Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2011, 12:14 PM   #1
KiwiRVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9832
Wet Bolt Question

I have read most of the discussions regarding wet bolts and have a question. The Montana's all seem to have the Mor/Ryde suspension however the Mountaineers have the Equa-Flx by Trailair.

My question is how many bolts need to be replaced, just the ones at each end of the leaf spring or all the bolts holding the Equa-flex together as well?

Thanks
Craig

KiwiRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
I have the Mor/Ryde and all the bolts get changed. For each spring that was the end bolt and both bolts on the equalizer for a total of 12 bolts. The equalizer end comes assembled with oversized hanger plates with the bolts all in them.

This is confusing me.... You get four of these assemblies (2 bolts each included) and four bolts with bronze bushings for the free ends.

Hope this helps. I need a beer.
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
hahaha, I don't need an excuse for a beer...but here's the kit I installed;

The Dexter EzFlex comes with zerk for the center bolt...therefore you only need the bronze bushings for leaf spring eyelets 4 leaf springs x 2 eyelets = 8 bronze bushings as well as 4 shackles (these include the lower wet bolts as pbahlin commented)and 4 wet bolts/nuts for each end per side...This pic kinda looks like the plastic bushing in that EzFlex but that does not make sense as zerk at top...might want to check on that if ordering.

Recommend you orient the zerk "inboard" away from tires to prevent a tire blow-out from knocking them off and allows you to grease them from behind although you have to crawl under there. In another post I mention my spring replacement project which I'm flipping these "inboard".

noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:57 PM   #4
KiwiRVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9832
Thanks Chuck but that is actually a different system from what we have. I guess I will have to contact the factory an see what they recommend.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:59 AM   #5
01RAMer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7316
If you have the LRE Suspension (Rubber piece in the middle) you will be replaceing 6 bolts on each axle. You will also need new pieces that connect to the rubber piece. I can't remember what they are called, but they only seem to come from Mor/Ryde.
01RAMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:49 AM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I believe they are called "Z" brackets. I have an early 07 and it has the Mor/ryde suspension. I used these when I added wet bolts.

The good news is these were given to me at the 2009 rally by a member who did not need them. (The bad news is I do not remember the members name to give them credit and can not find the paper with their name.)
I Believe they were about $50.00 from Mor/ryde.
I will ship to you for the cost (should be less that $6.00 with USPS Priority Box) of shipping and ask you to donate the remaining to the MOC as requested by the original owner. If you find the cost from Mor/ryde is less then use that total figure.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:42 AM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I installed the Equa-Flex on my old 2980RL ... You just need to install wet bolts / bushings in the spring eyes ... the bolts holding the Equa-flex together don't pivot, but hold the rubber motor mount like material in place.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:03 PM   #8
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Noneck do you have any pictures you could post of the shoring you used to secure your farme when you were working on your schakle replacement. also did you do one side at a time? and if you did what do I have to expect when I drop or remove the schackle ONE at a time I guess.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:19 PM   #9
KiwiRVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9832
Hi John

Thank you for the offer but I have already spoken to Trail-Air and ordered the kit so I am not sure where those parts fit into the equation. When I get it and confirmed it is correct I will post the part number for future information.

Cheers
Craig
Old 08-31-2011, 02:50 PM   #10
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Don, here's a link to when I did my suspension upgrade ... photos included
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=23847
Old 08-31-2011, 07:17 PM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Thanks Noneck I copied it all for the job and referance. what was the hydrolic ram used for I dont have one of those. will I need one for the job.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:47 AM   #12
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
You don't really need one of those port a power rams ... just use a C - clamp ... see my link I posted.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:30 PM   #13
KiwiRVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9832
OK update. I ordered the kit from Trail-Air (Lippert). When I received it there were no bushings in it so I called them back and they sent out 14 bushings. By this time the campground time I had allocated was up so I am rushing to try and get this done before the Monster goes into winter storage in 2 weeks time (between travelling from PA to GA as well)

I started today and ran into problems straight away. The shackles were easy enough to remove however I could not remove the old bushings. I did note in another post that the brass bushings were to replace nylon bushings but my originals were already brass so I left them in and just replaced the shackles using the original bushings.

The second and more major problem is that I cannot budge the bolts on the ends of the leaf springs or the center bolt in the Equa-flex - any advice?

For anyone wanting to do this don't buy the kit from Trail-Air (Lippert). They charged me $109 plus freight. I noted later that Tweetys have the same kit for $49. Mor/Ryde also has a compatible kit although I didn't get a price from them.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:54 PM   #14
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Hi Craig, Those bolts have a spline to hold them from spinning and locks them in the "U" channels at the opposite end from the threads. When I removed mine...I put a nut back on spin on by hand to be flush with end of bolt, then with a heavy hammer hit it hard and should drive it off the spline, spin off nut by hand and push out by lighter taps with a punch. Nut on bolt is to prevent mushrooming the bolt end...although your installing replacement "wet" bolts right?
Old 09-12-2011, 04:23 PM   #15
KiwiRVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9832
Thanks Chuck. It may have to wait until I get back next year as I don't have a heavy enough hammer it seems.

Did you replace the bushes and if so how did you remove the old ones?
Old 09-13-2011, 12:18 PM   #16
KiwiRVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9832
Further update. I purchased a big hammer and managed to get the center bolt removed and replaced however the end bolts on the leaf springs are still there. Problem was that instead of loosening the bolt, the suspension brackets just spread. I tried to pull them back together with a G clamp and only managed to break the G clamp in two (cheap Chinese junk metal).

I think the next time I try I will need to clamp the suspension brackets first before getting the big hammer onto the bolts.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:59 PM   #17
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Hi Craig, If your new bolts "fit" reasonable in the old bushings which you indicate are bronze then you should not need to change them. As you commented typical bushings are nylon which are not an issue to drive out. I would think some WD40 and a drift that is exactly the outside diameter of the bronze bushing, with that heavy hammer I previously mentioned would get the old one out.
I would then clean residual oil from spring loop and only use a soapy application to set new bushing. When I installed the new bushing I used one of my "old" shackle bolts as the drift for driving as it would fit inside bushing and hex head would provide the stop for when they had been fully installed. If you have access to a press that would be the preferred method as it is less likely to deform the soft bushing.