostat setting. So maybe the electric heater element has already heated the water. If you leave the propane switch turned on it should light when needed. But to know for sure it's working you'd need to turn off the elecric element and let the water cool sufficiently (or drain and refill the tank).
Old 11-26-2004, 01:04 AM   #20
Mr Zip
Established Member

M.O.C. #1583
Thanks for the ansewer I'll try that.
Mr Zip is offline   Reply With Quote