Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2012, 07:32 AM   #1
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Has Anyone Installed a Satellite Dome on 3750

I've installed the dome without any issues just aft of the living room vent. I'm wondering where you or your installer ran the cabling to the receiver in the living room. Any guidance would be appreciated!

moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Our installation was a fold down Winegard travler, but the routing should be applicable. We actually had wiring runs for each separate installation (LR, BR and basement). The dealer routed the coax cables from the satellite down through the roof at the location where the thermostat is mounted on the wall near the front door. This corridor allows for the cables to be directly routed in to the basement (it is directly behind the first basement panel on the left). It also allowed for the controller box to be used on top of the coat closet below the thermostat. The cables were then routed to the convenience center where they were attached to the respective satellite feeds for each location. Here is a pic of the top of the rig and the routing entry point as related to the front living room vent:

Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #3
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Our installation was a fold down Winegard travler, but the routing should be applicable. We actually had wiring runs for each separate installation (LR, BR and basement). The dealer routed the coax cables from the satellite down through the roof at the location where the thermostat is mounted on the wall near the front door. This corridor allows for the cables to be directly routed in to the basement (it is directly behind the first basement panel on the left). It also allowed for the controller box to be used on top of the coat closet below the thermostat. The cables were then routed to the convenience center where they were attached to the respective satellite feeds for each location. Here is a pic of the top of the rig and the routing entry point as related to the front living room vent:

Bingo
That looks good. Do you have any idea as to how they got into the area behind the thermostat? Maybe they took our the control center?
Old 08-23-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
I have a 3400, I installed the Winegard dish just behind the vent in the kitchen. I was able to fish the ceiling from this vent to the vent at the top of the stairs, next to the shower. From there into the space behind the toilet where the fuse panel is located and where the inverter is located. From there down the wall to under the steps into the bedroom and out to the water/convenience panel where the coax cables are terminated. The control cable follows the same path except the control cable drops off under the step and then into the front closet (by the entry door) where it sits on a shelf. I use the existing cables for the satellite to the bedroom and the living room. I installed a second cable from the convenience panel to the living room TV for the DVR function of my Direct TV receiver.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The area behind the thermostat is accessible by removing the thermostat and mounting base or by accessing it from the bottom in the basement behind the first left handed grey panel. I have not had the control center out so I don't know if that part is open to the corridor. I will be finding out as I plan to relocate the thermostat to the side of the closet next to the front stairs leading to the living room. I don't know for sure, but our thermostat goes wacky during the heat of the day and I suspect it is related to the black coax transmitting the heat from the roof to the area behind the thermostat.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #6
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Many thanks Bingo. I'll explore those possibilities!
Old 08-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #7
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
With the control panel pulled out you have direct access to the area behind the thermostat and down into the basement via fish wire. I installed my generator start panel above the thermostat and had to pull the wiring harness through this area.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #8
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kab449

With the control panel pulled out you have direct access to the area behind the thermostat and down into the basement via fish wire. I installed my generator start panel above the thermostat and had to pull the wiring harness through this area.
Great! That's the answer I've been hoping to get! Thanks to all of you for your valuable feedback. Now I can install the cable!
Old 08-24-2012, 03:32 AM   #9
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
I had the same system as Bingo installed at CW. We went with the slimline because we could receive HD channels on all TVs. Unlike Bingo's installation, separate cables were run to each TV location. Two inputs to the front TV for the dual tuner DVR which were dropped just behind the front cap near the right front speaker, one to the bedroom, and one to the basement, which were dropped behind the thermostat. The controller was also cabled behind the thermostat. The existing wiring was not used and the new cable was all RG 7 wire. I am too spoiled and would not be satisfied with anything less than HD on the 40" TV in the Man Cave. Great job and beautiful TV and DVR services. Good luck.

Here is a photo my mine.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote