Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2009, 06:33 AM   #1
Superdave
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6291
2007 dodge won't go shift into gear

I just acquired a 2007 6.7 dually with 50 K miles, auto transmission. I've just had it a week , but on two occasions it would not shift from park. Any ideas? Once it happened when just started, the other after running for a while. There are no apparent shifting issues or noises. It runs like a brand new truck.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 06:42 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Sometimes it may appear that it won't shift out of park but in our case it is because there is pressure placed on the Parking cog because the truck is parked on an incline. I have to push hard on the brake to take some of the pressure off and allow me to remove it from Park.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 06:57 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Some vehicles will not allow shifting out of park unless the brake is depressed. Is your foot on the brake peddle each time when you try and shift? Just a thought. If you are on the brake and it still doesn't shift, it might be this sensor that is failing.

To work around this, you could leave the truck in neutral with the E-brake on, but then you might not be able to remove your key, and you'll have to avoid parking in hills since the vehicle is not in gear. Another example of well-intended safety features that could really muck up things when THEY go bad.

Orv has a good point, which is why when I park on a hill and I have my foot on the brake, I will set the e-brake prior to shifting into park. This helps lessen the stress if you shift into park, let the vehicle gravity lock it into place, then set the e-brake. That's when shifting out of park can get difficult.

Please let us know what you find.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:04 AM   #4
Superdave
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6291
I knew the brake aspect of it and leaned on it . I hit the shift button on the stalk ( not sure of it's proper name- just got the truck last Friday afterall ) and that allowed me to shift.
Heck , I even got out and rocked the truck back and forth !

It's kinda scarey that I might get somewhere and not be able to " unlock" it. I'll go to dodge if I have to and inquire.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:07 AM   #5
kilch123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9104
Superdave - Orv and Art are right on...

Is your problem that the shift selector wont move? or does it move to a gear, but the transmission not go?

If the first, then they are right (there is a sensor on the brake pedal, and a solenoid on the shifter that keeps you from shifting from park without your foot on the brake)

FYI - that vehicle should still have it's factory warranty, and if so, it would be covered
kilch123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:52 AM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I'm curious. Do the Dodge transmission shift by linkage or by wire? I know the Allison has shift linkage, but it goes into gear electronically. I learned the hard way. Contact on the ignition went bad, and the Allison sensed a problem and would not go into gear, even tho the shifter was in gear. Finally, after working with it for awhile it would shift.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 05:17 AM   #7
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Re the cog when in park...I don't like all that weight on the cog (yes, I know the Allison is built for it), so I shift to neutral, put on the emer brake, then shift to park.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:09 AM   #8
Superdave
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6291
Problem Solved !!
I'm almost embarrassed to post this , but I figured out what the problem was today. You have to take your foot OFF of the brake pedal once it's depressed.
Go figure. I was keeping the brake on which is how both my suburban and Tahoe work.

Thanks for the opinions and I hope this comes in handy to someone else on the forum.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:31 AM   #9
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Superdave

Problem Solved !!
I'm almost embarrassed to post this , but I figured out what the problem was today. You have to take your foot OFF of the brake pedal once it's depressed.
Go figure. I was keeping the brake on which is how both my suburban and Tahoe work.

Thanks for the opinions and I hope this comes in handy to someone else on the forum.
That doesn't seem right because it defeats the whole purpose of putting your foot on the brake before shifting out of park. I'm not disputing that it's doing it, I'm only saying I think something is wrong and needs to be fixed.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:52 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dave, I never remove my foot from the brake before taking it out of Park. I'm wondering whether there is something wrong with whatever switch there is telling the computer you have engaged the brake.

I am not positive but it comes to mind that somewhere in the owners manual there is a procedure to get it to release from Park in just the kind of situation you mentioned. I cannot remember if that was in our Dodge manual or our Ford Focus manual. Anyhow, it might be worth a look, just in case.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:40 PM   #11
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Check the owners manual. It should not come out of park unless the brake is held down. I always let the parking brake hold my truck and then put it in park.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:40 AM   #12
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
As I recall the Dodge transmissions are electrically shifted. The lever is just a switch with no direct linkage to the transmission. Sound like a problem in the brake pedal switch.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:29 AM   #13
Superdave
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6291
I found that you have to step on the brake, let off, put your foot BACK on the brake and shift. This should clear up this question. Thanks for all the ideas !
Old 02-08-2010, 05:56 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dave, I'm glad you got yours figured out but I have to wonder why mine is different. I checked mine just to make sure I was not hitting the brake twice and not realizing it. I don't. I step on the brake once and pull it out of park. I'm not questioning what you said, just wondering why yours and mine are different. Strange.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote