Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-29-2012, 08:37 AM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
TV Replacement Questions & Comments???

I’ve been looking into replacing the main TV in the 3400. Today I removed the fireplace and then removed the tube TV for replacement. The opening measures 22.5” in Height and 26.5” in Width. I know some modification will have to be made in order for everything to fit workably. I would like to cover the opening as much as possible and not go too large for everything to work. I would like to have the largest screen practical. My preference would be to overlap the opening some and I could possibly go as wide as 33” before it gets wider than the trim. I think any lager than that would be too large to work with. I know several have replaced their TV’s and the ones I’ve seen on the forum really look good. When measuring a TV screen size I know you have to measure diagonally for the TV screen size. What size TV screen do you think would work with the size opening mentioned? Any and all comments or suggestions are welcome!
Thanks!

Old 02-29-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Bill,
Measure the height and width of the opening and go to the store to see what will fit. That will give you the best idea.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:55 AM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NCFischers

Bill,
Measure the height and width of the opening and go to the store to see what will fit. That will give you the best idea.

I guess I’m wondering what size has been used by the ones who have replaced theirs!
My assumptions are that the openings would be the same on most of the 3400’s. Inevitably I’ll have to do some shopping around but I wanted some input first.
Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:27 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Most of the mods that I recall used a 32" diagonal replacement. If you look at various web-sites, the widths for these tv's are typically 29.5 - 31" wide and 20 - 26" high. The array of selections is immense, based of course if you want Plasma, LCD or LED and how much you want to spend. Go to Bestbuy.com and you can look for a while at the various selections they have. Or you could really go high tech and just turn your tv cabinet into something else (ice maker holder, portable dishwasher cabinet??) and have an electric, remote controlled, drop down screen and install a projection system to view a television that could approach rear window size?? Let me know when you get the projection system installed and we will rent the movies for the trip to Ohio!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:46 AM   #5
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Thanks Bingo that’s what I was wondering about. In looking at some of the previous installations I’ve seen about 4 that have indeed used a 32.” Looks like it may be a starting place.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
What do you think of this idea?

Mount the flat screen on an exterior piece of wood that is hinged to swing open so that the area behind the unit can be used for additional storage (DW wants to store extra bedding in there for when guests stay over). She also wants extra storage for the DVDs she likes to bring along. If I removed the existing glass tube that would free up a lot of space and weight for this to work.

This provides more storage area for a larger screen since it's mounted on the exterior frame. Using a piano hinge on the left side for swinging the screen out of the way would help keep things looking neat (don't forget to make the cables clean and neat). Then some kind of latch or fastener on the right side to keep the TV in place especially when in transit would complete the plan. While I love what others have done by mounting the flat screen on a drawer type system, I think the method I describe might be easier for me and then creates a very large storage closet for storing lightweight items.

Currently, the overhead cabinets all around in the living room area are filled with all this stuff so guests have no place to stow their stuff when they visit with us for several days. this would help keeping the trailer neat and organized for all.

I hope you post pictures for what you end up doing for your TV. I'm guessing you're gonna put your fireplace back. Others can gain some great ideas from these.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #7
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Art, the thought about using a hinge has gone through my mind, excellent idea I might add. I’m remaining open minded about what to do, right now I’m just mulling over different ideas. I could probably come up with something that will work but I’m not beyond going to a carpenter shop and having something custom made if necessary. I like all the mods I’ve seen so far on this forum. I’ve already put the fireplace back in. That turned out to be a very easy job. I’ll try and post some photos when the job has been completed as long as I don’t butcher it up too bad! (lol)
Old 02-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #8
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Measure the ACTUAL width and the height of the potential TV. I found the listed dimensions different than when I measured myself. I installed a Panasonic 32" TV. I elected to cut the sides of the cabinet so the TV would be flush with the cabinet. I made my own mounting brackets and installed them on a sliding drawer to allow for access to the rear of the TV. I do not have much storage behind the TV, but that was not a requirement for me.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
I replaced mine with a Samsung 32". Best mod I have made! That tube TV sure is a heavy sucker, I think I heard our Monty actually sigh in relief when we carried it out.

Phil
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:24 AM   #10
southern thunder
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12211
A 32 inch should work. Make sure the new TV has hook ups that will acconidate your surround sound system if you have one. This was a problem I had to solve when I bought a new TV for the home in December. I was limited to Sony or Vizio.
southern thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:14 AM   #11
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
Replaced ours with a Sony Bravia 32". Had to trim the sides to fit and used the slide mount from the factory install, just moved it to fit. Just replaced the bedroom tube TV with a 22" flat screen mounted flush on the outside of the door. We finally had Direct TV come and install new HDDVR
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:33 AM   #12
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
I replaced the orignal tv's with a 32 in. flat screen living room and a 26 in flat screen in the bedroom. They are Viso's. Very thin models. The living room one, I used the exsisting slide out tray to mount it on and some shelf brackets the I got from Home Depot. I had to drill holes to accomdate the mounting holes for the tv. Then I mounted it to the slide tray. It sits against the frame but only sticks out about an 1 1/2 in. Same with the bedroom, bracket and mounted it to the tray. It also sit against the frame. 26in is the largest you can go it the bedroom. Sorry I don't have a picture of the set up.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #13
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Went shopping today and came home with a 32” LG LCD.
I believe it will work; now the fun starts!
Thanks MOC for the suggestions!
Old 03-01-2012, 10:17 AM   #14
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Bill, I replaced mine with a 32" and a MorRyde Mount. I also moved the speakers on the cabinet.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #15
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Has anyone with the flat screen mod which might sit directly above the fireplace, had any problem from the heat? I know if the TV gets too hot it can cause damage. With a gas fireplace there needs to be a heat deflector to keep the heat away from the TV. With 1500 watts you don’t have nearly the heat you have with a gas F/P but still all the heat tends to rise directly above the F/P so I was just wondering if anyone had any trouble. I’m considering the installation of some type of deflector underneath the TV. Thoughts, comments, etc…
Old 03-05-2012, 02:15 AM   #16
DonPd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4328
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jay Bird

Bill, I replaced mine with a 32" and a MorRyde Mount. I also moved the speakers on the cabinet.
Here is a link to the mount. There are two sizes.

http://tweetys.com/search.aspx?find=tv40-001
DonPd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:16 AM   #17
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
My tv sit right above the fireplace. Have not noticed any problems. I rarely have the fire place on when the tv is going. I use a smal space heater that works well and it does not effect the tv.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #18
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Mount the flat screen on an exterior piece of wood that is hinged to swing open so that the area behind the unit can be used for additional storage (DW wants to store extra bedding in there for when guests stay over). She also wants extra storage for the DVDs she likes to bring along. If I removed the existing glass tube that would free up a lot of space and weight for this to work.
This is exactly what I did. I used 4 hinges and put 2 blocks for the plywood to set on so the hinges wouldn't be holding the weight and put a 1x4 under the TV to to hold it up instead of relying on the 4 little screws in the back. Then I bought 2 door knobs that prevent the door from opening. You can get them from any RV supply.
I have a machine shop so all of this might not be easy foy you to do.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #19
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
We have not had any problems with the heat from the fireplace affecting the TV. We also have a 3400.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:40 AM   #20
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Well I finally got it changed, installed the flat screen. I ordered the MOR/ryde from Tweety’s. I wasn’t going to go this route but as it turns out I think it will be the best set up for us. I like the ability to adjust the angle and the way it will slide out. I still have to complete something for the opening underneath but that shouldn’t be a major job.