Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2006, 02:11 PM   #1
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
Keystone supplied access and installation techniqu

I am becoming more frustrated day by day by the keystone supplied accessories and their installation technques. It seems the cheapest way is always the only way for Keystone. For example, the supplies sewer hose spring leaks the first month. I had to replace it and the new hose, much better quality and 20 foot long with excellent fittings and an elbow on the distill end was only $16.00.

Now the wire harness hangars under two slide broke on the distil end. The proximal end has a hinge type mount. The other end is fastened flat with a couple self tapping screws. Every time the slide moves in and out, this end flexes and fatigues the plastic, which finally gave way.

Several rubber seals have come off because they were glued on with cheap adhesive and no mechanical assist.

What else can I expect.

RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 02:56 PM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Geesh, you got a sewer hose from Keystone??? Our dealer threw one in, it was so cheap we gave it to the people who purchased our TT from us. We went to CW and bought something better.

Far as the rest of your thread, sorry to hear that, is your unit still under warranty??? Sorry to hear of your troubles, maybe someone will happen along to help you with those situations.

Good luck, hope ya get it all fixed soon and have nothing but happy trails.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 03:02 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I know there was a thread about the wire harness hangers breaking not long ago. If I recall correctly there was a solution posted on how to fix this problem to keep it from happening again. I am sorry to hear you are having some trouble with your Montana, hope that your dealership will be able to come up with a fix that will have you back on the road to happier times.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 03:55 PM   #4
moc5er
Site Team

M.O.C. #4839
I think the fix to the wire harness hanger was to install a door hinge. Do a search for it. We also had to upgrade our sewer hose that the dealer supplied. I am not aware of a sewer hose supplied by Keystone. You can count on having some problems that will creep up after bouncing these units down the highways at 55+ mph.
moc5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 03:55 PM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
This is our 3rd fifth wheel. Manufacturers DO NOT supply any hoses - that is a "gift" from your dealer. We have always kept ours for emergencies and bought a much heavier one to use on a daily basis. To me this is just one of those things you buy to get ready to hit the road - like a coffee pot, sheets, blankets, drill, hammer, etc., etc. We have met some campers who thought that because RVs are "furnished", everything will be included. I hope your dealer can help you with the slide. Montanas are a great unit - don't give up.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 04:36 PM   #6
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Gin,

It's not Montana or Keystone that "throws in" your sewer hose, it's your dealer. My dealer was not the best but they told me I would be better off keeping my old hose and were very honest with me that the one they "gave me" was very cheap. I just kept my old one that I had upgraded and let them keep the new one to throw in for another customer.

I'm sure you're a little frustrated but it's really not an issue with your Monty.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 08:28 AM   #7
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RADHAZJOE

Now the wire harness hangars under two slide broke on the distil end. The proximal end has a hinge type mount. The other end is fastened flat with a couple self tapping screws. Every time the slide moves in and out, this end flexes and fatigues the plastic, which finally gave way.

Several rubber seals have come off because they were glued on with cheap adhesive and no mechanical assist.

What else can I expect.
RADHAZJOE,

Here's a link to my fix for what sounds like the same problem:
http://montanaadministrator.forumco....C_ID~13147.asp
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 11:48 AM   #8
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
Thanks for the info on the hinges. My dealer is getting Keystone to come us with replacement assemblies which I will install with hinges when they arrive. Dealer also said they break quite often

But if so many of these break within the first year, why do they still install them that way? Oh well.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 01:22 PM   #9
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
I have to say the sewer hose that our Montana dealer gave us was of very good quality...but on the RV that we had b/f ...junk and it was given by the dealer...I think it is still up on a shelf in the garage.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 04:45 PM   #10
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I think you got a great deal from Keystone a free sewer hose.
Mine is pritty crappy.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:35 PM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RADHAZJOE

Thanks for the info on the hinges. My dealer is getting Keystone to come us with replacement assemblies which I will install with hinges when they arrive. Dealer also said they break quite often

But if so many of these break within the first year, why do they still install them that way? Oh well.
We've not had these kind of failures and our rig is six years old and has been on the road full time for over five years. Guess we either got a good product or are extremely lucky.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 10:43 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Keystone does not provide the sewer hose or any of the connectors. That's something the dealer choses to provide or not provide. I hope the dealer providing a cheap hose is not a sign of a bad dealer.

The wire hangers have been a problem and was reported here. Keystone read about it here and one of our members reported here Keystone told them they are changing the design. So it pays to report problems here.

Any sewer hose laying on concrete or gravel or other hard surface is not going to have a long life because it shimmies against that surface when you are dumping.

I would suggest you let Keystone know about the seals coming loose. In 40,000 miles we've never had that problem. Sounds like they got a bad batch of cement or a bad supplier. They might want to know about this.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote