Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2010, 11:45 AM   #1
TMerrell
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7988
Cats and Dogs

This might be a long shot, but here goes.

We camp with two dogs (border collies) and a cat (Okinawa, Japan stray). We typically take the Montana to a campground and leave it for about 3 months and attend as many college football, baseball, volleyball, softball, basketball etc... games that we can. Storage is not an issue because we have to go back to the house and occassionally I have to go to that four letter word...work.

Here is the problem. The dogs like to get into the cat food and litter box (I know, yuck!) while we are cheering on the teams... We would like to keep them out of it. The cat food and litter box are currently in the front closet.

Last week (start of baseball season) I ran into a couple in a class A and they had taken a floor level internal storage area and converted it into an area with a "cat door" that was large enough for the cat, but too small for the dog.

I immediately liked the idea and have a couple areas in the Montana that it would work.

Has anyone got / seen a different solution? Or, has anyone done this? We have a 2008 2955RL.

Thanks in advance.

TMerrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:09 PM   #2
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
a thought... Put the cat litter box in the bedroom and close the bedroom door with the dogs in the living area. The cat should be able to get under the door and the dogs not?
Good luck. What we don't do for our pets!
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:41 PM   #3
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Here's another thought, when looking for our Monty, looked at a SOB used 5er where they made an opening in the vanity to the basement for their cats. If your 2008 is the same as my 2010, you could make a tunnel under the bedroom stairs into the basement, cat could be through but not the dogs. I would think that you would need some sort of confined area so the cat didn't escape when you opened the basement doors. We travel with at least 2, sometimes more Show Cats and wouldn't want to take a chance on them getting out. That Teddy the camping cat that's my avitar
Old 02-23-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by camper4

a thought... Put the cat litter box in the bedroom and close the bedroom door with the dogs in the living area. The cat should be able to get under the door and the dogs not?
Good luck. What we don't do for our pets!
Well we have a litter box with the cover and the dog can't, or doesn't want to, get into it. Closing the bedroom door should work also, of course, we have a 70 lb lab that won't fit under the door. I hate to say it but we put the cat food on the kitchen counter where the dog can't get at it.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:57 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
And do you know why?

I asked my vet friend.

Cat food is extremely rich in protein. A cat cannot digest all the protein in their food, so it is expelled. The dogs go after that high protein smell and love it.

When we had a cat we put the litter box in an area away from where the dogs could get to, like up high, or we used the covered cat box. Just make sure you have a sturdy, tight, cover.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:53 AM   #6
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
We have 2007 3075, we put a vinyl sheet in the shower and the litter box, food and water in as well. The vinyl keeps the litter contained. I rigged up a latch on the shower door to keep it open so the cat can get in and our lab cannot. The latch consists of piece of foam tube cut and placed on the door of the shower to prevent it from shutting and a small rope attached to the door to keep it from swinging open. Our lab doesn't even bother anymore. It is not much of a deal to remove everything to shower after all I have to do cat house keeping anyway.
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote