Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2009, 02:53 PM   #1
OxyVegas
Established Member

M.O.C. #8523
Noisy power steering

I have a 2002 Ford F250 TV. Lately I have noticed a whining noise from the power steering. The fluid is full. There is no steering problem. Does this noise mean the power steering is going out? If so, will I be able to steer at all?

OxyVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:51 AM   #2
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
you need to have it checked, because if it goes out you will have a hard time steering when your stoped its almost imposable to steer the wheel. so i could take to a mechanic and let them check it ............
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:37 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
You will still be able to steer if and when the power part goes out. It's just a little harder and is a shock when all of a sudden you don't have the power assist. One way you can test it is while on the road (preferably not connected to the RV), shift into neutral and turn the key to off. Notice the steering, how much harder it is. But you can steer -- so don't panic.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:40 AM   #4
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160

We have Chevy 05 and when the p. s. pump went out no steering and no brakes, I don't know if Ford is that way.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:33 AM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The Ford is the same as the Chevy. Diesel engines do not have vacuum like a gasoline engine to run the brakes so the brakes
are run off the power steering pump.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:29 AM   #6
pvcoach
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5424
I have the same symptom in my '03 Silverado. The whining only occurs when turning left at slow speeds. I'm not really concerned about loosing the power assist as stated in previous posts, I just want to know what's causing the noise and if there is really something to be concerned about.

2022 Montana 3781, 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
pvcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:43 AM   #7
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pvcoach

I have the same symptom in my '03 Silverado. The whining only occurs when turning left at slow speeds. I'm not really concerned about loosing the power assist as stated in previous posts, I just want to know what's causing the noise and if there is really something to be concerned about.
It seems to me I remember reading posting about your specific problem on another board. You might want to go there and search. Here's the board: http://www.dieselplace.com

EDIT: I did a quick search, hope this helps: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sea...archid=7888086
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:25 PM   #8
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
When talking to one of the mechanics at my local GM dealer, it was mentioned that they had a noisy PS pump and were about to replace it. It seems that the rep from BG fluids came along and suggested putting synthetic fluid in the pump. NOISE GONE. Taking that as a clue concerning my automatic trandmission which was leaking fluid back into the pan after sitting for awhile, I drained and replaced the fluid with synthetic. Now I have about 1/2 tranny full of synthetic and NO MORE LEAK BACK!

I am not recommending anything-just telling of my experience!
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:56 PM   #9
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Generally diesels use the PS system for brakes as well as steering. Whether it is a vacuum or hyd system there is a accumulator that will give about two applications of the brakes with power assist. So if you know that the PS is out, apply the brakes in such a way that you do not need to let off till you are stopped. Fords historically are bad about whining PS pumps. Regardless what the manual says Automatic Trans fluid is NOT an acceptable alternative to Hyd oil or PS fluid. There will be some old timers that swear that it is OK. I was a manager of a 300+ vehicle fleet, and it was the companies policy to use ATF. Due to the amount of power steering problems I did a study with a comparison to units we had ATF and the ones that we had replaced hoses and flushed out the system and added tractor hydraulic oil. The ones we flushed out the ATF we had minimal problems with. The ATF units had noise, and leak problems in the hoses and steering box seals and the pump seals. Lucas makes a good PS additive. Hope this helps.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:40 PM   #10
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
"You will still be able to steer if and when the power part goes out. It's just a little harder and is a shock when all of a sudden you don't have the power assist. One way you can test it is while on the road (preferably not connected to the RV), shift into neutral and turn the
key to off. Notice the steering, how much harder it is. But you can steer -- so don't panic."

Orv, this could be a potential disaster!
If you turn the IGNITION OFF while going down the road doesn't the STEERING LOCK? You may be in a world of hurt!
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote