Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2010, 04:37 AM   #1
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
P3 brake controller

Well I up graded my brake controller to a P3 Tekonsha. I appears to work smoothly.
Problem, in the set up they have you adjust the controler to the point it locks up the brakes, then back of the setting to right below lock up.
My trailer won't lock up the even at max setting, is this normal for trailers this size or is it my trailer. I just installed all new brakes and adjusted them up as close as possible.

mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:49 AM   #2
KDS MONY
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7362
I would be concerned it's the trailer. Never had a trailer that wouldn't lock up if properly adjusted. We also have the P3 controller and like it very well, it easily locks up our brakes. Check all of your wires, the most common cause of this problem is a broken, loose, corroded or otherwise compromised electrical connection. Our camping buddies had the same problem recently and it turned out to be a broken wire under the rig. The wires just hang down underneath the rig and are just taped to the axle in some cases. Also check you 7 pin connector and make sure you have voltage to the rig when you actuate the brakes, there may be a blown fuse somewhere, best wishes, Jay and Kathy
KDS MONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:09 AM   #3
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I had the same problem, Tekonsha told me to increese my voltage, I am at 9 + volts right now they told me that heavy trailers need to set there voltage up more than the instructional CD states. sence then mine are ok.

This is how I did it.
when all hooked up all I did was push the arrow down it will then show the max voltage allpied to your brakes while that is still showing push the arrow up and this will increese your voltage I have mine set to 9.4 volts when you are satisified push the enter mode on bottom right it will then set it in memory for you,\.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:32 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I think it's pretty common and perhaps is normal. I couldn't lock up the brakes on any of our three Montanas using the foot brake or the manual override. Just too much weight there. Maybe on the smaller ones you can. I can, however, lockup the brakes by pulling the emergency cord, which I think applies the full battery power to the brakes. That will lock them up tight.

I also have the P3. I'm very happy with it. The only controller I've used I felt was better was the builtin controller in my 2005 Ford. It used information from the truck's computer.

My P3 is set at 7.2. One setting you might want to doublecheck is the boost setting. There are three settings. B1, B2, B3, I think they're called. The manual explains that the setting you choose should be based on the weight of the trailer relative to the weight of the tow vehicle. I use the highest setting, B3. What this does is apply higher voltage at INITIAL brake application. It seems to make a difference in stopping power as far as I can tell. If you already knew all this, please disregard.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:20 PM   #5
northeastdiesel
Established Member

M.O.C. #9611
I too have it on B3 and it helps alot. It took some time for me to get it correct, but am happy with it now.
northeastdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote