Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2006, 04:56 PM   #1
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
FM Antenna

My wife says she's had enough. Every time we connect to cable at an RV campground, we have to turn off the TV amplifer in order to enable the cable to work properly. This, of course, disconnects the trailer TV antenna from the circuit - which is also used as the radio antenna. Thus the radio no longer functions - this has been previously discussed on other threads.

My original solution was to purchase a Radio Shack inside "amplified antenna". It seemed to work in town, but has proven to be much too tempermental in the campgrounds.

I have decided to look into installing an outside wall mounted antenna. Has anyone done so? And if so, where did they get it, and any comments, issues etc?

Thanks for comments.

rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:41 PM   #2
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi Rick,

The only problem with installing a radio antenna, is that a fiberglass shell doesn't offer much for a "ground plane".
I'm not sure how well a antenna will work without a good ground plane. You will have to look into it. The few times I have asked at a Radio Shack or other store like that, no one could tell me much. One RV place said to run a copper wire around the top of the trailer for a ground plane, like that would look good. I've never really seen many fiberglass trailers with a radio antenna. Good luck, keep us posted.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 05:54 AM   #3
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
JH

Forest River sells the Cardinal and Cedar Creek with side and sometimes roof mount radio antennas. Nuwa also sells the Hitchhiker with them.

My plan is to purchase one and initially hook it up inside the trailer to see how it works.

A 31" RV FM antenna is somewhat readily available - $20 - but I would like to mount it on the slide out wall behind the DVD player on my 3400. Since my trailer has slide awnings, mounting a 31" antenna in this area would cause the antenna to protrude above the awning. I would thus have to install it at an angle so it would not stick so high, or at an outward angle so it would clear the awing, or mount it lower on the outside wall thus having to bring the cable inside behind the TV. A shorter antenna would be nice, but as of yet have not found one. (Any help in the area would be beneficial).

But as of yet, don't know how to get the TV out since the fireplace inhibits access to the bottom of the TV.

I really think this should be Montana's problem, but they say the design of the trailer does not include the ability to watch cable TV and listen to the radio at the same time.

Huh??
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 07:11 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I just went a bought a FM auto antenna at Wally mart and hooked it up..Keep it inside of the cabinet and it works fine. One of these days when I get super ambitious I will hook it up outside. I note FM radio antennas on Boats..what do they use for a ground plane and..my Terry TT had a antenna on the roof that worked fine..how did Fleetwood do that ???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 07:19 AM   #5
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Marine supply store would be my suggestion. Try West Marine or Boats US.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 09:08 AM   #6
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
I don't think FM Antenna holds to the CB requirements for ground plane. I installed a $12.00 swivel fender mount auto antenna through the wall behind my slide mounted stereo. It is retractable and mostly left retracted...am wondering when I ever get enough extra $$ what it will be like to extend with a slide topper (which I don't have presently).
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote