Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2009, 03:59 AM   #1
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Trying to fight Chinese tire imports

Tires tariffs

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:20 AM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
"All car and light truck tires". Guess that means they won't place the tariff on the ST tires. I'm all for it. Let the Chinese whine.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:11 AM   #3
ChuckD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7916
Send a message via Yahoo to ChuckD
Yes lets built our tires right here and keep America Working
ChuckD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:35 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The Chinese make tires of all levels of quality. We buy cheap Chinese tires. If there were no Chinese tires the USA would make cheap tires and the RV makers would buy cheap made in USA tires. The folks who will whine the most will be the folks here in the USA who profit by buying cheap Chinese tires. China does not force any Manufacture to buy a cheap tire or to move plants there. The problem is to address is WHY we do that. High tariffs will help. The Chinese place high tariffs on Made in USA products or demand that the product is made in China. The tariffs will never happen. As it will not benefit those who profit from the less expensive goods.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:41 AM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

"All car and light truck tires". Guess that means they won't place the tariff on the ST tires. I'm all for it. Let the Chinese whine.
Will, thanks for bringing that to my attention... Makes me wonder WHAT and WHY are specific Chinese tires NOT targeted for these tariffs??? For some reason the US did NOT want to include ALL Chinese tires as they seem to be trying to make a distinction as Will brought up. Is it possible that is the only types of tires China makes? Doubtful...

That would just like US officials to list the "P" and "LT" tires and forgetting the "ST" tires...
Old 09-12-2009, 07:52 AM   #6
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Rich, ordinarily I agree with you but this is a little different. The difference is US manufacturers face the prospect of lawsuits brought on by faulty workmanship or design, while the Chinese thumb their noses (all 5 billion of them) at us. Look at the drywall fiasco.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:02 AM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
China is going to have to get their act together on product quality. They get away with it for a couple years until US consumers find out their junk doesn't last or has health/safety issues long term. US consumers react to elected officials and then the govt reacts as seen here with China. This cycle can't last forever. Something will eventually explode...
Old 09-12-2009, 08:56 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Guys you don't get it. WHY does our Governmnet allow this low product material to be imported and WHY do our Manufacturers purchse it. The Chinese produce it because we want it and buy it. When will we wake up... China is not the problem..... We are.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:12 AM   #9
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Oh, I get it alright. I would have slapped trade sanctions on China faster than you can say Mao Zedong. But with the trade imbalance we currently have, that is now impossible. By virtue of our trade debt, China owns more of the US than most of people realize. And you are 100% right, we have no one to blame but ourselves.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:15 AM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Rich, I think it's the same reason many of now enjoy shopping at Dollar General, et al... Price. We were forced to change our way of thinking this past year (unless you had heaps of money stashed under your mattress). Money now matters over quality - by necessity. I agree 100% that this is not necessarily a good thing...

The same ones that complain are the same ones that thought it was a great idea in the first place.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:36 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are no longer the only industrialized nation in the world. We live in a global economy. We are unable to compete in that global economy. We need to change the way we do most everything IF we are to survive. The Chinese and others now build products just as good as we can and have technology just as advanced as we have and are just as educated as we are. We need to first understand and accept that..then .. change accordingly. There is no reason that we can not compete with the rest of the world....well..there is...and we better take a good look at that..
Old 09-12-2009, 03:46 PM   #12
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Many or all of the American tire manufacturers that went abroad to have their tires made did so in China and other nations with their company specs. It's not China but our own tire companies that took their tires overseas, set the specs and will stand next to you looking confused or surprised when you asked them is or was it the same tire they made here. The tariffs may cause our own tire companies to come back home and make good or inferior tires right here. It's about employing our own and not the product! We can only speculate now whether tire costs will increase. Everything made in China is not junk and if it is we are the bad guys because it is. Wait until we start getting their cars here in another year or so!!
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:02 AM   #13
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Posted - Sep 12 2009 : 9:46:06 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Many or all of the American tire manufacturers that went abroad to have their tires made did so in China and other nations with their company specs. It's not China but our own tire companies that took their tires overseas, set the specs and will stand next to you looking confused or surprised when you asked them is or was it the same tire they made here."

You hit the nail on the head with that one Dennis.
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:05 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is good that many understand where the finger of blame should be pointed. It is convenient to blame the Chinese or others for our problems. I am in favor of the tariffs as it will at least level the playing field. But we must understand that prices will no doubt rise as our systems can not compete with the labor cost of other countries and economies. However if more of us are at work and our economy thrives we can afford to pay a bit more.. Or..perhaps by us imposing tariffs other countries will remove theirs so our products can compete with theirs..after all..it is a global economy. But again....we allow these things to happen...our problem.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:52 AM   #15
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Well I do believe its our decision to run China bombs. People are still buying 5th wheel with China made tires. The Mission tires have been on ever RV forum. They have caused $1,000 of dollars in damage. But you read most every week about someone having problems with the China made tire. I don't buy China made tires, I only run Goodyears and have no problems with them. I know Keystone has used Goodyears G614's in the past because in 2005 we bought a Cambridge 358 and it had Goodyear G614's. So if your buying a new 5th wheel go with some other brand that isn't made in China and if the RV manufactor want ungrade for you go to one that will. And the reason we don't have things made in the USA is Labor cost. Just look at the Car and Truck industry??? We are running Goodyear G114's on a 17.5" tire, our manufactor learned their lesson early. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:52 AM   #16
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Seems there is a real battle brewing over this particular issue. The US is apparently very serious about Chinese tire imports and China is just as adamant in the opposite direction. This issue may be a catalyst for a huge trade war.

The WTO will have to figure out how to referee this fight. How does one step in between the first and third largest economies in the world and say, "OK boys. Just just calm down now"? That's like a middle schooler stepping between two 300 lb NFL lineman...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,...est=latestnews
Old 09-15-2009, 04:34 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
So the media says that the US can not produce a low end tire and make a profit and it will take months for other countries to provide the low end tire. The problem is WHY can we not compete with these other countries.. Think about that..... We can make a low end product as well as anyone...so why don't we????
Old 09-15-2009, 06:00 AM   #18
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
In response some to Rich's comment above, but also as to why our tire companies need 3 years of protection. In my opinion -- A big reason is because the tire companies have moved all of their low-end tire manufacturing equipment to plants out of country. By 'low-end' I don't mean cheap tires necessarily either -- I mean all tires used on passenger cars as well as light trucks.

Topeka KS used to make tires for Hummers, as well as some passenger car and light-truck tires. As long as I've been here in Kansas (since mid 1981) they have also made heavy equipment tires for road construction equipment, etc. Within the last couple of years, and with the blessing of the unions as they negotiated to keep jobs, they have moved more heavy equipment tire manufacturing into the plant as they have stopped and moved the production of car, light truck, and military tires to other sites (read - off-shore). As they have done that, other locations have seen their plants shut down, stripped of equipment (or just left to rust away), etc.

Now, I do believe that we have the tire building technology and expertise, we have the work force, we just don't have the equipment and usable plants to bring the production up quickly. I remember reading some time back that one of the tire companies said it would take a minimum of 12 to 18 months to bring an already built structure back up to standards, equip it, hire / rehire workers etc., before it was able to produce any quantity of tires. This was in response to a question concerning their supporting the contract for tires on the military's Hummer vehicles and what would happen if trouble occurred over seas. Guess we will see if it occurs.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:50 AM   #19
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Delaine and Lindy

~I don't buy China made tires, I only run Goodyears and have no problems with them. ~
I checked the manufacturing code on our new rig's OEM Goodyear's, They are Chinese made.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:27 AM   #20
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Yes, our OEM tires were Good Year Marathons and in tiny printing by the rim was " Made in China". This was on our 09 Monty. We switched over to LT tires North American made.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote