Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2019, 03:32 PM   #1
jaidinger
Established Member

M.O.C. #21840
12 Volt Battery Covers

Our 2017 High Country came with 2 12 volt batteries and covers and an exhaust tube. Every time I check the water, I have to remove covers. Any problem if I just remove the covers and exhaust tube? Seems there is plenty of fresh air circulating all the time

jaidinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:40 PM   #2
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaidinger View Post
Our 2017 High Country came with 2 12 volt batteries and covers and an exhaust tube. Every time I check the water, I have to remove covers. Any problem if I just remove the covers and exhaust tube? Seems there is plenty of fresh air circulating all the time
I don’t think I would. I had a battery go dry and the fumes went straight into the trailer somehow. I put in a set of battery watering caps, a couple squeezes a month and ALL the cells are filled to the proper level. Very convenient.

Mark
Old 01-09-2019, 05:15 PM   #3
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
Have you seen what damage occurs from battery acid! That’s the reason for the cover . I might add you need to strap the lid down tight. I routed holes for the cables and them sealed them.
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:14 PM   #4
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
Another good reason to get rid of the battery box lid is because of the "extra" 2 pairs of electrical connections on the lid. Last week was leaving a site in California and attempted to raise hyd. jacks when I got "low voltage" warning. Finally traced it to those two double posts on the lid. My Buddy rewired it for me and eliminated the lid by wiring directly to batteries. That also eliminated 4 extra connections and fixed the problem. Will address the lid replacement later.
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:50 PM   #5
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
I would leave the covers on if for no other reason than to keep something from falling on the battery's and shorting them out. If something in the compartment sparks and causes one of the battery's to explode then the cover will help to contain it.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:57 AM   #6
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
I removed the lid connections also But keep the cover!
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:15 AM   #7
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
Lead Acid batteries gas off and the gas will corrode everything near them. Also I had the problem with the batteries cables and i modified my box so the cables would come out the side of the lower box and the top would close over the cables.
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:20 AM   #8
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
We also had the second battery added from dealer. They actually did very good neat work and added #2 cables between batteries. The first time I checked battery voltage I removed the screws holding the battery box covers in place and they will never be reinstalled. The covers will simply lay loosely on top from now on. I want quick easy access for maintenance.

Ran our Wildcat for 9 years with 2 6 volters the same way. Battery box covers simply laying loose on top of secured boxes/batteries. Only the original box was vented to the outside. No problems from gassing, corrosion, smells or anything at all. Sure makes checking voltage, adding water or using a second charger a breeze.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:58 PM   #9
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Or switch to agm batteries.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:28 PM   #10
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
one of the reasons I went lithium.
no watering, gasing no maintenance, half the weight.

just a thought

Montana 3123RL Legacy 'Boon-docking Edition'
RAM 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
suny07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:38 PM   #11
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Wet, I.E., lead acid batteries, outgas while charging. Those gasses are corrosive and flammable. That lid and vent tube is there for safety reasons. DO NOT eliminate the lid and vent tube.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:11 AM   #12
dvstone2

M.O.C. #21293
I am a telecommunications maintenance technician with + 30 years of battery systems installation set up and maintenance experience. The number one reason to encase & ventilate lead acid batteries is not for corrosion protection although that in of itself is reason enough. The main reasons you encase lead acid batteries is for safety and protection against short circuiting and battery gas explosions. While recharging lead acid batteries off gas hydrogen. An extremely flammable and potentially explosive gas, remember the Hinddenburg?

Please be sure to leave manufacturer battery casings intact and don't remove them or drastically modify them such that they will no longer properly ventilate. Add to replace or modify the batteries as necessary for you application. However, while doing so please, please please, for safteys sake make sure you you take into account the need to encase and properly ventilate any additional batteries you add to your unit. If you are in doubt then you are cautious and wise and should seek out professional advice first before making modifications. A build up of hydrogen gas in an enclosed space only needs one little spark to set off a violent explosion. This could come from any number of things such as switch arcing, a loose or intermittent wiring connection, or by something or someone accidentally short circuiting the wiring or the battery. Then you can have an explosion, maybe get burned, set your unit on fire, douse your self in battery acid or possibly even worse. Just use good judgment and pay proper respect to what you are dealing with.

While there is not much shock potential in a 12VDC battery they can absolutely supply several hundreds of amps at once when short circuited. Which results in a tremendous amount of energy released in the blink of an eye. I am not trying to scare folks I just want to inform you or remind you that the dangers of batteries in an enclosed area are real and well documented. You need to be careful and know what you are doing when working on them or making modifications.

Please keep safety at the forefront. Next to our homes and tow vehicles our RVs are probably one of the most expensive purchases we will make in our lives. Don't be unsafe or ignorant about modifications to your units battery systems. Be smart do the work correctly so that you and your loved ones can safe enjoy your rig for many years.
dvstone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:50 AM   #13
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
YES. just keep the covers/hose over the batteries.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:10 AM   #14
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
I built me a wooden box to sit my 2-6 volt batteries in. I then built a wooden lid with a hole cut out on top and screwed the original vent to it . I don't have the lid air tight but it does vent to the outside very well. I don't have to worry about something falling on the batteries and creating an arc and the batteries fit snug in the box.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:09 AM   #15
Rod Spohn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24052
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK A View Post
I don’t think I would. I had a battery go dry and the fumes went straight into the trailer somehow. I put in a set of battery watering caps, a couple squeezes a month and ALL the cells are filled to the proper level. Very convenient.

Mark
Sorry, could you tell this newbie what a watering cap is?
Rod Spohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:39 AM   #16
Rod Spohn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24052
Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvstone2 View Post
I am a telecommunications maintenance technician with + 30 years of battery systems installation set up and maintenance experience. The number one reason to encase & ventilate lead acid batteries is not for corrosion protection although that in of itself is reason enough. The main reasons you encase lead acid batteries is for safety and protection against short circuiting and battery gas explosions. While recharging lead acid batteries off gas hydrogen. An extremely flammable and potentially explosive gas, remember the Hinddenburg?

Please be sure to leave manufacturer battery casings intact and don't remove them or drastically modify them such that they will no longer properly ventilate. Add to replace or modify the batteries as necessary for you application. However, while doing so please, please please, for safteys sake make sure you you take into account the need to encase and properly ventilate any additional batteries you add to your unit. If you are in doubt then you are cautious and wise and should seek out professional advice first before making modifications. A build up of hydrogen gas in an enclosed space only needs one little spark to set off a violent explosion. This could come from any number of things such as switch arcing, a loose or intermittent wiring connection, or by something or someone accidentally short circuiting the wiring or the battery. Then you can have an explosion, maybe get burned, set your unit on fire, douse your self in battery acid or possibly even worse. Just use good judgment and pay proper respect to what you are dealing with.

While there is not much shock potential in a 12VDC battery they can absolutely supply several hundreds of amps at once when short circuited. Which results in a tremendous amount of energy released in the blink of an eye. I am not trying to scare folks I just want to inform you or remind you that the dangers of batteries in an enclosed area are real and well documented. You need to be careful and know what you are doing when working on them or making modifications.

Please keep safety at the forefront. Next to our homes and tow vehicles our RVs are probably one of the most expensive purchases we will make in our lives. Don't be unsafe or ignorant about modifications to your units battery systems. Be smart do the work correctly so that you and your loved ones can safe enjoy your rig for many years.
You sound like a man in the know when it comes to batteries. I'm a newbie to 5th wheeling. I want to add a couple batteries to my Monty since we mostly boondock it. We woke to the sound of the low battery warning on our 1st (and only) trip up north. Apparently the heater and fan took a lot of juice. Can you give me any instruction on how to wire the 2 new batteries together with the original battery. I'm thinking to buy a battery box for each battery because I haven't seen anything that 2 would fit into.
Rod Spohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:27 AM   #17
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Spohn View Post
Sorry, could you tell this newbie what a watering cap is?
Here you go
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190607_172514.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	3932  
MARK A is offline   Reply With Quote