Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2006, 03:02 AM   #21
thook
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3100
Sorry about your weather..........was 83 here in Casa Grande yesterday..only suppose to be 79 today.

thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 06:09 AM   #22
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
I think there are at least four different issues being discussed here.

One is awning slap. It happens on long awnings in the open position. Wind gets under the awning, billowing it out, and causing it to slap and stretch. A center support (as in Fordzilla’s link), extending from the awning roller to the RV will help mitigate that condition.

When a long awning is in the stowed position it can develop a longitudinal oscillation from one end to the other, making it sag in the center, stretching the fabric, making it hard to open and close. A support, fixed to the RV, which supports the center of the awning helps in this condition.

Improper stowing of the awning arms and a malfunctioning awning ratchet can cause the awning to swing out from the RV causing all kinds of problems. Fastening the arms can help here.

But I think the big problem that most people are seeing is when a very strong broadside wind gets between the side of the RV and the rolled up awning fabric (ronnilu’s post). If the awning ratchet is broken, or if the wind is strong enough to break or strip the locking gear (ratchet), then even with the awning arms secured the awning fabric will billow out and unroll. You need a locking device that will keep the awning tube from spinning.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 07:01 AM   #23
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
paulrem: Very familiar with that description of southern Idaho. I lived in Wendell for over ten years, then moved on to Homedale for awhile. This wind we encountered that unfurled the awning was one of the worst I've seen. The incident happened as we came onto I84 in Pocatello from the north, but the strong winds continued clear across the state! About the only thing I didn't like about Idaho was the wind.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 07:33 AM   #24
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
I lived in Burley for 15 years. I didn't realize the wind blew there until one day it stopped and I fell over.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 06:43 AM   #25
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Exactly, Sweetfire!
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote