Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2005, 11:58 AM   #1
RadioMan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #222
Send a message via AIM to RadioMan
Landing gear breakdown

I would like to relate an incident while on vacation from California to Montana. On the third day out in Ely NV I lost my landing gear and had to call a tow truck to lift Monty high enough so that I could hookup. It would not raise up high enough to hook up to the truck. This resulted in damage to my truck and Monty as well because the unit rolled off the jacks twice. But that’s another thread.
We decided that we couldn’t take a chance of unhooking and maybe not being able to hook back up again, we would detour to Twin Falls ID after spending the night in Jackpot NV. Arriving in Twin Falls ID on the 4th of July, we registered at Anderson Camp & RV Park next to Gary’s Freeway RV Sales & Service.
On the morning of the 5th of July, we contacted Gary’s Freeway RV Sales & Service. After inspection and attempt at just replacing the motor to the leveling jacks, it was determined that the worm gear in the jacks was also faulty causing the motor to drag. Both the landing gear assembly and motor needed to be replaced.
WG WARRANTY AND INSURANCE SERVICES CLAIMS Dept. was contacted before any repairs were undertaken and were quoted the price of parts and repairs. They stated that they would have to have my unit inspected prior to authorizing any repairs. The insurance company stated that it could take a couple of days. I stated that I was on vacation with my wife and brother-in-law in our rig as well as my sister-in-law and her husband in their rig. They stated that they would try to get the inspector out as soon as they could. Gary’s stated that they had never had a situation like this over a 5th wheel. They stated that in their opinion, the claims people did not know what a 5th wheel was and couldn’t understand what they were being told.
Because Gary’s RV did not have the assembly in stock, it would have to come overnight FedEx from Utah and would have to be ordered by 1:30pm to get it the next day. I directed Gary’s RV to order the parts, that I would deal with the insurance company later.
The inspector showed up at 5:00pm, talked with Gary’s RV mechanic then came over to inspect Monte. He concurred with Gary’s RV and sent his report in that night. The next morning WG Ins. told Gary’s RV that they thought the price was too much and that it could be rebuilt cheaper. Gary’s RV stated that they could not buy the parts separately and even if they could, the cost of labor would be as much if not more than to just buy the assembly. WG Ins. stated that they would have to verify all this before they could authorize any repairs. After they verified the information, they then told Gary’s that they thought the price was too high and that they would only pay X $ for the repairs. This was on Wednesday at 4:00pm. If I had not ordered the parts, they would not have been ordered till Thursday, and would not have arrived till Friday. The parts did arrive at 5:00pm on Wednesday and Gary’s kept their mechanic past 5:00pm to replace my landing gear and get me on my way.
I would like to give Kudos to all Gary’s employees for the fine assistance and help they extended me. They went out of their way and bent over backwards to do everything possible to get my unit fixed and on the road. In addition, they even adjusted the bill so that I only had to pay my deductible. I know they didn’t make a fair profit and even kept their mechanic past 5:00pm. If your ever in Twin Falls ID, and need anything for your unit, be sure and stop by GARY'S FREEWAY RV SALES and SERVICE. And while you’re at it, stay next door at ANDERSON'S CAMP & RV Park. They are wonderful folks and have a real nice clean park.
And lastly, if anyone has any extended warranty coverage with WG AND INSURANCE SERVICES, my heart goes out to you if you ever need a claim adjustment while on the road.

RadioMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 01:10 PM   #2
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Radioman -

Did you try to get ahold of Keystone? I also bought an extended warranty (part of Ford) and my unit just ended the one year Keystone warranty. But many times Keystone will go out of their way to help an owner out. Just a thought for the future. I am sure the MIMF will be along shortly to chime in - he works for Lippert, the frame builder. Curious if this is a common problem. Best of luck.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote