Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2006, 02:17 PM   #1
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Bathroom door woes

While we were out last week, the bathroom door handle dedided it was time to stop working. I at first blamed Marsha and then John for locking the door when I wanted to open the door late in the evening. Now those of you in the know probably realize there is not a lock there, so that was not the problem. Something in the mechanism simply broke. After 45 minutes of coercion and cajoling, we managed to get the entire unit out of the door.

Has anyone else had this problem, and what would be the chances of the Montana dealer having a replacement?

Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 02:27 PM   #2
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Wordsmith,

I've had that same thing happen on several of my doorknobs on my stick house. The house is only 10 years old but for some reason at least 6 of them just "broke". Now I've never seen this before but the only option for me was to replace them as they break. You're right, it's almost as if they're locked, even if it's not a locking knob. I think it's the quality of merchandise these days.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 02:43 PM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Ours broke while in RGV, the local Montana dealer had one on hand.

If you will remember, you may have read my posts, and my statements that I will NEVER ever close that door all the way again, IF I am on the inside! I fear it will do it again, in about 3 years. Someone keep reminding me will ya, DON"T SHUT THE DOOR CAROL!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 05:08 PM   #4
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Carol,

The only thing worse than getting locked IN is getting locked OUT whe you really need to get in there. LOL

Maybe you need to keep a screwdriver in there to remove the handle from the inside. Perhaps keep it in a little box with a glass front and a small hammer on a chain, with a sign that says, "Break in case of Emergency". Or maybe keep some extra reading material in there so you have something to do until help arrives.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 06:16 PM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
A cell phone to call the local locksmith would be more useful than a screwdriver! GESHHHH, It took Al about 45 minutes to get that thing to let loose, similar to what Wordsmith is describing. And, he had some help. This helper supposedly had installed a LOT of doors in homes and stuff, carpenter type tradesman. He said he had never seen such a thing. His technical knowledge of doors, etc was not much use, but his brawn was. HA HA

And John B. (JLBOZ60)was a big help when it came to repairing the mess.

This was one time when I was glad we were parked right across from the bathhouses at the campground. I was figuring I would be using it, when Al was having so much trouble getting the knob loose and the door open.

BLAH, well, makes for a good story, eh??
Old 04-13-2006, 02:27 AM   #6
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
Maybe we should revert to the old fashioned rope latch like they had on cabin doors in the old time.. rope in.. room is occupied.. etc...I can't even think about how claustrophobic that littie-bittie room would be if you couldn't get out... ugh...
Montana_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 03:13 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well after reading the "bathroom door" catastrophe thread. I amd first going to buy a spare up front knowing that it will be a matter of time till one of us in locked either in or out of the WC aanndd I am going to take out disassemble and examine the thing while it is working so I can better figure out how to get it open when it breaks. Wonder if there is a replacement we can buy that is better than the OEM lock. Whay would not a standard "good" house door assembly fit..Might have to make a bigger hole but that is not a big deal??? Will inspect when we get the camper.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 03:21 AM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I don't know about the RV dealer/parts house having a replacement, but I'd bet they do. However, if it were my potty door, I would consider upgrading to a higher quality latch. That is one area that you, more than likely, get what you pay for.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 03:28 AM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Here is Al's take on this, he says the door latch was misadjusted for 3 years, he moved the striker plate so it did not bind. He feels that fact that we had to "push" on the door to get the latch to catch played a big part in the failure of the handle unit. He had adjusted just weeks before the failure. He feels that it may not fail again now that it is aligned.

The "throw" portion of the OEM handle is not available at the hardware stores, he looked. He could have replaced with a new handle from Lowes or Home Depot or someplace like that. He would have had to chisle more of the door to get a different handle in. He is not real fond of that type of work, so chose to go back and get another OEM handle and just repair the minor damage that was done to the door when they muscled the broken handle parts out of the door.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:16 AM   #10
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Now you folks have me worried. I am extremely claustrophobic. Panic in elevators, hate restaurants and sit in aisle seat in the back of church.
I am going to have Chuck put tape on that lock. Just the two of us. There's always the door going to the living area.
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 03:49 PM   #11
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Ours broke and Bob replaced it with a much heavier one from Home Depot.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:31 PM   #12
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Getting stuck in a small room is everyone's nightmare. I too am going to look into a better quality door knob to replace that OEM cheapo.

A little off topic but two weeks ago I completed a 4 day course on elevator repair and this only allows me to do certain things and anything major I must have a class A elevator mechanic with me.

You must be a certified millwright or electrician to take this course and the gentleman that put the course on has had a very interesting carreer and he has been a professional witness at quite a few fatalities involving elevators,he does offer some advice. Try to be the first person in an elevator but if you want to hold an elevator for someone, step inside and hold it from the inside. That way, in the unlikely event that the switches would short or fail, you will not be the person crushed when the elevator takes off with you being half in and half out.
The most likely time for the switch to fail is after the door is held.

When you consider the number of elevators in use, they are an extremely safe device but like anything made by the hand of man, they do fail on occasion , often with grisly results.

Sorry for rambling................ take care and yes I still ride in elevators, Don
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 08:47 AM   #13
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CountryGuy

A cell phone to call the local locksmith would be more useful than a screwdriver! GESHHHH, It took Al about 45 minutes to get that thing to let loose, similar to what Wordsmith is describing. And, he had some help. This helper supposedly had installed a LOT of doors in homes and stuff, carpenter type tradesman. He said he had never seen such a thing. His technical knowledge of doors, etc was not much use, but his brawn was. HA HA

This was one time when I was glad we were parked right across from the bathhouses at the campground. I was figuring I would be using it, when Al was having so much trouble getting the knob loose and the door open.

BLAH, well, makes for a good story, eh??
Who would have thought such a small thing could be so much trouble? The bolt just would not come back far enough for the longest time.

Oh, and we were parked across from the bathhouse as well!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 05:17 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm sorry, Carol, but I know you well enough I cannot help but grin when I think of you stuck inside th e toily, trying to get out. I'm sure Al knows what I mean, if he'd own up to it! Seriously, I'm glad it didn't happen to you.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 05:21 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bob n Pam, was it a good fit without modification for the one from Home Depot?

Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote