Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
mont
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8179
Bedroom a/c

could anyone tell me if I need a ducted or non ducted unit for the br in a 3400 rl 2008 I guess my question is the duct installed for the br unit the 115 power is Thanks Dave

mont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Dave, my 2007 3400RL is just ducted to the bedroom from the rear unit, no ducting for the bedroom unit for mine.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mont

could anyone tell me if I need a ducted or non ducted unit for the br in a 3400 rl 2008 I guess my question is the duct installed for the br unit the 115 power is Thanks Dave
I suggest you pull the vent shroud for that area and see if duct is there as well as wires. That will best answer your question. I am not sure when they actually made it common install. All it takes is removing four screws.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #4
jimmy2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12317
the same here no duct in the bedroom but make sure you get the low-profiled it will keep your over high down along with better air dynamic across the roof i do no remember were i saw on the net were they put a 5ther in a wind tunnel and showed what happen when you add to the roof.
jimmy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Just put one on ours and if it is not prepped with the duct work and the Zone 2 wiring they say it is fairly expensive to duct and tie into the thermostat. Just because you have a thermostat that shows zones does not mean the wiring is there for the thermostat. In mine it only had the 110 wiring for the unit. But either way the bedroom dumps into the bedroom only and you can slide the damper open and dump the livingroom one into the main living area for quick cool down. Once cooled down and if it is not super hot then we shut down the bedroom unit and just run the main AC on ducts. If it is 100+ like it has been then all bets are off just run them both and point them where you need the cold.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:12 PM   #6
milkman
Established Member

M.O.C. #8771
Our 2008 3400 is a 10th Anniversary edition and it had the ducting and thermostat built in. The dealer said it could be ducted and then later said it could not. I already had the unit installed when they said that they could not duct it. Later I took it apart and found that the ducting was there and completed the job. Really works great! Let me know if you have any problems with it. You need to have the right electrical controls and inside bottom diverter for it to work correctly.
milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:35 AM   #7
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We have looked into getting a 2nd air for about 2 weeks. Have spent many hrs with Dometic, Keystone, and CW. Air has been ordered ready for install at CW Wed. What I have found on my research is the Anniversay Models where installed with duct work, and the wire to the thermostate. I called Keystone with my vin# and was told it did not have the wire to thermostate but duct work. We looked it was there. So definitely look. You are looking for a phone wire in the vent. CW has Dometic airs on sale and install is $111.00. We went with the low profile. Good luck.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:13 AM   #8
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Ours is a 2008 3400RL and the br ac is not ducted.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #9
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
I'm not to impressed with the preformance of our A/C system. Definatly needs a second A/C unit. Pulled the vent shroud off the bedroom vent and I found two small cables and the ducts had thin wood covers on them. A second unit will be going in very soon. I also pulled all the duct louvred grills off and found them quite restrictive. I would like to find somethind differant to install or, cut out every other vane. Any ideas on where I could find new grills with movable vanes that will fit?
woodtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:25 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by woodtic

I'm not to impressed with the preformance of our A/C system. Definatly needs a second A/C unit. Pulled the vent shroud off the bedroom vent and I found two small cables and the ducts had thin wood covers on them. A second unit will be going in very soon. I also pulled all the duct louvred grills off and found them quite restrictive. I would like to find somethind differant to install or, cut out every other vane. Any ideas on where I could find new grills with movable vanes that will fit?
woodtic, here is what I did:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue13/20110618ACVentModificationAndAdditionalAdded?authu ser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMf1o6Tmpa2IQA&feat=directlink
Old 08-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #11
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
OZZ,

Thanks. I saw that this morning and went out to my trailer and trimmed all the inserts. Made a big differance in airflow through the ducts. I'm wanting to install a couple more ducts as you did. Should really help when the 2nd A/C gets installed and running. Can you thel me where you got them? Manufacturer? Part#?

John
Old 08-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #12
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
I have been in contact RV repair shop about adding a second AC unit (penguin low profile 13,500 btu). He's telling me $950 for the complete unit (ducted and wired to the thermostat) and about $175 for the installation. Plus tax of course. Does that price sound reasonable? The dealer was asking about the same price for the unit and $350 installation.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #13
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
OZZ - After you trimed the ducts shorter did you notice any difference in the air flow and cooling ability through the system? I am thinking about trying this little trick out.

I saw the type of duct covers you used at our RV Dealer the other day and thought it would be nice to change everything out to them including the one heat duct in the basement. That one could be shut off completely.

Scott
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PackerFan

OZZ - After you trimed the ducts shorter did you notice any difference in the air flow and cooling ability through the system? I am thinking about trying this little trick out.

I saw the type of duct covers you used at our RV Dealer the other day and thought it would be nice to change everything out to them including the one heat duct in the basement. That one could be shut off completely.

Scott
Yes, a good improvment, glad I did it.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by woodtic

OZZ,

Thanks. I saw that this morning and went out to my trailer and trimmed all the inserts. Made a big differance in airflow through the ducts. I'm wanting to install a couple more ducts as you did. Should really help when the 2nd A/C gets installed and running. Can you thel me where you got them? Manufacturer? Part#?

John
Yikes! I woke up a few times since then... it was at some parts place in Loveland... I think
Old 08-14-2012, 07:33 AM   #16
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We just had the low profile Penq 15000 btu installed instead of the 13,500. Ozz (heater air man) recommended going with the bigger unit as there is not much difference in price. ($60.00 for us) We plan on running the 15,000 btu in the bedroom during the day and the living room at night due to the noise. We will have same size units in front and back.

It was a nightmare getting someone who knew what they where doing for us. Our first attempt at install after 3 hrs we where told our parts where not compatible and the air was missing parts. It did not have the 4 bolts to hold it in. Called Dometic. They said when ordering thier reps do not realize they have to order the bolt kit for new installs. 2nd attempt at install 3.5 hrs away, different dealer, it was put in with the same parts (they where compatible)plus the bolt kit successfully and professionally.

If you have the 12 button thermostate you hopefully will not have as many problems as we did. It all depends on how much the tech knows doing the install. Our install was $400.00. We needed a $100 replacement converter kit in our price for the air at $1069 because our thermostate was the older 5 button. We had already ordered and recieved our air and found out on the net that you can order the air with the converter already changed out. That would have been very helpful getting it installed.

We would like to change out our duct covers to the ones Qzz has used. Let us know if anyone finds them and where to purschase.

Good Luck. Hope your install goes smoother than ours did. End result we are very happy with how it works.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #17
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
I had a local rv repair guy order a unit for me today. Have to wait two weeks for the install because we're leaving to go camping thursday morning, and he's busy with other repairs next week. He's also ordering me 2 Fantastic Vent fan covers and will be installing them also.
I'm so excited!!!
Still want to get some new AC ducts with dampers and install a couple extra ones. Still searching for the right ones.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #18
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Found the 5 in directional air vents at Dryers on the net. $5.79 each. FYI. Ordered ours today.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #19
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cdaniels

Found the 5 in directional air vents at Dryers on the net. $5.79 each. FYI. Ordered ours today.
Good find, Mr. Sherlock! We need to copy that to the data base here.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:31 PM   #20
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
In 2008 some of the Montanas had a major design change and the later ones had front ducted A/C.Our 2955 is an early one and in October they changed the inside of the 5th wheel.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote