Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2011, 04:47 AM   #1
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
BBQ Hook UP in 3750FL & others w/same connections

On the 3750FL, there is no BBQ hook up. In the driver's side propane compartment, the flex hose from the tank connects into the black metal propane pipe. This is where I would like to install a "T" connector so I can attach a 20' BBQ flex hose to the BBQ. This seems to be the best connection, because it would not matter which propane tank is being used since this the the main line into the pipe. Also, with a few straps, the hose can be stored in that compartment. I have also adapted my Weber Baby Q to use with or without the regulator with a quick disconnect.

Has anyone done this? If so, what "T" did you use?

Thanks in advance.

Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:18 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
You could just use a Brass (even a black iron) pipe Tee, screw a Propane rated quick disconnect into it, then screw the existing tank connector hose into the tee. I got my Propane fittings at a Farm Supply store, but an RV supply house should have all of the fittings.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
Nighthawk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10340
I want to do the same thing with our 2007 3400RL. I intend to disconnect the first few pieces of the black iron pipe from the driver's side propane cabinet, where the tank auto switch is, to the 90 degree "el" under the trailer and install a black "T" there in place of the "el". Then reinstall those pieces and run a black iron pipe from the new "T" under the trailer to the passenger side ending with a quick disconnect. I would not use a rubber hose under the trailer. This is the side you will likely have your BBQ. I thought I might even put the quick disconnect inside the passenger side tank compartment to keep it a little cleaner, from road dirt. Since the bottom of the tank compartment is open, you can easily run your hose under your trailer into the tank compartment to "hook up".

As you mentioned, it then won't matter if one of your tanks is empty as you will be drawing propane from your total propane supply. Also, as you mentioned, you will need to remove the regulator on your Baby "Q" as you will already have low pressure with this arrangement.

I feel it is wise to have at least a 20' hose to your BBQ to keep it a good distance from your tanks. For certain, make sure you check for leaks after you're done.

As a home owner, I have made a lot of changes to our natural gas supply lines inside our house (with many gas permits) and it is not a difficult task. Use proper pipe dope on your joints, check for leaks and you should be fine.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:49 AM   #4
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Here is one caveat concerning plumbing into the system so that both tanks will supply the bbq: we came home the other day and when I went to light the bbq I found that the curbside tank was empty. While I am getting older, I know that I had plenty of gas in the tank. After poking around a bit, I found that the hose threading into the bbq regulator had been unscrewed a couple of turns allowing the gas to escape without it seeming to...vandalism.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:24 PM   #5
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
At Bass Pro Shop I was able to purchase a hose with connectors to go from any normal LP tank to an appliance prepared to receive the small LP bottles, such as Weber Q, Roadtrip, Holland etc. About $15. Just hook to passenger side tank and in business. No need to change anything. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote