Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2010, 06:15 PM   #1
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Do You Analyze?

I know this has been discussed before but it's been a long time so let's re-visit having your engine oil analyzed. An analysis can tell you many things, if you can go longer between oil changes, if damage or excess wear is present, piston rings going bad, whether or not your oil and air filters are doing their job, coolant leak, etc.
We have 158,000 miles on our 8.1 liter engine so I figured it was time to find out what is going on inside. We were pleased to see that there is no sign of any excessive wear, everything is within normal range. This is not an expensive process $22.50 and you might want to think about using this as a way to monitor your engines health and help avoid breakdowns and expensive repairs

8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:20 PM   #2
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Sounds like a good idea Charlie, so who tests the oil.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Thanks, Charlie. I am interested in the answer to PapaBeav's question, too.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:03 AM   #4
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
That is very good advice, Charlie, been doing that for years and feel it has paid off. For my location I get a sample kit from the local Cat dealer or the local Freightliner folks.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:38 AM   #5
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
There are several places that offer this service. Here is some additional info though. Some places test TBN and some don't. TBN stands for Total Base Number and is used to see how much additives remain on the oil. If you are interested in extending your oil change beyond the recommended limits, you will probably be interested in having this number. If on the other hand you maintain regular oil change intervals, you don't need it. Places that provide TBN do charge a bit more.

For a provider who does TBN testing:
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free-test-kits.php

For one who does not:
http://avlube.com/oilanalysiskit.html

To test, you put a sample of your oil in a plastic bottle they provide and send it in. Test results take about two weeks or less. You need to be careful when getting your oil sample to make sure you don't get outside contaminants in the oil. I use a Fumoto valve in place of a drain plug and take my sample after opening the drain valve and letting some oil run through to clear out any foreign matter. You can do the same thing after pulling the drain plug but it will be a little messier. Since I do my testing when I change my oil, I don't need the TBN, so I go without the test. I use avlube.com.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:24 AM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I may have my oil checked this next round! I did Spectrometric Oil Analysis(SOAP)in the Air Force for a while and actually grounded "Looking Glass" twice while in the field. Long story there!! Anyway, thihk I'll have my oil checked just to see if there is any ware of the engine that needs to be addressed.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:12 AM   #7
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I used Blackstone Labs. I mailed mine priority mail (AZ to IN)on Tuesday and got my report via email on thursday afternoon
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:47 AM   #8
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Thanks, Charlie.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:31 PM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
If you own a 08 or newer Ford or Dodge diesel truck you should have the oil checked. When your truck goes into regen fuel is being injected in the cylinders on the exhaust stroke. Some of that fuel will migrate down in the oil. A friend with a Dodge had 5% fuel in his oil in 5000 miles I had 13% in 10000 miles. I think the Chevys don't have the problem because they inject the fuel in the exhaust pipe instead of the engine. Fuel is the second worst thing you can have in the oil the first is coolant.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:16 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Probably should extend that back to the 2007.5 on the Dodge. That's what ours is and it has the 6.7L that does the regen thing.

Lynwood's explanation explains why at oil change time the dipstick always reads a little more than it did right after the last oil change.

Now, another question. Isn't diesel fuel oil-based? If so, is diesel in the oil really hurting the lubrication qualities like gasoline in the oil would?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:43 PM   #11
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Now I know why my son recommended me keeping the older generation engine, thanks, son.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:34 PM   #12
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Steve
From the research I have done yes it hurts your engine. Think about what is happening when in regen your cylinders are being washed clean of any oil. This in itself cant be good. Your oil is being diluted, bad. I have sat for hours instead of watching nothing on TV trying to find out if this was harmful to your engine I believe it is. Thinking people could come to a different conclusion. I said I would never ever put a tuner on my truck, it had more than enough power. I wasn't going to take a chance of voiding my warranty, and that would be stupid. It might be be the dumbest thing I ever did, no I can think of several things that top this, but I put a Spartan tuner in my truck. Spartan says they have sold 8200 tuners and nobody that has returned their truck to stock before they it it to the dealer has had their warranty revoked. A friend might have been wright when he told me " The best computer guys don't work for Ford". I have 560 HP get better fuel millage and couldn't be happier.
Lynwood
By the way I love your wifes blog it is wonderful.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:55 AM   #13
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
Blackstone
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:42 AM   #14
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I agree 100% BLACKSTONE!
Lynwood
Old 04-08-2010, 02:53 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We do that every 10K miles or so for the 08 Ford Diesel.Never had a reading as high as mentioned above. Oyr Dealer sends it off.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:17 AM   #16
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
All 08 and newer Ford 6.4 diesels end up with about 5% diesel in the oil between regular oil changes, can't speak for the others at this point. By deleting the dpf and regeneration one eliminates the chances of oil dilution with diesel.
Pretty sad when oil level increases do to regeneration over time, with a resultant of a reduction in oil viscosity!!
One reason we made the change/dpf delete on our trucks, no problem now with excellent performance and many miles to prove it.
One of the many reasons all the newer diesels will be using urea.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:03 PM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We change the oil on a regular basis. That solves the dilution problem.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:11 PM   #18
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
What guidelines are used for regular, by the hours on the engine or by the miles put on the truck?
We do oil changes based on hours just like any other large diesel engine and pending type of service this can be 100 to 150 hours.
If one averages 40 miles per hour that could translate to 4000 miles at 100 hours or 6000 miles at 150 hours. Lots of variables to consider. At 100 hours the 6.4 can add .75 to 1 quart of diesel to the engine through the many regens; other engines using similar regen systems are finding similar results. Lots of complaints from customers about this concern. Not effective and efficient for a working diesel engine, plus gives a false situation where one assumes the engine uses no oil between changes.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:28 PM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We change at the Ford recommended interval for "heavy duty" use....6K miles. 90 % or more of those 6K miles will be pulling the 5th wheel at interstate speeds of 62/65 MPH. With all the latest flashes we do not get a lot of regens. We can see the regens via our EGT guage and they occur @ every 500 miles or so at interstate speeds. Example ...the truck has been here in Florida for @6 months. We have put 1245 miles on it or @ 207 miles a month most of them deliberate miles just to keep things moving. Most of those miles have been at speeds of above 50 MPH. I can recall 3 regens during that time. We will get the oil analyzed at the next change.We have had zero issues with this truck and will be at 30K miles when we get home.

We will make no changes to this truck as long as a warranty is in effect and probably not after.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:39 PM   #20
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
8e3k0 is wright. If you own a 08 or newer Ford or Dodge diesel truck you should have the oil checked. They both go through the same regen process. Ford said 2% fuel in the oil was OK for the 7.3 engine 5% was OK for the 6.0, now they wont say whats OK for the new 6.4. When I had 13% fuel in the oil my dealer contacted Ford and that was OK. How could a max of 5% be OK in a 6.0 and 13% be OK in a 6.4? I can't figure it out. It would be my very strong advice if you own one these trucks get the oil checked! Blackstone will send you a kit free. When you send it back they will charge you about 20 to $25. Money well spent. They will check for for about 30 things then a real human will make a recommendation. Every body I know that has one of these trucks has the problem. I'm not sure about the Dodges but on the Fords it can be fixed. I think Ford figures the engine will last 100000 miles or 5 years whichever comes first. If that is good enough for you stop reading now, if its not good enough go buy your self a Spartan tuner. You will wind up with a much improved truck, 3 to 4 mpg better millage, up to 250 more HP, much less turbo lag. You wont even believe its the same truck. I say I can pass almost every thing on the road including a gas station. If Ford catches you you will wind up with no warranty. Spartan has 8200 tuners on trucks, they say no one that has returned their truck to stock before taking it in for service work has had their warranty revoked. It was worth the gamble for me. Both Blackstone and Spartan are great products, check 'em out.
Lynwood