Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2009, 07:23 AM   #1
trailblazer27

M.O.C. #9166
Diesel in Alaska / Boondocking

Traveling to Alaska this summer. Have a GMC with a 25 gallon tank.
Have no desire to spend $$$$ for a auxilary tank. Usually get at
least 260 miles per tank. Planning to bring along two 5 gal cans of
extra diesel. Don't know how far apart Diesel fuel locations are.
Towing 10,000 lbs. @11-13mpg and 20-23 just truckin. Any comments
appreciate

On the subject of Boondocking, Can one pretty much stop along the
road for the night without getting harrased. Might want to spend an
extra day or two fishing,kyaking and taking photos.

I have excellent maps of Alaska and naturally Guideposts.

trailblazer27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:42 AM   #2
wswebster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1249
We went to Alaska last summer, took 2 extra 5 gallon cans and we never needed to use them. Found fuel when we felt we should fillup. We you can, as far as the boondocking question, we never did though. We had a great time and hope you do too. Stacy
wswebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:12 AM   #3
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
I highly recommend that you purchase the Milepost. It is the authority and can provide you the best information as to how far apart gas stations, restaurants, etc. are. For budgeting purposes, for diesel, we are paying about $4.00 per gallon in southcentral Alaska. In the Anchorage area, it's around $3.40.

Have never boondocked in Alaska, but my friends who have, enjoyed themselves and never had any problems.

If you're coming to Seward, we'd love to meet you.

Tammy
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:45 AM   #4
mobrownies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #886
We went last summer, but left the trailer in Washington. We have a 34 gal tank and averaged 22 mpg for the 6000 mile trip. The top of the world highway only has two filling stations (Chicken and Dawson City) and we had to pay $6.50/gal at one of them. We did not carry extra fuel, but with a range of 600+ miles we could be a little selective about where we bought. I think you would be smart to carry the extra 10 gallons even though it means extra weight. You will also want to top off the tank about every chance you get. As you plan your trip and decide which route you are taking, you can use the milepost to see what fueling options are available.

As for boondocking, we had heard that it was a law that you have to stop to check on vehicles pulled off the road. IF that is correct, you might have a few visitors if you just pull off on the shoulder of the road.

Are you taking the ferry for any part of the trip? It was the highlite of our trip, but a little expensive with a trailer.

Good luck and enjoy the trip.
mobrownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:30 PM   #5
Navigator
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1894
Getting a 2009 copy of the Milepost is good advise. We used our copy from the time we entered Canada until we returned to the lower 48 three months later.

At the time we were in Alaska we had a stock fuel tank but the only time we had a minor problem was after we left Denali heading for Anchorage. We didn't top off the tank when we left Talkeetna and by the time we needed fuel the stations we stopped at were out of both diesel and gasoline. So we just stayed put and waited, along with everyone else, for the diesel fuel truck to arrive. It didn't take long and we were soon back on the road. After that we made sure the tank didn't get too low.

As far as stopping over night in a turnout we never had any problems. Usually we were the first ones to stop and by morning there were several other RVs that had pulled over during the night. No one ever bothered us and a lot of our unofficial campsites were nicer than the official ones.

Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:04 PM   #6
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
I too carry two 5 gal containers of diesel and store them in the bed above the fuel fill opening. I also got one of these pumps (http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...70_11948_11948) which I use with a cordless drill and some tubing to transfer fuel to the tank. I mounted the pump on a piece of 1x3 so I could hold it better.

Getting too old to hump 5 gal cans around!
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:18 PM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Hi trailblazer27,

I think your plan to carry a couple of 5 gallon cans of diesel is a great idea with only a 25 gallon tank. 10 gallons of fuel only adds about 75 lbs of weight to your cargo bed and not enough to worry about but it gives you 50% more distance to allow some selectivity to fuel up at the major towns or truck stops where fuel tends to be cheaper and information WAY more plentiful. I have not carried extra fuel but my diesel tank is 38 gallons so I have over 400 miles of range without messing with fuel cans. Just make sure to also carry a long metal funnel so your refueling isn't as messy. The drillpump is a great idea too if you don't want to lug a 35 lb fuel tank to refuel your truck each time. I have an inverter under my truck seats that I would use to keep the drill's battery fully charged. That's way cheaper to install than a fuel cell in the truck bed and takes up a lot less room too. I think I have also seen a hand crank version of a pump at the local automotive stores.

Parking at the side of the main highways is NOT recommended. It typically designates trouble and there is a law in Alaska, but I don't know about Canada, that anyone must stop to check on vehicles at the side of the road for safety reasons so you would definitely gather (possibly unwanted) attention. Also, even at night most traffic is loud and fast semitrailer trucks that if their noise doesn't keep you up, the buffeting winds as they zoom by will do so. The Milepost magazine has very detailed information for every town, store, tree, stick and twig along the route and you should be able to find spots to park off the road side and but not be obtrusive. But make sure it isn't near some campground who might contact the constables because you found a way to bypass their facilities and will claim you are illegally parked. Fortunately most places you'll want to stop are a little ways off the beaten path so you don't get bothered.

Don't forget a spare license plate or make up something special to leave at the Sign Post Forest in Watson Lake!

Best Regards,
Art Martinez
Many time veteran of the Alcan!

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:45 PM   #8
paddler67
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9444
. we did 2 trips to ak. 02-04 drove all the roads and only stayed at cgs when in towns. we stopped where we felt safe in ca. and ak.
if u feel better with the fuel cans carry them. i never have carried ex. fuel but i never had that sm tank.
drove to inuvik, nwt and had fuel halfway.
do have a sign made for your-self. just a fun thing to do. ex. we had one painted with our name and where we r from and the yr.
just arrived in nl,ca. and have had plenty fuel so far. diesel about 4.30 per gal.
if u need names of places we stayed free e-mail me, i will be in st.johns for a few more days..
paddler
paddler67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:11 PM   #9
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
I've always carried 2-3 5gal of diesel on a long trip. But I don't use any power drills or electric pumps. I went to walmart and bought a hand squeeze pump (some call it a kerosene pump) and attached a 3 ft. clear tube to it.
When we stop at a rest stop I put a 5 gal can of diesel on the tool box and 3 squeezes and the diesel is flowing. I can then go to the rest room or eat lunch. Within 3 min. it's empty and the second 5 gal can is on the tool box and 3 more squeezes its being emptied by gravity.
We never are longer than 10 - 15 min in a rest stop and have refueled, ate lunch and used the restroom.
It's worked for me on trucks and boats.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:21 PM   #10
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We went to AK last year, carried 2 - 5 gal cans, but we filled up whenever there was a station. You cannot camp alongside the road in Canada. You can stay in Wal-Marts, Canada Tire Stores (just be sure to ask first), provencial parks and private campgrounds. We did camp in pullouts, rest areas and any place that wasn't marked "no camping" while in AK. You can also stay in Fred Meyer (grocery store) parking lots. The Freddie's in Soldatna has an area for campers with water and a dump station. Follow Icehouse's advice and take a current Milepost. It is invaluable. And, don't forget your sign for the Signpost Village in Watson Lake!! Have fun.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:44 PM   #11
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
We spent the summer of '07 in Alaska/Canada - we did not carry extra deisel and had no problem. I agree with Bob n Pam on campgrounds. We stayed a week on Homer Spit - a must in my book.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote