Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2010, 06:42 AM   #1
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Motion Detector Light

I just installed a 12-volt motion detector light on our Montana. It replaces the amber light that comes with the rig. I purchased it from Starlights, Inc.

Orv

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:13 AM   #2
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
I've had this Smart light for over two years. I've talked face to face with the Engineer of this light and explain to him that it doesn't always turn on when we approach the stairs,his comment was that he designed it as a heat sensor and it all depends on the surface your parked on. Cement is the best were as pavement and dirt will detect the heat quicker and the light can't defer from your body heat and the surface heat.
Orv, I'm not trying to down rate this light,I do like it I'm just trying to explain why it doesn't always perform the way you would expect it to.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:17 AM   #3
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jjackflash

I've had this Smart light for over two years. I've talked face to face with the Engineer of this light and explain to him that it doesn't always turn on when we approach the stairs,his comment was that he designed it as a heat sensor and it all depends on the surface your parked on. Cement is the best were as pavement and dirt will detect the heat quicker and the light can't defer from your body heat and the surface heat.
Orv, I'm not trying to down rate this light,I do like it I'm just trying to explain why it doesn't always perform the way you would expect it to.
Jack
So if you're on fire, it should work great!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:35 PM   #4
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jjackflash

Jack
So if you're on fire, it should work great!
You got it right Tom!
Jack
Old 05-14-2010, 02:38 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Well, it's too bad that it didn't work for you. It works well for us. Not everything is meant for everyone and not everyone is happy with something that someone else thinks is great. That's what makes the world go round and that's why there are so many different kinds of products. Joe may not like what Bob has and Bob may not like what Harry has, but Harry likes what both Joe and Bob have. Go figure! I hope you realize that these are fictional names.

Orv
Old 05-14-2010, 04:29 PM   #6
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
For a $100, it better brew my morning coffee and brush my teeth for me too! Oh yeah, the dang light better come on every time somebody walks by when it is dark outside, that would be a plus .....IMHO.
KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:37 PM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
My $5.99 Harbor Freight Motion Detector light works every time regardless of the surface, clothing, temperature, or type of critter passing by. The only time it doesn't is when it is still light out - it knows the difference.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:16 PM   #8
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Orv,I didn't mean anything by this,I'm just passing on what the designer told me.
Butch,that's what I use under my steps.
Jack
Old 05-15-2010, 02:32 AM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I don't understand the designer saying that it's heat sensitive. All I do is open the door from the inside and the light comes on. Has nothing to do with body heat. And, as far as costing nearly $100 goes, many forum members will recall that I always maintain that you get what you pay for.

Orv
Old 05-15-2010, 04:11 AM   #10
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Orv, it could also be that the designer changed the design between you model and Jacks.

Anything special about the hook up, or was it pretty much just a replacement procedure!
Old 05-15-2010, 04:26 AM   #11
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I have the Smart Light also. Also have had the same experience as Jack has had, but I ordered when it first hit the market. If I'm not mistaken it is a adjustable. As for the price Orv is correct you get what you pay for. I haven't installed the Smart Light on our 2010 5er yet, our 5er has step lights and the porch light and the step light uses very little electricity. But its very simple just remove the existing light and follow the instructions its a very simple install. It should mount using the existing holes. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:47 AM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:

Orv, it could also be that the designer changed the design between you model and Jacks.

Anything special about the hook up, or was it pretty much just a replacement procedure!
Tom,
It was a replacement for the one that came on the rig. I did have to put two new holes in since the ones in the new light were a little wider apart than the original. It was a simple installation with exact instructions. It can be operated manually or automatically. Instructions are provided for programming it to operate automatically. My wife really likes it and I do too. It really lights up the area outside the rig.

ORv
Old 05-15-2010, 05:08 AM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I have the Smart Light also and, as I recall, there is a sensitivity adjustment for the motion detector. We have had ours a little over a year and no problems lighting when we come home.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:00 AM   #14
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Like Tom was saying,Mine is over 2 years old and might be the original design!
Jack
Old 05-15-2010, 06:03 AM   #15
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
OK guys, y'all got my curiosity up. The following is a copy and paste. I can see how hot pavement, concrete, or anything else can effect these detectors.

The "motion sensing" feature on most lights (and security systems) is a passive system that detects infrared energy. These sensors are therefore known as PIR (passive infrared) detectors or pyroelectric sensors. In order to make a sensor that can detect a human being, you need to make the sensor sensitive to the temperature of a human body. Humans, having a skin temperature of about 93 degrees F, radiate infrared energy with a wavelength between 9 and 10 micrometers. Therefore, the sensors are typically sensitive in the range of 8 to 12 micrometers.

I borrowed that from here: How stuff works.

I've used them in the past, just never was interested in how they work til now.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:24 AM   #16
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
The motion/heat sensor in our church hallway must be heat sensitive. If I am wearing a leather coat and come in from cold weather, like 35 of lower I can get almost all the way up to the sensor before it senses me. That is a distance of about 25 feet. On a warm day with cloth jacket it senses me immediately when the door is open. Just some information from my observations.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:42 AM   #17
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

I have the Smart Light also and, as I recall, there is a sensitivity adjustment for the motion detector. We have had ours a little over a year and no problems lighting when we come home.....
You're right, there is a sensitivity adjustment. The instructions say that it is set at the factory for the most sensitive.

The way ours works I'm not going to readjust it.

Orv
Old 05-16-2010, 04:12 AM   #18
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

Quote:

Tom,
It was a replacement for the one that came on the rig. I did have to put two new holes in since the ones in the new light were a little wider apart than the original. It was a simple installation with exact instructions. It can be operated manually or automatically. Instructions are provided for programming it to operate automatically. My wife really likes it and I do too. It really lights up the area outside the rig.

ORv
My wife really likes it

That is the MAIN criteria!!!
Old 07-04-2010, 09:30 AM   #19
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I have a couple of questions for those who have a sensor light installed.

1. We are considering getting a sensor light. The arm of our awning is very close to the light presently installed will the awning arm be a problem?
2. Does it mount with an exact match over the mounting holes for the current light we have on our units?

Old 07-04-2010, 10:12 AM   #20
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Bill & Donna,
The motion detector light we installed fit in the place of the amber light that is usually over the door of the rig. So, I can't talk about where you are thinking of mounting a light.

Orv