Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2009, 05:42 PM   #1
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Memorial Day - Our thoughts!

We have been traveling around this wonderful, FREE country of ours for years, first for business and now for pleasure and out of curiosity for what is there. We have no desire to travel abroad. There is too much to see here in our "Nifty 50!" (almost dated myself and said Great 48) We are in Rapid City, SD right now and so another trip to Mt. Rushmore was the order of the day. We have our veterans to thank for being able to do this. I served between Korea and 'Nam so I take my hat off to all vets that served in wartime and Carol and I both say "Thank You for your service!" God Bless You All! - Jim

boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:12 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Like you Jim I didn't get into any combat situations. I was in from 60 thru 65 but somehow never got to 'Nam. However I did meet many a returning Vet and, for the most part, the treatment they received from the civilian population was deplorable. The Hippy's and their make love not war attitude just pi$$ed me off. The many UN-Americans that ran to Canada to avoid having to serve should never have been allowed to return to this GREAT country. I could go on but I won't.
Thankfully, today, that has all changed and I couldn't be happier for our returning men and women.
Not to demean our surviving Vets BUT Memorial Day is for the men and women that gave all so we can be FREE and it's to those men and women that I am so very very thankful.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:21 AM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I worked for the airlines in the late 60's and one of my jobs was to take the coffins of returning servicemen off the planes and place them in the hearses that came to claim them. Often, the young pregnant widow and her family were watching. It was the worst part of that job. Our freedom is a result of all of our men and women that served this wonderful country.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:06 AM   #4
cmawendy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9222
AMEN
cmawendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:16 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
US Army 55 to 58 but never in Harms way. We lost many friends in Nam and we have a name on "the wall" All of our family members that served in WWII are gone.They were a amazing generation.Nearly all of our family were sons of immigrants or immigrants themselves. They all served without question many of them in the country of their or their parents birth. They are leaving us at a rapid rate now. They hold a special place.My Uncle Fred was a 22 year old bomber pilot in the Pacific.. 22 years old.....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:48 AM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
All gave some, some gave all.

In their memory!

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:15 AM   #7
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
I served during Nam aboard the USS Galveston CLG3. As a lookout I had life easy compared to many. I will be eternally thankful for my mothers prayers that kept me out of harms way
God Bless America!
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:17 AM   #8
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
I never served in the military, and now I feel that I really missed out on a sacred duty. I was around during the time the solders came back from Nam, and I agree with Glen that it was terrible the way they were treated when they returned. And don't even get me started about what I think about Hanoi Jane. I have the deepest respect and admiration for our solders. I can't help getting teary eyed every time I see a coffin being returned. If you have not seen the movie "Taking Chance" about the returning home of a fallen soldiers body staring Kevin Bacon you really need to see it. I tends to move you closer to an aspect of war that most have never experienced.
ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:35 PM   #9
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
Served in Nam between 70 & 72 flying hueys for the Navy in patrol of the Mekong and Bassack Rivers. Returning home after three years of combat duty was probably the most difficult time of all. No combat wounds received in Nam came close to the injuries received as we arrived home. As I was wheeled off the plane into the airport of my home town I and several other veterans were the recipients of verbal abuse and were spat on. The physical wounds have long healed but the verbal abuse and actions of a few inconsiderate and disgusting people left scars that will forever remain.

For all who served, Thank you for your service. For all who served in support of our troops, Thank you for your dedicated support. Let's never forget those left behind who gave their lives in defense of this great country.

EagleRunner
EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:09 AM   #10
Papalr
Established Member

M.O.C. #8618
I served in the Air Force from 67-71 and was stationed at Elmendorf AFB, Anchorage Alaska. Every evening we would have at least one, most of the time two, and sometimes three C-141's coming out of Yokota, Japan loaded with litters of wounded Vietnam soldiers. We would do a quick turn-around and send them on their way to Scott AFB, Ill. That was 40 years ago and I can still remember the smells of war inside those planes. Thankfully the soldiers returning now from Iraq/Afganistan are treated with the respect they deserve and Thank God for the opportunity to live in a free country (for now!)
Papalr is offline   Reply With Quote