Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2008, 02:45 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
BBQ

Salt Lick
I like to think I know BBQ, never missed the American Royal BBQ festival and contest in Kansas City, and I was the repair man for Ollie Gates, of Gates and Son BBQ for seven years, one of his stores, the original, right down the street from Arthur Bryant’s BBQ.
I know one has to factor in the different styles of preparing and Pork versus Beef, rubs, sauces, and smoking woods. It doesn’t take an expert to eat a rib to know it should fall off the bone, instead of having to chew it like a piece of rawhide.
Beans; beans should be BBQ beans, a little of the burnt end meat and some molasses, brown sugar, and possibly a secret ingredient or two.
My wife and I had been driving around the Austin-Buda-Kyle areas looking at property, and getting ‘The lay of the land’. We drove over a creek and down the road, when we smelled the heavenly odor of smoked food, my head snapped around and saw a large building covered by vegetation, some other buildings flanking it and a sign we could not read in the rear view mirror. I turned at the first opportunity, back-tracking the ¼ mile or so, pointing the nose of our Super-Duty Ford truck into the narrow drive of what turned out to be ‘The Salt Lick Bar-B-Q’ in Driftwood, Texas. We were both ‘Jonesing’ for some smoked meat and good beans to go with it. Tart Kosher pickles, some good old fat, greasy fries and we would be in the front row of heaven.
We parked back by the vineyard in an immense parking area, looked around and saw a sign, ’assembly area’, we walked over to that open building, which turned out to be just seating, off to the right was the entrance to the BBQ pit and order area.
Couples and families were walking in carrying big coolers, I thought to myself, “well, it’s way out here, they are buying in bulk“…. When I asked for a beer, I found that you must bring your beer with you. Texas, I guess??
I walked around, taking pictures, Sue got a menu and we sat to study it.
Family style (Per person) heaping helpings of beef brisket, sausage, and pork ribs served with potato salad, cole slaw and beans, ($18.95) was at the top of the menu.
We opted to order ‘to-go’, decided on a pound of ribs and shared one Brisket dinner. I decided we would take home a quart of beans as well, but alas, not a French fry in the place. I inquired if the beans had meat in it, the cashier nodded yes. I asked her what kind of wood was used to smoke the meat, she said, “Mesquite” a waiter immediately corrected her with “Live Oak” .
We bought four shirts, with “Way the heck out yonder.…but worth every mile” on them, two white, two black, for Sue and I.
We got it home, back in Buda, half in a trance from the wonderful smoky aroma emanating from the back seat, plated it and began. I asked Sue, “Where are the BBQ beans?”, all I saw were brown plain beans…a quart of them, “that’s it“, Sue said. “Bummer,” I said. No meat in them either.
The Brisket was tender and ‘to die for’ The ribs couldn’t have been tougher, smoky, but tough and disappointing.
Sorry, Salt Lick; “All Hat, and no cattle“…. Well maybe a little baby goat, but “no cattle.”
Y’all come up to Kansas City, I’ll show you how we smoke meat, fat yummy fry’s, tender fall off the bone ribs and tender smoked brisket as well. Oh, and meat in them beans………

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:34 AM   #2
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Kansas may not be on the way to Branson from Ohio, but I can sure make it be that way! Yall going back to Padre Island this year?
Careful on the way if you do!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:45 AM   #3
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Salt Lick is a nice place to visit, not one of my favorite places to have bar-b- que. To bad you and Sue were some what disappointed. However, there are some really good bar-b-que places in our area, just have to know where. Now about the beans, don't recall that down here we put much in the beans except salt pork. I recon when we want meat we have meat, if we want beans, we have beans. If we all did it the same way, there would be no opportunity for a new eating experience. What you describe for up there and how its done, does sound good. Maybe one day I'll get to check it out.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:14 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Check this information out!
http://www.americanroyalbbq.com/

Yummy!!!!!
Old 10-14-2008, 05:17 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Hmmm! Seems the National Overall BBQ Champions are the Swamp Boys, out of Florida.

Now that is for BBQ.

I like beans. I like BBQ. If I want them to mix I could put them in my mouth at the same time (smaller quantity - no comments please)

Now Jim, y'all just know that everything in Texas is better!!!!![]

Edited: By the way Jim, you do spin a good yarn!

Double Edit: Jim, next time you are in Texas, drop by the City Meat Market, in Giddings, TX. It's a little hole in the wall on the main drag of 290. BBQ is outstanding - and the beans were also.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:58 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, Wayne. Two things to do next time, find those BBQ joints, and meet Waynem and Miya, Colleen speaks highly of you two.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:24 AM   #7
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
OZZ, I had always heard about KC BBQ. I was in Lansing a few years back with my son. He was installing a satellite system at the prison there. Seems we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on the main drag in Lansing. Well, I decided to try some BBQ at a joint nearby. I suppose like you, I choose the wrong place, because the ribs had to be off a 300 lb boar. Tough and no meat. I was sorely disappointed.

The place near here we ate at is Novosad's Smoke House and Meat Market. The spare ribs were like you describe; falling off the bone. I also bought some of their link jalapeno sausage. While it tasted OK, you had to peel the tough casing off. I didn't like that.

I talked with the owner, and he uses pecan wood. Also, they have a big beer cooler. Who wants BBQ without an adult beverage? Well, didn't have me one, the medication I have been on won't mix with the beverages. I'll have to try it again soon. (off the meds now)
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:59 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I haven't had any luck with food in Leavenworth-Lansing, I bet there are some good places there, but I haven't found them.
I took care of the mechanical and electrical on two Subway shops there for years, so I was there all the time. I go to the VA hospital there for my mecical needs. About 45-55 minutes away from my house.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:27 AM   #9
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Being from Memphis and home of the World's Invitation Bar B Q contest, I can say I've had all kinds of Bar B Q.
Wet or Dry Ribs, pulled,chopped or sliced pork and much more...I've had them all.
If your ribs were tough then they were cooked too fast over a hot heat.
Any good rib, shoulder or brisket should be cooked at 225 degrees. Ribs 4-6 hours and shoulders and briskets 1.5 hr per pound.
Ozz, you got me wanting bar b q so I'll go to the store and buy a pork shoulder and smoke all day tomorrow. Oh did I mention that we make our own bar b q sauce from scratch.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:14 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Now, Hugh we need a picture of that! You do know what you are doing. I bought a Traeger pellet wood smoker, I can control the heat easily with it, just put your blend of cherry, hickory; whatever, pellets in the hopper, sit back and drink a few beers.
Liked that so much, I bought a Traeger pellet stove for the house. We love it.
Here is a link to their products;
http://www.traegergrills.com/
Old 10-14-2008, 10:37 AM   #11
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
I'll try and get the picture on the forum. If you ever do pork try injecting the meat with pure apple juice the night before smoking. Needles available at Tractor Supply or local farm store.
Also the rub (we make our own) needs to be rubbed in the night before.
Anyone wanting to know more about smoking (not grilling) I'll be glad to share what I know.
From those who don't know grilling is direct hot heat and smoking is low indirect heat.
Grilling is for steaks and smoking is for Bar B Q. Anybody that says they bar b q a steak you had better run from them.
Our shoulders are usually smoked about 10 hr.
Hugh
Old 10-14-2008, 10:46 AM   #12
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Oh I should have added. We use a Great Outdoors Smokey Mountain Series Smoker. It's the wide body because racks of ribs won't fit the narrow smoker.
We like it because it has a water pan over the heat that evaporates the water and keeps the meat moist. It also has a smoker box on top of the heat so you can add whatever wood chips you like..oak, hickory, apple.
Hugh
Old 10-14-2008, 11:05 AM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hugh, do you compete?
I got interested in smoking from a welder I got to know, 'Charlie's welding' He did all my custom stainless work for the restaurants I was taking care of, the guy was an artist.
Anyway, he competed and was very succesful, he was invited to the Jack Daniels competition among others, his son is 'Fast Eddy Maurin', another expert and a multi-winner at competitions, I even saw a show on BBQ contests on the food network, Eddie was the subject of it. Ed was a K.C. Mo. firefighter.
If you do compete, you probably know him.
We have an old store here in K.C. down in the river market district called Planters seed company. Planters has an old store and warehouse in a 100 plus year old building, wooden floors, big store-front windows, lots of history, anyway they have fresh spices and herbs, all the chief's (hope I spelled that right) in Kansas City like to shop there, as well as BBQ masters. If any of you visit K.C., try and take that place in, it is very interesting.
Hugh, I can tell you are no novice, it would be fun to chat with you sometime.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:19 PM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Sometimes a guy gets BBQ so tender...
Old 10-14-2008, 03:48 PM   #15
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Ozz, No I don't compete...unless its with friends. I would love to go thru the Planters Store and see the spices they have. I'm always trying new stuff but seem to return to the basics.
One of the first things I do when I get to a new town is after unhooking then looking for the Bar B Q stand. My motto is if a restaurant ain't smoking it ain't Bar B Q.
And when I'm smoking my other motto is "If your looking you ain't cooking" Anyone who smokes knows it takes a while to recover after you open the door.
OZZ if you want PM me your phone number and we'll have that chat about good eating.
OH I forgot we make our own vinger base cole slaw...
Hugh
Old 10-15-2008, 01:50 AM   #16
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Man, y'all are makin' me hungry. I love those spareribs. Something I like is to glaze the ribs with sauce during the last few minutes. I have some Habanero Pepper Marmalade that I tried recently. Got a bite, but still sweet. Mmmmm, good.

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:33 AM   #17
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
A thousand years ago ,in NC, I cooked 4 100 pound pigs on four different occasions. I started at midnight. There would be the pig, me, and a keg. Everyone would start showing up around mid morning and by a little after noon, the pig AND ME were done. Talk about not being able to move - i'm surprised I could even chew. DW did all the trimmin's of 'tater salad and cole slaw. Guests with families of about 50-60 also brought a dish. Talk about some good food!

I wish I had that cooker. All it was, was an upside down stainless steel box of aout 16-18 gauge. It stood about 4-65 feet high and about 1 1/2 foot down from the top there was a heavy duty mesh rack for piggy. All of the sides lifted on hinges for easy basting and placing of coals. The coals were started on the top of the box, providing a downward heat, and when embers, placed just along the side on the ground. In actuality you could cook a pig in 6 hoursl, but I reduced the coals for a much longer time and just kept piggy warm. DW made a vinegar basting sauce. Finger picking and finger licking good.

Jim, Coleen is just saying those nice things because she knew you were going to post them.

Thanks.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:03 AM   #18
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Now, Hugh we need a picture of that! You do know what you are doing. I bought a Traeger pellet wood smoker, I can control the heat easily with it, just put your blend of cherry, hickory; whatever, pellets in the hopper, sit back and drink a few beers.
Liked that so much, I bought a Traeger pellet stove for the house. We love it.
Here is a link to their products;
http://www.traegergrills.com/
Ozz,

My younger brother who lives in Oregon City, OR had a stroke last November. (Fell off a ladder, suffered a brain injury, and then had 2 strokes in the hospital). Doris and I have been taking care of him here in Florida since early January.

In mid-Feb he and I flew back to Portland so that he could check out his 5 acre spread, spend some time at his place of employment to get a feel for what it is going to take for him to return, and to have office visits with the original and post surgery medical team. He knew I was in the market for a new Grill and that I had been looking at 4 burner gas grills. He asked me if I had ever considered buying a Traeger, to which I responded "A what?!?" We stopped by a local Treager outlet, got some literature, and asked a bunch of questions. He then asked one of his neighbors and friend who has one if he would fire it up and cook a couple of steaks.

He insisted on buying me one. Initially, I was very reluctant to get one. I was focused on that 4 burner gas grill with all the bells and whistles. But, the more I looked into Treager the more I liked the concept. I've been big on indirect cooking for years and, as you know, that is what Treager is all about.

I got my Treager a month ago and have probably 75% of the time. Doris was skeptical about it at first, but is now a convert. My brother really enjoys the lamb chops I cook. This weekend, I'm slow cooking a 3lb turkey breast.

I have even figured a way to secure to the trailer hitch on Monty to take it with us wherever we go.

Have you ever used their apricot marinade?

Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote