Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2006, 03:00 PM   #1
Montana_5629

M.O.C. #5629
3295RK dual batteries wiring

Can anyone tell me how to hook up the battery cables? It's a dual battery system and the old ones were removed before the cables were labeled. I sure would hate to fry two brand new batteries.

Montana_5629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 03:16 PM   #2
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Buckysmate,

If the batteries are 12 V, then they are connected in parallel...that is, positive to positive and negative to negative. The trailer wiring is then connected, typically, to one of the batteries.

If they are 6 V, then they are connected in series; the positive trailer wiring to the positive of the first battery, its negative terminal to the positive of the second battery, and the trailer negative wiring to the negative terminal of the second battery.

Although there are no diagrams, this URL has a good description of all you ever wanted to know about batteries, including (well down the site) how to hook them up.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 03:17 PM   #3
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Well, it would help to include the URL...http://phrannie.org/battery.html

Bob
Old 04-07-2006, 02:12 AM   #4
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
The link attached regarding batteries is by far the most comprehensive article I have tried to wade though. I was wondering if any of you that actually understand that article have decide on which is better for RV's - two 6 Volt Batteries or two 12 Volt batteries. I am hearing more and more that leads me to believe that the 6 Volt batteries are better but I don't think I understand why they are better. Any comments you all have would be appreciated. We just bought our first 5th Wheel, a 3075Rl Montana, so I am new to all this. Thanks.
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 02:58 AM   #5
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
gojodo, I want to add a second battery to my rig, and have had the same question. From what I can gather, the golf cart batteries will give you a few more amp hours, but the biggest advantage is they will stand more charge/discharge cycles, and therefore last longer. Since I already have one relatively new 12 volt battery, I think I will just add another and replace them both with golf cart batteries when they die.
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:04 PM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by firetrucker

Well, it would help to include the URL...http://phrannie.org/battery.html

Bob

What No Pictures???? on that URL
It will take me days to read and comprehend all that information.

TT2

Old 04-08-2006, 06:51 AM   #7
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Don,

I've been an editor for years, and I've not been terribly successful in getting my writers to draw simple pictures to go along with their complicated verbal descriptions. And it's so much easier to get someone to look at the picture and find out if it says what you want it to.

Bob
Old 04-08-2006, 07:33 PM   #8
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by firetrucker

Don,

I've been an editor for years, and I've not been terribly successful in getting my writers to draw simple pictures to go along with their complicated verbal descriptions. And it's so much easier to get someone to look at the picture and find out if it says what you want it to.

Bob
I agree Bob, I love Pictures, I dont read too well. as the saying goes "A picture is worth a thousand words."

I seen a picture for a duel batteries 12VDC, and one for a set of sixes, if I ever find it again I will defenatly save it, for me and anybody else.
On my original post after yours, I was just funning around I hope you didn't take me serious.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:03 PM   #9
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Here is a drawing on hooking up four six volt batteries. I hope this helps.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 09:43 PM   #10
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
I think that's a pretty good picture, John. Put a box around each pair of 6 volt batteries and you've got two 12 volt batteries in parallel.

Don, I always sound more serious than I am. I agree with you 100% about too many words. Way too easy to get lost before you understand what's being talked about.

Bob