Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2006, 04:56 AM   #1
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Cannot believe it, happened again

The other evening, the door to the bathroom would not open AGAIN!!

Some of you may remember that we were locked out of the bathroom while we were in the RGV. Al with help of another fellow managed to pry the door open and we replaced the inerds of the handle with OEM replacement purchased from a local dealer.

Now, with less than 6 weeks of use on the fixed handle, we went to get into the bathroom late at night, and it would not open again.

Al and John Bozarth managed to get the door open with less damage than last time. Al has not decided his fix yet.

But, I repeat!!

I WILL NEVER, EVER, CLOSE THAT DOOR WHEN I AM INSIDE THAT POTTY ROOM!

Lucky we were parked rather close to the rest rooms, and even luckier that one of the twins was not IN there when that door knob/lock failed again.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 05:29 AM   #2
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Carol..... I was stuck for about 1-1/2 hours in an outhouse at a campground once.
Long story... but the jest of it was a kid came and locked the door from the outside knowing full well that I was inside. (*#$@!)

(Some outhouses have locks on the outside for when they are transported).

I'm sure yours was cleaner and smelled better.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 05:33 AM   #3
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Carol, I have not got locked in but I went to open the door and the handle fell off and the medal piece inside fell out on the floor, We had to replace the whole thing.I like the new one better.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 05:41 AM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I guess just putting a curtain rod up and a blanket would be a little tacky???

At least the "door" wouldn't stick...

This is why Cheryl won't let me come up with any remodeling ideas around the house. She's really worried about the direction my mind takes sometime.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 06:03 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There have been enough failures of the door lock to safely assume that it will happen sooner or later so I think we will replace the one on our brand new 3400 with a good one before the problem occurs.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 06:40 AM   #6
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Carol,Happy to hear that you were able to get out! We have never had that happen and if it does it would probably be my luck to be the one inside and hubby out shooting the breeze with another fellow camper! Gosh good thing one of the twins didnt get locked in...When my daughter was 2 she locked herself in our bathroom in the house and that was nightmare enough.
Kathy
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 02:24 PM   #7
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
My bath door lock started to give problems so I went to Home Depot and bought one just like the one that came on the Monty new. The new one is a little heavier metal and works just like one at home.
It even has a lock and can be opened from outside with a key pin if the grandkids lock themselves in.
Only had to modify the lock hole on jam because the lock was larger than the original.
Much nicer lock than original equipment.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 03:41 PM   #8
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Carol
Its kinda funny but I am not going to laugh at all because it has not happen to Mary or me. I think I will remove the latch and replace it if possible but not from KEYSTONE. See you in the valley.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 07:36 PM   #9
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
I think I too would be making a trip to Home Depot for a better quality lock set.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 12:11 AM   #10
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Mmmm i think the next time I`am using the toliet I will bring my cell phone with me.How would you like to get that call from me."i`am peeing and I can`t get out"
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 02:55 AM   #11
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Carol,

Thanks for the post I told hubby about the problem. I would hate for him to be by himself and be locked in for days.

Looks like hurricane season has started. Glad we didn't order our Monty from the factory.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 03:50 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
What Keystone needs to install in the potty room is a Axe in a glass case.that says. It case of door lock failure break glass wield Axe.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:31 AM   #13
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Or maybe a WINDOW!! I spent this last weekend over on the coast looking through Teton Homes, Royals International, Carriage, Alfa, Holiday Rambler Pres. and Elite Suite series fifth wheels. Also looked into Class A motorcoaches and every coach I looked at, did not matter 5th or Class A, they ALL had BATHROOM WINDOWS!!!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 04:54 AM   #14
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I have seen those, too Dave, but I don't think you could squeeze your cat through there, could you??? Course people could hear you screaming... Depends on how sensitive your "embarrassment level" or "ego level" is.

Cheryl would probably wait for a while before yelling. I, on the other hand, would have no trouble in immediately yelling out, "HEY! I'M STUCK IN THE JOHN! CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME A HAND?!?" Now, I'm not sure if this statement would cause a overwhelming response at all from our camping neighbors (and Cheryl would probably want immediately to pack up and leave this particular CG), but I probably wouldn't hestitate to ask for assistance in a similar fashion...

I wouldn't plan on spending an inordinate amount of time in that environment. Anyway, campers always need something to talk about around the campfire, don't they?

I guess I don't embarrass easily...
Old 06-12-2006, 08:12 AM   #15
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Your right Dave,
They are not big enough to get your body through, but you could stick your head through and "call" / "yell" for help. =) Especially for those of us who are solo rv'ers.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:45 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Not only are we Rv'ers we have a bunch of Comedians here..Maybe we could do the monolog for the tonite show,,Just the thought of Dsprik hanging out the potty room window yelling.."i'm on the John and I need hand" cracks me up///
Old 06-12-2006, 11:43 AM   #17
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

Your right Dave,
They are not big enough to get your body through, but you could stick your head through and "call" / "yell" for help. =) Especially for those of us who are solo rv'ers.
That's right, Dave... you don't have a wife to thoroughly embarrass...
Old 06-12-2006, 11:45 AM   #18
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Not only are we Rv'ers we have a bunch of Comedians here..Maybe we could do the monolog for the tonite show,,Just the thought of Dsprik hanging out the potty room window yelling.."i'm on the John and I need hand" cracks me up///
Does that mean you wouldn't come help me...
Old 06-12-2006, 02:02 PM   #19
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
If you are having that much truble with the bathroom latch, why dont you go buy another one, or go to Home Depot and get a Kwikset latch or a privacy lock and install it in the rest room door. the latch mechanism might be defective and causing it to lock-up not allowing the handle to retract it thus locking you in.

TT2
Old 06-12-2006, 04:29 PM   #20
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
TT2,
Going to Home Depot and buying a new handle would be too easy. I like the idea of installing a window ~ just in case... =)