Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2015, 02:39 PM   #1
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
3790RD

My wife and I are thinking of going from our current '03 3575RL to the rear dean 3790. Anybody have any experience with this plan? Looks to me like the recliners could be a tight squeeze. Also concerned a little for inside storage. Any comments or observations?

MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:02 PM   #2
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Picking ours up this morning, lots of storage space inside if ya go looking. Was leaning toward a Bighorn 3750FL until we seen the Montana on a lot, was no contest after that.

The Montana won out hands down, dealer is 3 hrs away compared to the Bighorn dealer 20 minutes away but there really couldn't be a fair comparison after viewing both inside.

The Bighorn was 10 grand more plus taxes as well which sealed the fate and choice.

Good luck, one other on this site that I've found since joining the other day that has had one for a while hopefully they will chime in.
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:59 AM   #3
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
It is an excellent floor plan. more storage inside and out compared to my 3711FL, Only 2 reasons I went with the FL instead. #1 was Weight. #2 DW had her eyes set on an FL for the last 4 years.
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:46 AM   #4
chris199
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17167
May be more than you wanted to hear....but here goes:

We picked ours up in April and love it. I'd estimate we've camped 30-35 nights in it so far with more planned! We've taken it from PA to the Nashville area and to DC. No issues so far with towing.

It's big. No doubt about that. Am still getting used to backing up a 42' 5er. (We had a 32' TT and a 19' TT before that.)

1.) Outside Storage:
We keep everything (I mean everything) in the rear storage with the exception of the grill, the propane tank for the grill, the vacuum attachments, a broom and swiffer to wet mop the vinyl floor.

2.) Inside Storage
The cabinets in the den are shallower than what we've had in our Cougar TT and we had overhead storage over the sofa and dinette in the past BUT the storage in the kitchen (the "hutch" especially) and the cabinets under the theater seating are more than enough. We have plenty of unused storage space right now. Pantry closet is great. Large/residential fridge is excellent - especially the ice maker. I wasn't expecting an ice maker but it really has been handy. Storage in the bedroom is great but that's partly because we don't have nor plan to have a washer/dryer up there. We use the shelves on the side of the closet for some storage. I'd estimate we use 60% of the storage there routinely. The hamper is great. The chest of drawers is moderate size but no issue putting stuff in the closet instead.

3.) What to watch for
As with any RV you need to watch the cabinet doors when opening the slides. That's especially true in this unit. There are 6 doors to check before opening slides.
a.) Open dinette first. Let table extend and the fridge side will slide slightly. Check on both sides of the fridge slide before opening fully. One our first night on the way back from the dealer in Vermont, we crushed the door and bent the hinges of the door immediately next to the fridge/under the theater seats. The one next to the oven will open too.

b.) BTW.....we put a pillow between the oven, teh door under the oven and the doors on the island when towing. Those can open and bang against one another. Silly I know....but it's routine for us now.

c.) Once the kitchen slides are out....slide each sofa out slightly. That will give you enough room to go up there and confirm the cabinet doors on each side are still closed. Never had one open but the time I dont check will be the time I'll crush some. Had to purchase a new cabinet door and hinges but the cost was about $100 and I had the replacements within 10 days from the dealer/Keystone. They just drop shipped them to me. Easy install.

4.) Theater Seating.
Yes...it's tight there but the seats do recline OK. I use the seat next to the steps often. DW uses the other seat from time to time. No issues there so far.

5.) Sofa Beds
So far...so good. That's a tight fit too but it works. When open we have to raise both sides together and form a V and ease them down simultaneously to have both beds open together. We use a foam topper on one of them for my daughter - not crazy about carrying it around when she camps with us but you do anything for your daughters....even when they are in their 30's.

6.) It's big!
It takes 1-2 hrs to wash and dry it. Closer to 2 but I take an 8' ladder around it and wipe it down to dry it off. Geez...that's a tall rig!

7.) Other items
Found some cosmetic flaws in the finish in a cpl of places. Will see if that can be handled on the warranty. One is on a storage door so that may not be too bad to deal with.

I purchased a 50a to 30a pigtail and an extension cord "just in case" before we took delivery. Turns out we've used them OFTEN. Highly recommend getting them!

Indicators on the gray tanks work fine. Black tank indicator always reads 3/4 full when empty. That's normal for any RV I guess. Still dealing with getting that piece of tissue (I'm assuming) off that sensor. Tank handles in the convenience center pull hard. Am putting a bottle of tank valve lube in at the end of this trip. Have heard that works wonders.

BE CAREFUL: I can't tell you how many times the DW or me (more often me) leave the cabinet door open to the control center (lights, etc.) inside. I've banged my head pretty seriously several times. I've got to figure something out there. That's dangerous. Just be careful..... it's easy to turn around and head up the stairs when that door's open, not notice it, and wham!!

The day/night shades in den are great. They are not in the bedroom....who knows why. Light streams through bedroom shades. Am planning to purchase from MCD and install myself.

Check all of the light switches when taking delivery. We did and noticed the driver's side and Opposite Driver's Side scare lights were flipped when connected to the switches. Easy fix for the dealer but flipped at the factory.

We put a Progressive Industries surge protector in the rig. It has already saved us. Camped at a site with a missing ground when under load. Everything would have been fried w/out it. That was within the first month after delivery. Use a good surge protector.

King bed size is great although it doesn't allow much room on bed sides. Size of bed is worth the trade off. Mattress is awful. We have a foam topper on it now. It's like a marshmallow. Hate it. Sleep number will be in our future....maybe in 2016. Mattress is BAD! Platform for bed is too small (probably the queen size platform) but it's "OK"....certainly not a serious issue at all. Will make longer and wider when we put in the SN bed.

Bathroom cabinet does stick out over the sink. You'll hear about this from owners of other models too. It is what it is. I don't really care that much. I really appreciate so many of the other features to let that bother me. There is a lot of storage in the bathroom BTW. The cabinet has 3 ample shelves. The cabinets next to the toilet are deep and hold a lot!

We added the Legacy Pkg (upgraded suspension, heated bath and BR floors among other things), double pane windows (much quieter), and upgraded the tires and had keystone put the slide toppers on. We had vent covers put on by the dealer.

I HIGHLY recommend the 3791RD - without reservation!

chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:07 AM   #5
sabercat

M.O.C. #17565
Chris199 nice rightup
sabercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:06 PM   #6
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Mike, Hope you are shopping for a new truck also. You will be so far beyond what a SRW 7.3L should be towing.

Not the Tow police, but I have towed a 16K 5th behind a 2001 F350 DRW and now with the Ram, there is no comparison.

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:47 PM   #7
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Thanks for the input. I have used a hard wired surge protector for the last 12 years in my current rig. It has saved my bacon a few times. Good idea. Thanks for the input on the 5er. I appreciate it. In reference to the truck jlb....., if I go ahead and buy the trailer, I will probably try it with my current right first. If it proves unsatisfactory, and may be right, I will have to get a new pu. It would then, at least, be in different years. Anybody else too chime in?
Old 07-09-2015, 03:12 AM   #8
Carole
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12726
Chris199, very informative write up.
Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:37 PM   #9
chevelle69

M.O.C. #17192
We got our 3790rd in april and have used it about 60 nights so far. No major issues but few thing that i dont like. we have the legacy package with the whisper air in the rear den. The air conditioner takes while to cool down and even then I have to turn on 2nd air in bedroom and put fan in doorway. Over half of the cable hook ups and tank levers are labeled back wards. Mattresses is bad but got 3" foam topper and good to go now. My son sleeps on one of the pull out couches and the feet of the bed are discoloring the carpet already. Switched him to air mattress in floor now.Biggest trouble I've had is with black tank. Since day one seems like have trouble with cable to tank. Every time I go to take cap off there is some leakage. Not lot but more than there should be. Other than that we love it.
chevelle69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:13 PM   #10
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
chevelle69 (that was a cool car, huh), once you are cooled down is the a/c able to keep it cool with the bedroom closed and that a/c off?
Old 07-09-2015, 03:00 PM   #11
chevelle69

M.O.C. #17192
Sure was!!! It really depends on how hot it is. If ya know it going to be hot out and u turn ac on early in day then it seems to keep up better.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:35 PM   #12
chris199
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17167
Chevelle...we have the same issue with the black tank. Always a cpl cups of blk waste spills out when I remove the cap.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 04:17 PM   #13
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
Black tank leakage/surprise is common. Easy fix by adding a blade valve on the end of the discharge pipe. Then leakage goes into the drain hose and not on your hands!
Old 07-13-2015, 03:48 PM   #14
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Got the new 3790rd home, got all the stuff from the Cruiser CF345RF put into it and the front storage is almost empty, back storage has lots of room.... wow.

half the cabinets inside are empty, had a few issues already with trim falling off inside, I attached all the pieces back on with silicone and clamps and now good. Door to washroom wouldn't latch, filed the latchplate and now good, screws fell out of wheel well covers on way home somewhere (sorry for the flat someone)replaced and silicone the backs to prevent further issues, painted galvanized electrical box on hitch.

After reading on this site problems with cabinet doors inside coming open I installed magnetic latch's on those that I read have problems to assist the factory installed spring mounted ones, installed second 12v battery. Waxed frontend after washing off bugs, vacuumed and vacuumed sawdust from everywhere that had migrated during 3hr drive from dealers.

Tightened bolts on couch's and a few other spots, filled some gaps underneath with animal resistant foam, several door screws not tight.

Lots of little adjustments and tweaks and some little repairs that aren't worth the drive to dealers... over all these are Cougar but as long as it is this small stuff I'm not to worried.

Bought 7yr extended warranty for piece of mind on major appliances and components, too bad they don't put G rated tires on these things like Bighorn and Jayco's that one really is a head scratcher given the price point.

Overall this layout is awesome, off to a Bluegrass Festival this weekend where we will check out couch beds for comfort as a couple bandmates will be sleeping on them.

Can't wait for weekend one.......
Old 07-13-2015, 09:56 PM   #15
chevelle69

M.O.C. #17192
Watch for ceiling fan blades to come loose also. I had one screw fall out of each blade into light globe. Easy fix though
Old 07-14-2015, 09:47 AM   #16
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Okay thanks will take a look at locktiting them as well thanks

anything else ???
Old 07-29-2015, 06:03 PM   #17
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
How did the two recliners work for you? They seemed to be tight to the non-rail one not opening. Has there been a problem with this?
Old 07-29-2015, 08:05 PM   #18
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
G rated tires Standard on Big Horn And Jayco Pinnacle?? I don't think so,I shopped and looked at both and they have the same ST e rated tires and G LT tires is a Option just like Montana
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by speedster100

Got the new 3790rd home, got all the stuff from the Cruiser CF345RF put into it and the front storage is almost empty, back storage has lots of room.... wow.

half the cabinets inside are empty, had a few issues already with trim falling off inside, I attached all the pieces back on with silicone and clamps and now good. Door to washroom wouldn't latch, filed the latchplate and now good, screws fell out of wheel well covers on way home somewhere (sorry for the flat someone)replaced and silicone the backs to prevent further issues, painted galvanized electrical box on hitch.

After reading on this site problems with cabinet doors inside coming open I installed magnetic latch's on those that I read have problems to assist the factory installed spring mounted ones, installed second 12v battery. Waxed frontend after washing off bugs, vacuumed and vacuumed sawdust from everywhere that had migrated during 3hr drive from dealers.

Tightened bolts on couch's and a few other spots, filled some gaps underneath with animal resistant foam, several door screws not tight.

Lots of little adjustments and tweaks and some little repairs that aren't worth the drive to dealers... over all these are Cougar but as long as it is this small stuff I'm not to worried.

Bought 7yr extended warranty for piece of mind on major appliances and components, too bad they don't put G rated tires on these things like Bighorn and Jayco's that one really is a head scratcher given the price point.

Overall this layout is awesome, off to a Bluegrass Festival this weekend where we will check out couch beds for comfort as a couple bandmates will be sleeping on them.

Can't wait for weekend one.......
Old 08-25-2015, 08:36 AM   #19
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Well, the wife and I pulled the trigger and bought the 3790. We are having the dealer add a on demand hot water system, disk brakes, four window awnings, swapping the batter for two 6 volts batteries and moving from a king to queen mattress. Should get it in a couple of weeks.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:57 PM   #20
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Congrats and enjoy. Wishing you many happy adventures.
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote