Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2007, 03:16 PM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
If you Grew up in the Midwest

You know how to polka, but never tried it sober.

You know what knee-high by the Fourth of July means.

You know it is traditional for the bride and groom to go bar hopping between the reception and wedding dance..

You know the difference between "Green" and "Red" farm machinery, and would fight with your friends on the playground over which was better! RED, RED, RED!!!

You buy Christmas presents at Fleet Farm.

You spent more on beer & liquor than you did on food at your wedding.

You hear someone use the word "oof-dah" and you don't break into uncontrollable laughter.

You or someone you know was a "Dairy Princess" at the county fair.

You know that "combine" is a noun.

You let your older siblings talk you into putting your tongue on a steel post in the middle of winter.
You think Lutheran and Catholic are THE major religions.

You know that "creek" rhymes with "pick".

Football schedules, hunting season, and harvest, are all taken into consideration before wedding dates are set.

A Friday night date is getting a six-pack and taking your girlfriend shining for deer.

Saturday you go to your local bowling alley.

There was at least one, if not several, in your class who had to help milk cows in the morning.

You have driven your car on the lake.

Every wedding dance you have ever been to has the hokey pokey and the chicken dance.

Your definition of a small town is one that only has one bar.

The local gas station sells live bait.

At least twice a year some part of your home doubles as a meat processing plant.

You think that the start of deer season is a national holiday.

You actually understand these jokes

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:35 AM   #2
Bogeyplus
Established Member

M.O.C. #7610
Scary but true
Bogeyplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:37 AM   #3
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Yup... Know every one.. Been there, done that
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:10 AM   #4
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Know most of them, your Mid-West must be a little further North than mine (South-East of KC). Everyone I know that drove on a lake now owns an artificial reef. I guess my home town doesn't even register as a town as it does not have a bar. There is a package store next to the cattle auction just out side town though. Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:26 AM   #5
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Actually heard a guy here in AZ say "oof-dah" twice in less than 30 minutes. Turns out he is from Wisconsin and winters down here.

As to driving on ice, I remember a buddy who "put'er into a slide" doing about 30. Back window was down about 2 inches and he filled the car ('49 ford) with snow.

Also remember cutting Ice out of the river. My uncle had an "ice and dray" service. He stored ice in sawdust and sold it all summer long.

My dad always took to the ice when crossing into Minnesota in the winter to avoid the toll bridge at Prescott. I think it cost a nickel.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:47 AM   #6
Bogeyplus
Established Member

M.O.C. #7610
I can actually remember part of my drivers education class taking part on a frozen lake.

Bogeyplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:50 AM   #7
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
That says it all.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:50 AM   #8
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Yah hey! Furshure!
Old 12-12-2007, 12:08 PM   #9
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Yup! I've been here in northern Indiana all my life and I know everyone of those are true! Except statement number four. We all know the difference between red and green but, Exnavydiver, it's GREEN, GREEN, GREEN!!!!
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:21 PM   #10
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I don't think that we are part of the "mid-west", but most of that is true is rural Ontario. (Not sure about "oof-dah" though, or maybe its just my accent).
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:41 PM   #11
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Except for that terrible misspelling of uffda, I are one!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:42 AM   #12
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We even have had the pasties at Sven and Ole's... Ya, sure, you betcha.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:30 AM   #13
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Funny you should mention pasties, we brought two dozen with us when we hit the road. The freezer was stuffed with them. It will take us another month to finish them all. We have cornish, cheese burger, rudebaga, Greek, taco, and rueben. They are all good... Dave and Betsy
Old 12-13-2007, 04:05 AM   #14
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Yum, yum.. I'll take the rutabaga off your hands for you and a few of the rueben's.

Helen
Old 12-13-2007, 08:21 AM   #15
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
Been there and remember a lot of that. I didn't see one about "cruising up and down main street on the weekends"
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:14 PM   #16
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
if the ice was not on the lake by thanksgiving it was a warm fall ,, we rode the lake on snowmobile for many years and it always started in thanksgiving and ice out was april 15 so you quite riding on april 1st been ther done that , thats why now we are in fl john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:15 PM   #17
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
I was waiting for someone to bring up that subject. It is pronounced like passty, the spelling you are looking for is "paisties". Go here,http://www.joespastyshop.com/ this where we got ours. I believe they were brought here by Finlanders who immigrated to the northland to work the iron and copper mines and also the lumbering industry. They were easy and cheap to make and would stay warm for a long time in a lunch box. Joes is the first pasty shop in the UP, (Upper Peninsula). I have been eating them since I was a kid. They are great... Dave and Betsy P.S. here is another of Joe's shops in Butte, a bit more history http://www.coppercity.com/joespasty/temp_index.htm