Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2010, 06:23 AM   #1
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Stuck to the asphalt???

Something I have never experienced or even heard of. Long story, but maybe it will save someone else time and concern.
Driving across TX panhandle on I-40 into NM on a very hot day, 100+. Pulled into rest area about 15-20 miles west of Santa Rosa, NM. Used the restroom, walked the dog, got back into the truck to leave.
Put in drive, hit throttle, would not budge. Put in reverse, would not budge. First thought was transmission out. But realized the truck was trying to pull, but trailer would not move. Seemed the brakes were locked. Enough throttle that I was concerned about straining the transmission and would not move.
Thought I had accidentally pulled out the disconnect switch while messing aroung in bed of truck. Nope, it was OK. Pulled it out and re-inserted just to make sure. Same no-go. All wiring looked ok at disconnect switch and behind wheels, no obvious breaks or shorts.
Disconnected trailer harness and threw the battery disconnect switch to remove all brake power. Still no-go. Could brakes have gotten too hot and somehow seized???
After 6 PM and getting a little worried. Called the roadside assistance associated with my extended warranty policy. Will not get into that but they were very little help. Only number they could give me for RV repair service there was no answer.
Called information for sheriff department. Called number and no answer.
Called information for Santa Rosa police department. Lady gave me 3 numbers for RV service but did not know if any would be open.
About that time a rest area worker came by. Ask him if he knew of any RV service facility. HE DID! Called someone on his cell phone, gave it to me, and I explained my problem.
Disconnect switch, he said.
Nope. Done tried that. And also remove power. Still no go.
"By any chance are you parked on the right side of the pavement where the big trucks park?" he asked.
Yes.
"You are stuck to the asphalt"
What!!
"You are stuck to the asphalt. Put the truck in gear and gun it"
I already tried that and no go.
"Trust me. I have been out there on more $200-300 service calls for nothing more than stuck tires than I can count. It is downhill backwards. (he obviously knew the place) Put it in reverse and gun it"
I didn't feel real good about it, but he seemed familiar with the problem. Put it in reverse, hit the throttle pretty hard, and after a moment's hesitation, it started rolling backward.
"Give my buddy a little tip and have a good trip", he said.
I gave the guy a twenty, he was happy, we were happy, and on the road again.
The tires had settled slightly into the pavement, barely noticeable. And apparently the tires and asphalt were hot enough to have stuck to each other. I did notice as I was walking around that the pavement was somewhat rippled and a little soft in some spots along the right side, but did not really think much about it. Not unusual for asphalt.
Someone was looking out for us. What are the odds that guy would have walked by at that moment after 6 PM, knew just who to call, and the guy on the phone knew the problem and solution?
So if you are ever driving west I-40 on a hot day and stop at the rest area west of Santa Rosa, park on the left side, not the right side.

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:48 AM   #2
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Thank you!!! I believe this will be could for all of us to know!!! i.e. in this unusual "HOT" summer all over this country!

Thanks for sharing!!
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:58 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Well, my my. Interesting, thanks for posting your story.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:07 AM   #4
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
What a story. Thank you, thank you. Could save one of us a lot of aggravation.
Dick and Sharon
footloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:12 AM   #5
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
That's about the strangest thing I have ever heard, you sure were lucky the rest area worker happened by. I can't help but wonder if having to tear the tires loose from the asphalt could damage the tires?
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:08 AM   #6
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Great story, especially the ending. That is something that everyone who reads this will remember when they pull onto hot asphalt from now on.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:54 AM   #7
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Like many things, asphalt comes in different mixtures, primarily in the size of stones and amount of sand used. Take a look at at a residential driveway and compare it to a street to see a good example. When lots of sand and small stones are used, the asphalt can get soft and gummy. I learned this as a kid when I accidentally poked a hole in my dad's drive way with the kickstand on my bike (with some weight from me of course). The lesson came back at work when we started seeing guys motorcycles fall over in the new parking lot and we had to have a concrete pad put in. Another factoid: don't use jack stands or hydraulic jacks on asphalt unless you put a board underneath to distribute the weight. Another one of those 'learned lessons'.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:09 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes. On the way up to this FCRV rally in Michigan it was 97 degrees and my tire psi was soaring. We stopped at a rest area on the trpk and when I got out of the truck I could feel the heat rising from the asphalt. Shot the asphalt with my IR thermometer and it was 135 degrees. I can see how the tires could stick to the asphalt.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:20 AM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8.1al

....... I can't help but wonder if having to tear the tires loose from the asphalt could damage the tires?
I did look at the tires later and could see no sign of any damage or even any indication they had been stuck. Towed another ~1000 miles before arriving back home and no signs of any problems.

There was another 5er pulled in behind me at the rest area. I spoke with him as I was trying to figure out my problem. He soon left. But ironically he was at the same RV park in Santa Fe when we arrived. When I told him what the problem was, he mentioned that he had to give more throttle than usual to get rolling but it did not dawn on him that may have been my problem. He had not stopped as long, so did not have time to stick as hard I guess.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:26 AM   #10
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
It's great this story had a happy ending! This is just another thing I can add to my list of why I like to get on and off the road early...avoid the heat of the day so I don't get stuck to the road!
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:57 PM   #11
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
I'm thinking "new Dodge" ggg
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 03:06 PM   #12
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Are you sure someone didn't Super Glue your tires ? That's a new one on me. Thanks for the info though, you never know when you might run into that exact problem. Let's hope we never do.
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:47 AM   #13
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Wow!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:37 PM   #14
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Thanks....never heard of this before!
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:09 AM   #15
Tom_Holsinger
Established Member

M.O.C. #10492
Could the poor victim of the next instance of an RV melting into the asphalt please post a pic of the tires involved stuck in the tarmac? It would make a great reminder.
Tom_Holsinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:38 PM   #16
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Have not had the problem of 'stuck' tires but years ago when I worked for a 'Fixed Base Operator' at the Albuquerque airport/ they resurfaced several of the overnight aircraft parking areas. We would have aircraft where the wheels would settle into the asphalt overnight -- the following morning we would be out with our tugs trying to get the aircraft moved. Took about a week of this and the airport had the company come out and do some overlay with a firmer mixer. What a mess that was!! Warm asphalt has properties all its own .
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:05 PM   #17
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
I've done this in ice, too.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote