Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2009, 07:13 AM   #1
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
New to me truck hitch question

Well Saturday I had a offer I had to take. 2008 F350 DW CC PSD no more F250. Now it came with a turn over goose neck ball. from what I'm reading my choices are the 5th wheel that hooks to the goose neck or put the rails on the bed floor, or under the floor. can the rails hook to the same bolt on plate that the goose neck is or must I remove the goose neck to put the plates on or under the bed.? can I keep both and not leave a big hole in the center of the bed.?

Thank you for the education.
Bob

Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:29 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
You already have the Turnover Ball installed. About half your cost is gone. I would just buy the Companion Hitch from B&W. I have it and it is a very good hitch. It is much better than the "rail" hitch I had. It is easy to hook up and very secure. Then when I need a clean bed, the Companion Hitch comes apart in two pieces so that one person can remove it.

You don't need to have it installed. Follow the instructions and you can do it yourself. Just make sure you torque the bolts properly. I took mine apart and made some adjustments. It took about an hour to take it apart, change to different bolt holes and reassemble, and put it back in the receiver.

By-the-way, congrats on your new purchase!
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:35 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
There are fifth wheel hitches that mount under the bed AND also allow you to use an inbed goose neck like you have. For example, B&W has an excellent offering that many members have had good luck with. Another offering is the Reese Signature that mounts under bed to support a fifth wheel hitch then can be removed for the goose neck. Of course, there are others.

I was unaware of these options when I purchased my 5er and have an above bed fifth wheel hitch and NO goose neck (for just in case), and if I were in your shoes right now, I would find a way to keep the goose neck (which can be capped off or turned over like you mention) and purchase an under bed fifth wheel hitch that fits with what you currently have. I use my truck bed often and the above bed hitch rails are such a pain!

I hope you are aware that converting your 5er for a goose neck is not a good idea.

Good luck with your selection. You'll love the extra weight capacity and the ability to tow ANYTHING within your weight rating (5er, goose neck or bumper) if you are properly equipped.

On edit: Thanks to Stiles for posting better info on the B&W right before my reply.

Is it just me or is everyone NOT seeing our avatars? I saw them before the Forum maintenance that was performed yesterday evening.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:03 AM   #4
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Are you sure you have a "Turnover Ball" that is B&W compatible?
My used truck came with a Buyers Corp. Rotating Ball, that just tips up and is not compatible with B&W...

So I purchased the Star Performance Gooseneck Adapter in lieu of a standard Fiver Hitch as the Gooseneck ball was very robustly mounted and removing would have left a large hole in the truck bed.
http://www.sphitch.com
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:52 PM   #5
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
If what you have is B&W Campanion campatiable I certianly do not think you would regret going with the Campanion. I really think it is an excellent hitch and very easy to use remove and have a flat floor.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:04 PM   #6
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

My truck came with a goose neck hitch. I chose to install the fifth wheel hitch I already had. I was hoping that I could leave the goose neck on the truck but I was told when they installed the fifth wheel hitch that they had to remove the goose neck. It did leave a big hole in the bed of the truck as mentioned in an earlier post. I doubt that it would be a big job for some body shop to weld a cover over the hole but I haven’t looked at that yet.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:55 AM   #7
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
OK, I have a B&W turn over hitch and was looking at the Companion Hitch from B&W about $699. to $799. I found one ad said used only twice for $300. what is the idea of buying used good or bad ?

Bob
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote