Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2010, 02:26 PM   #1
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
Splendide Ariston Stackable Washer Dryer Instal

Our new 3400rl will be here soon and we are planning to install a Splendide Ariston stackable washer/dryer. I plan to do the work myself and I need some answers.

I would like someone to measure the depth of the closet (inside the door jam to the back wall. I want to calculate how much room there will be for the vent hose/pipe.

I know that the vent needs to be put in the exterior wall but what level. Should it be the same height as the dryer vent outlet or higher on the wall?

If you have done this type of install, how did you manage to make the vent connections on the back of the dryer before putting it into the closet? There doesn't seem to be room to reach the connection.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:00 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I have done the install and the dryer vent on the outer wall is above the dryer.
I purchased a dryer pipe at lows that has a round in then a 90 degree to a 2"x6" rectangle tube the is expendable. At the top is another round out. There I put a 90 degree adjustable elbow to a solid pipe to the outside vent.I put a full sheet of plexaglass on top of the dryer to keep things from falling down the back or sides. I also was able to put one shelf up top.

Most important I cut a hole in the wall by the steps so I can gain access to the shut off valves from the hall way stairs. Note: We pulled the two outlets out of the wall and let them hang inside the wall and plugged in the to units.

Here is the link to my access hole. I measure the opening in the closet with height and distance from closet door to make the hole in the hall.

I need to give credit to Dave (exnavydiver) who gave the the idea of the mental duct. I did not mount the duct to the wall the pipe (not accordion hose) and the dryer keeps it in place. As well as the shelf up top in my picture.

Here is a picture of the duct I use, I did have the in and out pipe on the same side.

I hope this helps.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:41 PM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yepper, Ditto,
Measure twice, cut once.

Here are my pictures of my install, I used a set of Maytags: Sears.
I have a 220 volt dryer, works sweet, large capacity.
http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n...0dryer%20inst/

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:16 PM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Comment on using 220 Volts. You can not use your 220 appliances without being hooked up to 50 AMP service. They will not work on 30 Amp service.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:00 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
John, I haven't tried it, but it is possible that the dryer would work, the motor is 120 volts, the dryer's elements would just put out 1/2 of the heat. I know I bought a defrost heater for a customers walk-in freezer, the bottom heater is burned out on defrost. The replacement heater is rated for 240 volts (or 220 volts) but it will work, and just put out less heat when used on 120 volts. I would have to read the schematic to see how the heat is controlled, if it has a contactor or relay, and the contactor has a 240 volt coil, it wouldn't work, but I imagine they use a 120 volt coil so it would energize the heater/s. I will try that the next time I hook up. Worst case would be longer drying times.
Of course I can be totally off base on this one, NC Fishers can add his electrical expertise.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:14 AM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
OZZ,
Great post and yes there is no doubt in my "MILITARY" mind that you and Jim (ncfischer) could make a 220 work on a 120 feed. The main intent on my previous post was to alert a layman that they can not just plug a 220 system into 30 amp service and have it work. Modifications, maybe even major modifications to the unit might need to be done. And of course once those modifications are done there will be a question to the warranty impact on the unit.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:17 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I know that is what you meant, but my point is that when I go in and plug into a 30 amp service, leaving everything alone, I might still be able to dry clothes, just at 1/2 power.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #8
K&Gs3400RL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9671
My question is, Is the closet wired for 220? or is it a Mod you have to do? We are looking for a washer and dryer for the New 5er since it has a closet for it. We never put one in the Mountaineer because we would loose so much closet space.
K&Gs3400RL is offline   Reply With Quote