Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2005, 06:28 AM   #1
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
HEY! GANG!

I am so glad that when we bought our RV we got a MONSTER,Last night a dirt devil came through this park hitting our Montana and moved it a little and in the next row right across from us turned over a smaller RV. I have to tell you that the wind has been blowing sence we got here almost 3 months ago. We are having gust right now of 35 mph.

Oh! The guy in the RV was not hurt but just got woke up when it went over.WOW! I think I am ready to get out of here.LOL

prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 07:05 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Geesh Linda

A LITTLE dirt devil??? Please, it was a HUGE HUGE HUGE dirt devil!

Sure glad you guys are OK, any idea how much wind that really was??? Was it a tornado?? Or straight line winds??

Wow, must have been a bit scarry?? eh???

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 08:11 AM   #3
Rex & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #99
HAVING BEEN THROUGH THESE WINDS DO YOU FEEL, IN SUCH A SITUATION, IS IT BETTER TO HAVE THE SLIDES IN OR EXTENDED OUT? WE'RE STILL IN LAUGHLIN AND WHEN WE HAVE THE HIGH WINDS OUR ONLY ACTIONS IS TO ROLL DOWN THE TV ANTENNA. LUCKILY HERE THE WORST WINDS COME OUT OF THE NORTH AND WE HAVE OUR NOSE (FRONT) FACED INTO THE WIND.
Rex & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 09:37 AM   #4
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Carol, I don't know just how much wind it was but it was rotating or spinning. We get them a lot out here and some can get quite large and looks like a tornado except not out of the sky.

Rex and Mary, We do not put in the slides when it is windy. We are parked South To North so the winds don't hit us broadside. This thing came out of nowhere at 12:30AM this morning.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:04 AM   #5
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
WOW Happy to hear you are all alright..the other guy was very lucky!I hope the wind dies down some for you all.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 11:38 AM   #6
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
I have seen this same thing while camping along the Columbia River but it was the slide in campers that people had removed from their trucks while at the camp sites. Also no one hurt.
Mel
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 12:08 PM   #7
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Glad you are both okay and nothing was damaged. That must have been quite some dust devil to move a big unit like our Montanas!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 03:36 PM   #8
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Linda,

Does this dirt devil thing happen all year round?? or just certain seasons??

Not sure I ever want to see one! GULP!

Carol
Old 04-20-2005, 02:33 AM   #9
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Carol, They happen a lot in the spring and summer time. Please visit this web site and you can see one. http://futurecam.com/dustDevils.html It has some information about them.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:56 AM   #10
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
YIKES!

Thanks for the URL!!
Old 04-20-2005, 04:24 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Linda, sure glad you guys are ok. When we were at Walnut Hills CG in Staunton, VA, in August, 2003, is when that big wind came through and put our awning on the roof. We were exposed to the north and that's where the gust came from. We were gone all day so were not there when it happened but we saw one fiver that had been lifted and dropped the landing gear off the blocks it had been on. It damaged the landing gear, naturally.

Rex & Mary, we normally do not retract the slides for wind. However, one night when we were overnighting in Stratton, CO, the wind got so bad (thunderstorm) that we could feel we were being very slightly lifted so we did retract the slides that time. That's kind of our criteria. If the movement makes us uncomfortable we'll retract the slides. But that's rare that we'd be that uncomfortable.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 02:09 PM   #12
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
glad you have the big montana now! I told you it would pay off somehow some day!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote