Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2005, 01:26 PM   #21
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Rich
Well it is good to hear that we will most likely not have, Roof bubbles, Water system leaks,Overhead fan noise, axel out of alignment, Fuses blowing, Slide leaks, Audio system noise or improperly wired. noisy water pump,Frame separation. drawers /cabinets falling off. Clogged water lines,Tv not wired correctly,day shades falling off..we are looking forward to that>>>
[/quote]

Rich,

Roof bubbles, likelihood, LOW

Water system leaks, likelihood, medium high to high, happens all the time in coaches produced by all manufacturers, not all that UNcommon.

Overhead fan noise: likelihood: depends on your hearing, lots of units we have been in have it, but the owners do not seem to even notice.

axel out of alignment: likelihood: low, that is why Keystone ditched AlKo Kobler and went to Dexter, wasn't it??

fuses blowing: likelihood, medium, fuses blow all over the world everyday in every possible useage imaginable.

slide leaks: likelihood, probably low, most units don't seem to leak, but those that do have a heck of a time getting em fixed.

Audio system problems: likelihood: HIGH, rip the sucker out on the first day after delivery and buy something decent. Not worth worrying about.

Noisy water pump: Likelihood: HIGH HIGH HIGH, pull the threads on MOC and follow the suggestions, from the padding under the unit to the padding of the lines through out the unit to putting in the flexible hose where required. Deal with it the first week and forget it. We all have that.

Frame seperation: likelihood: LOW! Pretty sure that Keystone and Lippert have addressed this trouble in new units, noting that they have moved the king pin back on several of the units about 9 inches. Watch out if you buy one of those and want a short bed truck. Better have that slider hitch. (course I see some rumbles about something new with hitches,,sooooo??? hmmmmmm????)

Drawers/cabinets falling off: Drawers likelihood: low. Cabinets falling off: likelihood, very low. How many cases of that have we really heard of on MOC??? The cabinets falling off?? One or two, this is not a bent axel situation. LOW likelihood.

Clogged water lines: likelihood: low, again, rarely heard of.

TV not wired right: Likelihood: Medium. You will know in the first day or so, deal with it, fix it yourself and be over the angst.

Day shades falling off: likelihood: LOW to non existant. Likelihood that one may tear or those little bobbins on the end will come off: MEDIUM HIGH. Read the MOC archives and remember how to put them up and down, slowly and slightly pulling out. This will extend the life dramatically. OHhHH, and unless you are window opening freaks, take the handles off the windows behind the table and where ever they have those handles that turn. Then you won't have to deal with getting caught on the handles. We store the handles in the cabinet above each window, take it down when we want to open a window, slide it on the mechanism, open window. Done deed. Reverse the action when we want to close. How many times in 5 to 6 months of use this year have we opened them?? maybe 5!

Been said here before, we hear more about the problems than we ever do about the rigs that are wonderful and almost trouble free.

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 01:35 PM   #22
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by EAGLEONE

= =Even with slide covers I get black marks on the carpet which they are supposed to stop.==
I have to admit this comment really confuses me.

Are you referring to the slide toppers??? the awnings over the slides?? If so, I cannot get the connection between the slide toppers and black marks on the carpet. I could be wrong, but I thought when there was a problem with black marks on the carpet it was cause dirt was getting drug in with the rollers and all that stuff under the unit that makes the slides go in. I thought I read somewhere that it could be caused by useing the wrong lubricant on slide parts??

Can you enlighten me, maybe I just don't understand your comment.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:45 PM   #23
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
CountryGuy, that was one heck of a list. How long did it take to spell check that???
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 03:13 PM   #24
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
dsprick

Rich's list, just my verbose response. Spell chek?? what's that??
Old 11-09-2005, 03:52 PM   #25
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Al & Carol,

Somestimes, I feel bad about using spell check. I stand out a little too much and I just know people are starting to talk. I did miss a misspelling once. Thank goodness for the "Edit" button! And then I worry that people know that I went in to correct something because they can see the big, blaring "EDITED BY...".

BTW, I took your "Blessing" quote and made a nice colored poster out of it. I have it taped to my fridge. It's a terrific quote. (That wasn't copyrighted, was it??? )
Old 11-10-2005, 04:08 AM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CountryGuy

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Rich
Well it is good to hear that we will most likely not have, Roof bubbles, Water system leaks,Overhead fan noise, axel out of alignment, Fuses blowing, Slide leaks, Audio system noise or improperly wired. noisy water pump,Frame separation. drawers /cabinets falling off. Clogged water lines,Tv not wired correctly,day shades falling off..we are looking forward to that>>>
Rich,

Roof bubbles, likelihood, LOW

Water system leaks, likelihood, medium high to high, happens all the time in coaches produced by all manufacturers, not all that UNcommon.

Overhead fan noise: likelihood: depends on your hearing, lots of units we have been in have it, but the owners do not seem to even notice.

axel out of alignment: likelihood: low, that is why Keystone ditched AlKo Kobler and went to Dexter, wasn't it??

fuses blowing: likelihood, medium, fuses blow all over the world everyday in every possible useage imaginable.

slide leaks: likelihood, probably low, most units don't seem to leak, but those that do have a heck of a time getting em fixed.

Audio system problems: likelihood: HIGH, rip the sucker out on the first day after delivery and buy something decent. Not worth worrying about.

Noisy water pump: Likelihood: HIGH HIGH HIGH, pull the threads on MOC and follow the suggestions, from the padding under the unit to the padding of the lines through out the unit to putting in the flexible hose where required. Deal with it the first week and forget it. We all have that.

Frame seperation: likelihood: LOW! Pretty sure that Keystone and Lippert have addressed this trouble in new units, noting that they have moved the king pin back on several of the units about 9 inches. Watch out if you buy one of those and want a short bed truck. Better have that slider hitch. (course I see some rumbles about something new with hitches,,sooooo??? hmmmmmm????)

Drawers/cabinets falling off: Drawers likelihood: low. Cabinets falling off: likelihood, very low. How many cases of that have we really heard of on MOC??? The cabinets falling off?? One or two, this is not a bent axel situation. LOW likelihood.

Clogged water lines: likelihood: low, again, rarely heard of.

TV not wired right: Likelihood: Medium. You will know in the first day or so, deal with it, fix it yourself and be over the angst.

Day shades falling off: likelihood: LOW to non existant. Likelihood that one may tear or those little bobbins on the end will come off: MEDIUM HIGH. Read the MOC archives and remember how to put them up and down, slowly and slightly pulling out. This will extend the life dramatically. OHhHH, and unless you are window opening freaks, take the handles off the windows behind the table and where ever they have those handles that turn. Then you won't have to deal with getting caught on the handles. We store the handles in the cabinet above each window, take it down when we want to open a window, slide it on the mechanism, open window. Done deed. Reverse the action when we want to close. How many times in 5 to 6 months of use this year have we opened them?? maybe 5!

Been said here before, we hear more about the problems than we ever do about the rigs that are wonderful and almost trouble free.

[/quote]

We expect the very best..and prepare for the very worst.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 04:37 AM   #27
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Ditto what Rich said (at the end).
Old 11-10-2005, 06:43 AM   #28
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
I guess I am another happy Montana owner who had their unit built with zero major defects. Have I had a few problems, of course, but I have been able to resolve the problems with a simple call to the dealer I bought my unit from. Am I in the minority here with a unit that was well made and have had no problem with? I really don't think so. The majority of the people who post here, IMO, love their Montana and don't mind saying so.

Since we took possession of our Montana, we have had it back to the dealer twice, once for a water leak from the washer/dryer combo and the second time for a small list of minor items that needed to be repaired. The biggest problem we have had with our unit is that the windows would not open. They were glued shut. Keystone replaced all of them and they work fine. We have not had the problems that I have seen posted here. Our audio system works fine, the shower unit is flush against the wall, the Fantastic fan works great after we reversed the polarity and our thermostat works.

I haven't had a situation where I needed to contact Keystone about my Montana. A simple phone call to the dealer has resolved all of the problems we have had. The dealer even shipped a part down here to Florida for me that had been ordered before we left for the winter. They even gave me the name of a dealer down here that they contacted and would do the work. Where else are you going to get that type of Customer Service today?

We just pulled our unit from southeast Minnesota to Southwest Florida with no problems with the Montana or the tow vehicle. The tires are okay, axles fine, the lugs are okay, the kingpin stayed put, no problems at all. Oops, I did have two drawers that opened on the way down here but with the twist of a screwdriver to spread the male part of the drawer; that problem was solved.

We get what we pay for. I am very happy with what I spent my hard earned money for. Both the Montana and the service after the sale.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 08:07 AM   #29
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Gary and Karen
Thank you for saying what a lot of us don't take the time to say. We are with you, a few minor things, we fixed. We love our Montana and the few times I have contacted Keystone and their vendors, I have been very satisfied. When I visit other forums, the theme seems to be "be as negative as you can". In fact I have seen some of the posts that are on the MOC on other forums with the name changed! I hate to see the MOC become like the other forums.
Happy trails.................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 08:38 AM   #30
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Al & Carol,

BTW, I took your "Blessing" quote and made a nice colored poster out of it. I have it taped to my fridge. It's a terrific quote. (That wasn't copyrighted, was it??? )
You are most welcome to use my quote, which technically, if I understand copyright law, was copyrighted by me the moment I posted it to the internet. However, the subject of copyright is complicated, messy, and this forum is not the place for long discussions on that. I am sure there are forums for copyright somewhere on the net.

In the meantime, please enjoy the quote.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:06 PM   #31
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
So far I'm thrilled with my unit and the response from Montana, that's why I gave them kudos here!

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 01:06 PM   #32
montanared
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3903
My sentiments echo richfaa and gkbutler. The problems I have had so far have been so minor I fixed them myself as it wasn't worth the effort to tow it to the dealer. One MINOR water leak... loose fitting. Half turn and no more leak. And I suspect I am more the norm than the exception.
montanared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 02:04 AM   #33
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am no doubt viewed as a harsh critic of RV quality /workmanship..and I am...However I completely understand that overall the Montana and other comparable units are well designed considering the punishment they take.I also understand that the probability that any individual will find a MAJOR defect on their Montana is low,,It is like being struck by lightening..your chances are astronomical ..but still people get struck every day.It is more the minor things that bug me..rips, tears, leaks, loose fittings, noisy pumps,etc...and it bothers me even more that we are so conditioned to it that we see it as 'It goes with the territory"..and...having worked with Q/C in large organizations..I understand that these minor workmanship issues are the EASIEST to remedy.Don't want to detract from my rep as a "harsh Critic" and I will remain one..however..I do understand the the probability that we will get a no major defect Montana are high.. As we said before we hope for the very best ..but prepare for the very worst.

Would go march in the Parade today but my Uniform seems to have shrunk..To all veterans...well done...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 10:15 AM   #34
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We've bounced this house down the road for more than 35,000 miles in three years. It has not been trouble free nor aggravation free. But it's been far better than other brands we've owned and it has held up better.

But I want to add that not only has it been a good unit, the customer service we've witnessed from Keystone/Montana has been first rate. When we spend this much money for a fifthwheel and plan to live in it for extended periods, I do not want to feel abandoned by the manufacturer. Many of us here can say we are very pleased with Keystone as well as with our Montana.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:09 PM   #35
sgf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #680
Gotta put my 2 cents here, on our last trip of this season,we have been trouble free for a year;one of our landing gear would not retract.Called keystone and Tom replied you are the eyes and ears in the field and so on,never asked about our problem and did not offer any advise.Well. I was not to happy with that reply so checked all warranty and found out Lippert had a two year warranty and they supplied the landing legs.To make a long story short , I received a new landing leg free from lippert with excellant help from George.Lippert ,george ,MIMF2 all receive accolades from me ;but at least keystone could have sent me in the correct direction which they did not.They have had good support in the past but this time is was not,hope this is not the direction they have elected to go.
sgf is offline   Reply With Quote