Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2011, 07:08 PM   #1
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Gettysburg

Weather is beautiful, campground is beautiful and located on Battlefield, Couldn't be much better. A beautiful RV, a beautiful place, what a wonderful life, Ya'll come now, ya heah? Larry

HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:28 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I'm glad it's nice, today!

It wasn't so beautiful 150 years ago. Having visited there I was amazed how the area is so hallowed. I remember the peacefulness as you tour the area. So much history was created in just a few days by the battle that turned the tide of when our country was at its worst.

I definitely recommend a visit there. For a thorough visit I now recommend a minimum of three days. The new history center needs a full day just by itself, but for real perspective a couple of days touring the areas of conflict really help put things in perspective. For example, the mile long field of Pickett's Charge and the Hilltops. We spent only one day in the area and this was not enough time, but the self-guided CD helped! I was astounded by the amount of monuments representing the units that participated and one should sure want to see them all.

Larry and Pat, how long you gonna settin' 'round in them there parts?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
We are going that way in a month, What is the name of the park....sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:27 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I agree with Art -- a one-day visit is not nearly long enough to take in everything.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:13 AM   #5
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sailer

We are going that way in a month, What is the name of the park....sailer
Gettysburg Battlefield Resort......but as I was so nicely reminded by capn chris, you must be a member or a member of Coast to Coast or a guest of a member or be prepared to hear a one hour presentation on those benefits. Hope you are a member. Good luck, Larry
Old 09-16-2011, 01:10 PM   #6
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
We are going to be at Artillery Ridge Campground Sept. 17th, 18th, and 19th and have left the the 4th night in question if needed. Larry, thanks for the weather and condition report.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:08 PM   #7
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Recumbent

We are going to be at Artillery Ridge Campground Sept. 17th, 18th, and 19th and have left the the 4th night in question if needed. Larry, thanks for the weather and condition report.
"Sheepdog" recommended "Farnsworth's Tavern'. It is very nice, period dress and good food. Period building and furnishings. Lots of costumes and equipt. from the movie "Gettysburg". Will probably return if time allows. Tomorrow we are going to Lancaster to the Christian Theater. Will send PM, Larry
Old 09-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #8
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Yesterday we went to see the visitors center and the theater in the round, the museum, and had a meal in "Farnsworth's Tavern" as reccommended by "Sheepdog". Today our campgroung provided us with a Cd and map guided tour, excellent. Actually stood where my Great Grandfather lost his leg in the battle. He was in the NC Inf. What a stirring thing to share the blood of such men. What an awful price has been paid by so many that we can come here with our RVs and stand in reverance and awe of their courageous and terrible acts and the example they set for us to follow if ever necessary....Larry
Old 09-17-2011, 04:42 AM   #9
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Larry,
Be warned that when you head for the Rally, DO NOT take Rt 30 west to Breezewood! Very steep and windy road west of Chambersburg, PA. Either take I-81s to 70w, or go north on 15 to 94 or 74 to PA Turnpike (tolls). Hope we can meet up on the OH turnpike Monday evening?!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:16 PM   #10
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Went to Lancaster today and saw "Joseph" at Sight and Sound Theater. We really enjoyed it. Would reccommend it 10 of 10. We have had a wonderful visit and will probably return again. Tomorrow, rest. Monday, roll toward Goshen. See you there. Larry