Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2006, 07:44 AM   #1
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Split Flood Light Controls

I really want to control the left and right flood lights separately. Has anyone accomplished this? I don't expect it to be to difficult--three way switch place before the master or replacing the master with a 3-way. Any suggestions accepted.

F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 08:24 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I can see a problem finding out where they split the two lights' switched power. Could be anywhere up in the wall or overhead. Find that, and you have a project better defined.
What about just removing the bulb on the drivers side, I personally hate them, and may never use them at all. They just bother our camp neighbors, and I imagine you are considering the project because you don't want to bother yours.
I installed a Red indicator light on the panel, so I would know if we accidentally have the switch on.
Good luck.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 10:41 AM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
They told me at the factory that there is just one wire running forward that splits somewhere up in the nose. Maybe if you don't mind making a bit of a mess of the inside of the closet, you could find the wires on the inside opposite where each is mounted, and put switches there, ...not the handiest maybe, but I have no other idea of how to do it.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 11:47 AM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Sometimes these light can be a help to the neighbors. We've turned ours on several times to help late arriving neighbors set up in the dark and one time to help a neighbor find her cat and another to find the keys they had dropped. We also use ours when parked here at the stick house if we do out there after dark.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 02:10 PM   #5
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
What about a switch on the fixture itself. If you want the light on you turn on the switch inside and press the switch on the light (I used a latching push button). Of course you have a square yard stick you use for roof vents etc..
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 03:17 PM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I have found them totally useless and never turn them on. I found a good Mag Light does a much better job and is totally portable. If looking for something lost or just about anything else and I never have to worry about disturbing my neighbors.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 04:29 PM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yea, what Glenn said!
Old 10-07-2006, 09:11 PM   #8
jrjones
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4858
What they said. I have only used mine out dry camping when hunting and always have to make sure there off. Never use them in park. Good way to get an unhappy knock or someone that won,t talk to you in morning.
jrjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 02:03 AM   #9
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Maybe that is why they call them scare lights. When the 300 pound gorilla in the Boler next to you comes over to tune you up about the light shineing through his 11 by 7 (inch) window, that would be a real scare , right?
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 03:47 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Last year, Sue and I were in Tucson, we were in a really nice RV Resort, Voyager, I think. Sue had a Herniated disc and a bad cold-sinus infection, something that made her cough all night, and with the disc problem, the poor girl was just miserable, she had to try and get comfortable on the couch all night. Some IDIOT had his 'Scare' light on all night, it bore a hole in the door window, and through the window with a night shade on it. I complained to the manager, so these low life's, out of spite, left it on until 10:30 every night after that, then glared at us every time we were outside. I can't tell you how bad I wanted to 'Interact' with these morons. Sue wanted to keep me out of prison, so I behaved. letters and e-mails to management did no good. They obviously told the people who complained.
SO, I HATE SCARE LIGHTS. The advantages of them, are severely offset by the inconvenience to others.
JMHO. Ozz
Old 10-08-2006, 04:44 AM   #11
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
I guess I'm like jrjones on this topic. I found them usefull while dry camping last month, but there wasn't a soul within 4 miles of me. With no other light around, and the moon hidden behind clouds, it worked pretty good. In a campground situation with neighbors, I wouldn't dream of using them. Ozz, the people parked next to you at the CG obviousely have no respect for their fellow camper, and probably are the same way with their stickhouse neighbors. It's a sad situation, but seems to be happening more and more as people aren't raised like we were, with strong moral values and a healthy respect for our fellow man. For what it's worth, I think you did the right thing, and like you, I would have been hard pressed to hold my temper. It sounds like your wife is like mine, she keeps me out of trouble.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 04:59 AM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
The balance in our relationships are good, I guess sometimes we need to let things go.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:06 AM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We stayed in a CG for the first 2 months when we first started FTing. Thought the scare lights were useless and "stupid". Then spent a week on the road. All of a sudden, I changed my attitude about them.

We are currently staying at Cheryl's sister's place of business (miniature golf/batting cages/driving range). We are parked in the back parking lot. When all the empolyees and customers go home, we are here in the middle of nowhere by ourselves - which I like - and our scare lights are ON.

Also kept them on when we stayed one night in a Walmart in KY. Great security for just about anytime you are NOT in a CG. Actually, I would like another on this 3400 on the back roadside corner. Very dark there, and I like to keep my 3000 Kipor cable locked there, near my power outlet. Makes me nervous...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:01 AM   #14
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Wrenchtraveler! You're interpretation of "Scare" lights is exactly right. I was met at the door at 2AM by three drunk hunters staying in tents that politely reminded me to turn off the lights (switched on by mistake). They also reminded me that if they were turned on again they would be permanently turned off by a 30-06 round (gulp).

Ozz - would be interested in your indicator?

Tim - I just had my swithes apart, and at least on mine, the switch controls a single set of wires to the lights, so the wiring must hit one then the other. No easy way to split these up. Wiring on the RV is not a fun chore, as there is little access.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:19 AM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Switches and lights on panel:
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...3/e4300766.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...9th2006002.jpg
Radio Shack has the lights, they just hook up to Gnd. or neutral on 12 Volts, (White wire, and the other wire on the load side of the switch, so the light lights up when on.)
Looks cool too.
I used a Red light for the 'Scare' lights, a Green one for the porch light.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:17 PM   #16
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Wow Ozz,

My old Monty doesn't have anything like that! Cool control panel. I've just got little switches in the wall. I bet I could still find something to replace the switches at radio shack.

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote