Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
GeneO
Established Member

M.O.C. #11902
Adding second AC

I am adding a second AC unit to my Montana 5th wheel 2011 #3150 any advice regarding the addition. Should the controls be at the AC or at the control panel.

GeneO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

We recently added one and all the controls mount on a shroud that fits on the ceiling. Easy install just get someone to help you get it to the roof.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I had CW install one for me. It also has the controls on the shroud on the unit itself. But in some case, it can be integrated into the thermostat on the wall. Not sure what is required but I am sure someone will ocme along shortly and explain it all.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
2011 models are prewired for Dometic units. You can get a dealer or Camping World to order you a regular or low profile unit. They are available in 15,000 or 13,500 BTUs. 13,500 units are more generator friendly (less amps required), and 15,000 units are great if you don't use smaller generators to camp (more cooling). The main thing is to ensure you request a Dometic unit WITH preinstalled electronic controls (not analog) for whichever type thermostat you have (there are two common ones). One is CC2 (has four vertical buttons down the side) or the newer LCD type (buttons surronding the display and kind of round). The dealer can advise you. Your second A/C will be ducted and independently controled from your existing thermostat as zone 2. Many times dealers will attempt to sell you a non-ducted ceiling controled unit (because they have them in stock), and that is the most common type of install they do. Insist on getting the unit that is ducted and will plug right in to the prewired setup that's all ready at the vent hole on that 2011 model. You will love it.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:58 PM   #5
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
X2 on getting the ducted unit. Also make sure you get the inside cover with the Quick Cool feature. That way you can dump most if not all the air into the bed room, or close the vent and it will go into the duct work. The remote sensor should already be mounted in the ceiling and the control wire should also already be in the ceiling. Works great to run the bedroom unit in the evening while trying to watch the tele, the switch and run the living room unit when bed time, gets the noise out of the bedroom.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:10 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Note, my '06 Monty "prewired A/C" option only has the AC power wire. There were no control wires back to the thermostat or an easy way to tap into the existing ductwork. I hope things are better in your rig.

You can certainly run the control wires or create the ducting, but for me, the plan for my 2nd A/C is an independent drop in unit.

I'm only suggesting you check what you have since rigs may vary and you can use what you learn to ensure if you have this done, you don't get overcharged for items already there or end up with an independent unit if an integrated unit would have worked. Another example, you might not want another Dometic.

Whatever happens you'll love having a second A/C. Just make sure the power supplied supports 50 amps.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:21 PM   #7
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
If the forward vent has an electric box with a cover beside it, you're wired and you should be able to duct it. The main thermostat should have zones. 1 for rear 2 for front. When you take out the vent you will find aluminum foil covering the ducts . Cut slits and fold foil back into ducts. Make sure you purchase a compatable unit. There also should be an unusual round domed piece on the ceiling, it is the sensor for the zone. Maybe this will help. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #8
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Mine is like Art's, on the newer ones you may be able to duct it and tap into the thermostat, but on the older ones, even though they have an electric box, it only has a power wire. Even though the thermostat has the dual zone feature there's no easy way to hook it up. Just had mine done last week, but so far it's working out fine.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote