Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2005, 06:05 PM   #21
Montana_1892
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1892
hi, i'll probably get flamed, but if you had bought a Dodge, you wouldn't need to get reprogrammed.

Montana_1892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 08:08 PM   #22
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
This was a mistake. please read on.... Sorry about that!!
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 08:09 PM   #23
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Grey-ghost,
Can't let that pass. They sell reprogramers for Dodge as well. It's the numbers, man. Just the numbers.

Bottom line, I may talk myself into looking for a more appropriate tow vehicle for the Cambridge. Despite my connection via GMI, I plan to look at Ford, GM, Dodge, Freightliner, Navistar, and anything else that shows up interesting. I happen to think times are very interesting. GM has a new design in the works, Dodge has to realign between Cummins and Mercedes, Ford needs a better relationship with Navistar and there needs to be some real competition for Allison. And, there will always be room for the after market guys. Maybe I'll tow a couple of years before I make the jump. But at the end of the day, I hope it will not be an emotional decision without regard to the numbers.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:51 PM   #24
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave,
Try looking into this website. www.neelycoble.com
They make the M2 Trail-Hauler by Freightliner, This or the Kodiak from GM is what I was looking into for hauling my Cambridge, that was until I got hurt on the job and have had to use my retirement accts and some investment accts to keep health insurance and things going. The good part is someday I will heal and be able to rebuild those accts. Enjoy!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 03:06 AM   #25
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Thanks for the link
Dave
Old 09-05-2005, 04:23 AM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dave e Victoria..Good points.The diesel motor has been in wide use in Europe for a long time. In view of our environmental and fuel issues the diesel motor is beginning to make sense here in the USA. the big three are spending a lot of $ in developing better diesels for the future as you noted. I took the gamble of NOT buying a diesel in the 05 Ford 350 chancing that in a couple of years we will have enhanced diesel motor on the market, and I think they will. A lot of the Ford folks around here are talking about a Ford/ Cummings relationship for example.The V-10 is a good motor and will pull any Montana with ease however it sure likes to pull up to the pump...Glad we only use it to Tow.I think in a couple of years or so the big three will have a much better diesel motor for us to choose from..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 08:50 AM   #27
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
I'd like to have that Caterpillar C-7 engine. I'd even buy a Ford if the Cat was in it, 3/4 or 1 T that is. Its' dimensions are only slightly larger than my Cummins, but at 310 HP it developes 850 lb ft of torque.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 03:16 PM   #28
jerryb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #137
The guys that have the C7 in their class A's are not to happy, low power and poor economy. I know one who is trying to force a buy back.
jerryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 04:51 PM   #29
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Hmmm, Suppose they need a chip or programmer? Actually, the Powerstroke and the Duramax are clean new designs taking advantage of a lot of new thinking and technology. It would not surprise me to hear some others had to catch up. Also, the aftermarket guys will go after the big three markets first. Like I said before, these are interesting times. I'm inclined to make do for the time being.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:13 PM   #30
Montana_1631
Established Member

M.O.C. #1631
Well folks I decided not to go with a chip. I have a 2004LLY Duramax and I'm pulling a 3685FL I weighted it on the scales full of fuel and water without me and the wife onboard we weighted in at 20200lbs. All I have done so far is changed the intake over to a K&N air intake and then I went to a 4" exhaust turbo back and so far I took it to a diesel mech up in oregon and he says the system that I put in will give me about 40 more hp and about 80 ft lbs of torque and it gave me about 1 1/2 to 2 mile to the gallon better. I have been able to pull Donner Summit going out of California at 60 mph and that is just a little bit better than with the stock system. We just took a trip back to the midwest and down to Louisana and back through Oaklahoma and took I40 back and the best I did was 11.7 mpg and the lowest I got was 9.8mpg right now I'm happy with the way it pulls but the only problem is with the 4" exhaust during the heavy pulls I run about 1280 degrees exhaust temp and the right floor board gets quite hot so now I'm going to have to find a way to deflect the heat.

Puzzie Pigpen
3500 dullie Duramax
3685FL Montana
Montana_1631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 05:20 PM   #31
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
It is not true that bigger exhaust will cause power lost. The fact is that the more air you are moving through with less restrictions the better you are because cool ambient air causes the engine to burn more of the fuel than on that has a higher temp as long as you do not have a straight thru exhaust. I have done a lot of research on this before i purchased mine. Also the warranty will not be voided because there is a law that has been in affect to this very reason. Think about it. On cooler days you have probably noticed that your vehilce seems to have more power than on hotter days so the cooler you can kept the air the better you are. That is because of the air density. The more air that you can move without the restrictions such as a small exhaust with the bends that are not smooth will cause more turbulance and less flow than one that is designed for that. The reason that some see higher egt's is they may not have done anything with the exhaust and when you dump more fuel into the cumbustion chambers and restrict the output well guess want higher temps. I have also done this on my motorcycle and if i run with straight pipes after rejetting the performance goes down because of the exhaust dynamics and how they work and that is a story in itself.I can use the same jetting and add the proper exhaust and baffle and you won't believe the diff. what i am saying is the performance stuff works if you use the proper equipment and do ALL the right stuff. I would not just add a chip w/out exhaust and air filter mods. Why do you think that some of them have diff. settings for towing etc. Adding a lot of fuel with a load and not letting it out BAD,BAD,BAD. With my 2 cents worth i use the banks system and VERY pleased with performance and incresed my mpg about 10%.
Darrell&Pam
99 f250 p.s crewcab
373 gears
banks stinger plus
temp,egt,boost gauges
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 02:46 AM   #32
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
My 2 cents ~ can't resist. I am not a auto engineer by any means. However, I am physics/chemistry teacher and I can tell you that Darrell is 100% correct on the cooler air statement. As he said, cooler air is more dense (molecules not bouncing all over the place). This means there is much more oxygen per liter of air. Obviously, all combustion comes from O2. The more you have, the more efficient the burn. The warmer (or hotter) the air, the more active the molecules are and the further apart the O2 is. O2 is a very heavy molecule in air. The further they are apart, the less dense the air. However, because O2 is further apart, it allows room for more H2O (water/humidity), N2 (nitrogen), CO2, argon, and a few other molecules that do nothing to cause a burn reaction, and in fact, they add to deposits in your system.

And I know there are methods to increase air flow into the burn system of an internal combustion engine, but would you rather have good clean air, packed with O2 going into your system, or air filled with junk being forced in?

Like I said, I don't know that much about engineering, but I know HOT AIR when I see it!
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 04:57 AM   #33
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I bet this toic comes up again. Anyone want to guess how long before it does?
Old 09-09-2005, 04:07 PM   #34
Montana_4149
Established Member

M.O.C. #4149
CKECK OUT BANKS. GALE BANKS HAS FORGOT MORE ABOUT GETTING LOTS OF POWER SAFLEY OUT OF DIESELS THAN MOST PEOPLE WILL EVER KNOW !!!! CKECK IT OUT, I AM A FIRM BELIEVER IN THE MAN .MY DURAMAX HAS ALMOST 500HP AND 900 POUND FEET OF TORQUE AT THE REAR WHEELS !!! IT IS FUN TO BLOW OFF MUSTANGS AND CAMAROS WITH MY big dually !! HA-HA
Montana_4149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 05:37 PM   #35
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Mooter, what's your mileage, mpg, with that?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 08:42 PM   #36
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Hey Mooter,
Have you done anything special to the supension? I know the extra horsepower in my truck (in the neighborhood of 400hp) can be a thrill but easily outruns the capability of the suspension -- for instance, I can easily break away the rear end in an accelerating turn. The duallies probably help here a lot but still..... I do agree, all the extra getup and go is a lot of fun.

As an aside, I built an aircraft and installed 50 % more horsepower than the aircraft was originally designed for. It is truely a kick. Horsepower rules.....
Old 09-09-2005, 09:34 PM   #37
Montana_4149
Established Member

M.O.C. #4149
I average 10-12 mpg loaded that is set the cruise and you forget you are towing anything !! and 16-18 empty on the highway. I did not do anything to the suspention, I can break the dualls loose on pavement up till about 20 dry and when it is wet i can kick it sideways at any speed even at 75, but this is all controlled by the 6 gun and my size 14 !!
Montana_4149 is offline   Reply With Quote