Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2009, 03:04 PM   #1
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Winter arrived today, with snow

We had a very cool summer, then our annual 2 days of fall on Monday and Tuesday of this week, and then winter arrived today, with snow. The trees in town had just started turning red and gold over the weekend; now, broken limbs, bare branches, and downed power lines are the story.

Below are a few photos I took on my way to work and at work. One shows my drive in this morning (I was stopped on the shoulder when I took the shot), one is of a tree outside my classroom window, and the last two are of the mountains around my house.

The snow isn't staying this time; we have a high of 53 predicted for tomorrow. The campground at the dam is FULL--the fishing is excellent, and even snow and freezing temperatures didn't halt the fly fishermen.

Carolyn

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:10 PM   #2
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Ah yes, the short fall early winter in SW Montana, Will be headinbg that way over the pass in a month or so. Should be hearing the elk bugling, Got a little snow up on the Missions here, actually a beautiful time of the year.
Allen
Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:45 PM   #3
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
We've only got snow about 1/3 to 1/2 way down the mountains. Any day!!! I can't wait. Time to go cross country skiing.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:32 AM   #4
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Not for me.. This is way to early and I never want to see snow again except on the top pf the mountains.. Been there, done that for way too long... We're on our way to Florida. Got as far as Virginia yesterday and it is 35 degrees this morning. Guess we are not traveling south fast enough.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:00 PM   #5
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
It was 36* here in beautiful North Idaho this morning. The high was around 53*. In a couple more days were outa here.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:33 PM   #6
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
We had snow on the top of the Mountains around Vancouver but not like you got and we prefer it stays up there. We had enough snow last year to do us for a few years and I want to get out of here in January for atrip to Arizona. We hope you have a mild winter this year.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:07 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
It must still be summer here. I judge it by the shower water. Right now I'm turning on the cold water full, and the hot water just a little. When it changes to hot water full, and cold water just a little, I'll know Winter is here.

Now Carolyn, I do remember some previous stories of outhouses, etc. Are you prepared this year?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:23 AM   #8
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
The great thing about winter (besides snuggling in bed) is I don have the cut the &^$%#@(*! grass!

(Did I mention I hate cutting grass?)
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:40 AM   #9
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Waynem, we are PRAYING we have to revert to the outhouses again this year, because that would mean that our house sold and we were back in the Monty. I didn't mind them the first time around, and I would be delighted to have them back this winter.

Never should have built a home again--should have stayed in the Monty and hit the road. Montana's economy is so bad that we may never sell our house. The real estate agent told us yesterday that the only homes in the county getting any lookers are the $125,000 and under, and still, they are a tough sale. Our home is the cabin/lodge lake type of house, sitting on 9 acres of land in the middle of a wildlife management area and looking out at Clark Canyon Reservoir. We need hunters and/or fishermen looking for the perfect "recreation home"!

Meanwhile, we are hoping that we have to have two Porta-Potties delivered one day soon . . .

Carolyn
Old 10-04-2009, 05:15 PM   #10
rphoward
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4471
With all the snow and cold weather - are you feeling okay? Maybe a sniffle or two?
rphoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:21 AM   #11
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Nice pictures!
We have one more camping weekend planned. We will be going back to Greenbo Lake State Resort Park during Halloween. The kids all go trick or treating at the campground. Our grand-daughter should have a great time with us there. I’m looking forward to it. The only reason we got a place is that someone cancelled out. I seen it one day on Reserve America and grabbed it up. They usually stay booked months in advance for Halloween. I believe some of the campers decorate their campers all up as well but I haven’t been there before at this time of year. Both parks near us are booked for months in advance for this.

I haven’t even winterized our camper yet. I usually winterize about mid Oct. may have to keep a little heat on until after that trip.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:59 AM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Two? Are the labeled His/Hers and Hers? Is it because there are time when 1 is not enough?.

I do hope you sell soon so that you can head South to get rid of any viruses you have (Hint, hint).

It has been stated that the "housing" economy is coming back - a little. Might be the time to just close it up and do a wait and see, or better yet, just keep it listed for the asking price and see what happens. You could always keep it as "your" vacation home and summer fun. (To Cold in the Winter.)
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:49 AM   #13
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
I'd hate to think of keeping our home and being on the road most of the time. The weather is so hard on things up here that if you aren't around to do maintenance regularly, you end up with a lot of damaged or destroyed property. In the winter, it's the snow and below-zero temps that are harmful; in the summer (what summer we have), it's the unrelenting sun and wind that do the damage.

And about that winterizing: We are scheduled to go to Idaho Falls tomorrow to have it done, but after I took a look at Monida Pass via the montana.gov webcam (http://www.mdt.mt.gov/travinfo/weather/rwis.shtml), I'm not sure we'll make the trip after all. We had snow all day yesterday, all during the night, and much of today; the pass is very dangerous when it has snow and ice on it, coupled with the notorious high crosswinds in several spots. I've seen 18-wheelers overturned there more than once, and I don't want to become a sideshow for other travelers by being blown off the icy road. Tomorrow we're supposed to warm up to the low 40's, but I bet Monida is still treacherous. Still, if it's clear and I see some RV traffic on the pass, we will make the trip.

Obviously, we waited too long to winterize!

Carolyn
Old 10-05-2009, 12:12 PM   #14
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Wayne and Carolyn,
It is obviously time to point that Monty south!

Good luck.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote