Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2009, 09:28 AM   #1
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Firestone Air Bag Tips

Just installed air bags on my GMC 2500HD Ext cab 8ft bed.I pull the 2955 Rl. Can some one give me an idea on what PSI to start with.The truck drops just a few inches I have installed if down the road I would get a unit with a heaver pin weight also may get a truck camper for short trips.Looking for some feed back with some one with similar Tv/trailer combo.

kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:37 AM   #2
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Before I hook up, I put 20psi in the bags. When hooked up, it raises the psi to around 40 and I leave it there. That seems to give me a comfortable ride.
I tried a little higher and it seemed to bounce a lot.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:42 AM   #3
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
I usually set mine at 75PSI when I tow our 2955 and about 10 PSI when soloing.

I started out at 30PSI and over several trips raised the pressure until I got the 'feel' I liked.
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:56 AM   #4
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
You may have to try several PSI's. Hooked up start off at 50 psi and after you tow for awhile stop and let our 10 psi and later down to 30 psi. Compare the three (or 4 ) and you'll have a good idea of what to fine tune. After you fine the right psi while hooked up --unhook and measure how much you now have. Probably 20-30 lbs less unhooked. You will then know how much psi to put in BEFORE you hitch up.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:01 PM   #5
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
I run about 30 in mine
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:08 PM   #6
ALAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4279
While at the rally this Sept. I asked the Mor/Ryde rep this question for my 3400RL. He told me to find a level place and look at the trailer/truck to ensure that they are level with each other (no angles between the truck and trailer). He suggested that I would probably find 30-35# to be the right range. He was right. I had been using 50-55# and the difference in handling, ride, braking, etc was most noticeable.

Alan & Kathy
ALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:57 PM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
There is no one psi number that we can all use. It depends on our TV, suspensions, weights of everything, how much sag and how level you want your rig.

The minimum PSI is 5 psi for my Ride-Rites. For tolerance sake I keep them at 10-15 psi just to make sure I am over the minimum. Since this seems to be the most factory compliant for the headlight aim and the stance of my truck, I then measure the distance at the rear between the top of the tire and the edge of the wheel well (about 11 inches on my truck with 17 inch wheels/tires). Then I hitch up the trailer and inflate both air bags evenly (side to side per the instructions) until the distance is ALMOST the same 11 inches between the wheel well edge and the top of the tires. Whatever the PSI reads is what I use, typically 55-65 lbs depending on what is loaded in the truck bed and in the trailer. This assures me the headlights are okay if I get caught driving at night. The RV level seems to be okay.

During the trip I might adjust higher or lower psi depending on the ride making sure to do it evenly side to side.

I love 'em!

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:16 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We had them on our previous TV. We always kept 20psi in them when solo.We hooked the camper to it then raised it to a psi that leveled the rig. The action of putting the weight of the camper on the bags will raise the psi somewhat. I think the towing psi was 50 psi. We ran many years with no failures or problems.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:44 AM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
On my 2500HD I found that having the bags set at 45 empty was the magic number. Once the 3400 was loaded, the bags usually had around 60/65 lbs on them. That was the sweet spot for my set up. You will have to play around with the psi until you find the right combination for you.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 05:30 PM   #10
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Will the bags make a difference on my TV's front wheel alignment? After many miles towing the 5er, my tires have dished out a bit. If I align them with the trailer off, it will not fix my problem. If I could even find a way to align them with the trailer on, they would be no good when unhooked. Any thoughts?
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:17 PM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by washley1

Will the bags make a difference on my TV's front wheel alignment? After many miles towing the 5er, my tires have dished out a bit. If I align them with the trailer off, it will not fix my problem. If I could even find a way to align them with the trailer on, they would be no good when unhooked. Any thoughts?
There's a shop in Hutchinson, MN that did an alignment for me in 2003 and I've been having them done the same way ever since. He says that he aligns a lot of front ends on pickups, especially Fords, that are used to pull horse trailers. He aligns them with a slight toe-out so that when towing the fifth wheel, the wear on the tires is not abnormal. I used to wear out my right front tire every 20-25K miles until he aligned the front end his way using a Hunter alignment machine. Don't know if this will work for you, but it does for me. I even took the specs in to a Ford garage and had them do an alignment to the Hunter readout. They (Ford) said that this would wear my tires out. Little did they know. Sometimes the guys with experience outdo the book learners.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 05:48 AM   #12
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Thanks, Orv. I guess the problem you have then is when the trailer is parked and you use the truck, the alignment is screwed up for the empty truck and you have worn out tires anyway! Can't wion for losing, which is why I wondered it the air bags would compensate for weight.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 06:35 AM   #13
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by washley1

Thanks, Orv. I guess the problem you have then is when the trailer is parked and you use the truck, the alignment is screwed up for the empty truck and you have worn out tires anyway! Can't wion for losing, which is why I wondered it the air bags would compensate for weight.
No, I have absolutely no abnormal wear on the tires. The theory that the alignment technician has proven is that the towing of the fifth wheel normally causes some abnormal wear on the Ford trucks because of the twin I-beams. Because we tow more miles than running empty, if there would happen to be any abnormal wear, it would even out when running empty. I'm a believer because after 85,000 miles of running with this type of alignment, I've got even wear on both front tires. I now get 50,000 miles from the tires and have to change them because of age, not tread wear.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:43 AM   #14
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Thank you all for your replys appreciated

Ken D
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote