Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2010, 08:05 PM   #1
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Boat-Sports and Travel Show-- Omaha

We were down to the BSTS on opening night here in Omaha along with the Kelpes and the local dealer here had the new front living room model on display like the one we saw at the fall rally! Many good comments on it but as I sat on the L-shaped couch I noticed one thing-- it was very confining! Felt like I was in some type of very small room while sitting there!
The dealer also had one of the new Helium Technology units! This one was the Montana High Country! VERY INTERESTING to say the least! The one they had was the 333DBHE and it has the bedroom up front like all of ours BUT it had bunks in the back with a half bath and closets and storage drawers back there also. As I said "very interesting"! They do have two more models the 323RLHE anad the 343 RLHE and I'd be very interested in seeing one of these! The RLHE's have the living room in the rear and of course are the Helium Tech. The 333 has a weight of only 9460 lbs. with a hitch weight of 2130. I talked to one of the sales personel and they said it is made to be towed by a 3/4 ton TV. The 323 seems to be the same length as the 333 which is 37'4" and the 343 seems to be about 3' longer if you go by the flyer floor plans. Neither the 323 or the 343 have any weight/hitch or length on the flyers and are TBD. The 323 is a three slide unit while the 333 and the 343 are four slide units. Believe this or not but the lavitory sink in the master bath is one of those like in a stick home and is glass(at least it looks like it) and stands above the surface of the sink with a tall faucet rising above it! I'm not sure where this unit falls into the catagory of the Montana but they are very interesting! The only thing the DW's did not like was the two toned kitchen cabinets. Dark wood on the bottom cabinets and an off colored white or cream on the top ones! Needless to say, I was inpressed with this unit! Check these units out if you get a chance to see them!

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:21 AM   #2
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
RON
My 3400 has a hitch weight of 1975 listed and I,m over weight on the back axel with that. My sales person told me all of the
Montana line was made to be towed with a 3/4 truck. You don't think the truth my be stretched a little bit do you.
Ron
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:50 AM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Could be Ron! You never know what the salesmen are trying to feed you these days! It is a nice looking unit and the 343 floor plan is very similar to yours! The only difference is the upper cupboards in the kitchen are the antique white and the bottoms are a cherry(I think)!
The weight police may have other things to say about all Montanas being made to be towed by a 3/4 ton(legally) but these are the new Helium Technology and are suppose to be a whole lot lighter for towing. I frankly don't understand why approximately 1/4 of the weight of the units are on the hitch but who am I to know anything about engineering of a fifth wheel!
I'll send you a PM or regular email!

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:58 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The actual pin weight of our 06 3400 weighed by RVSEF at the fall rally was 2915lbs. What in the ***** is that Helium technology all about.. Helium is "light" so it must be a martketing term meaning we are lighter...but.... what did they do to make it lighter???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:41 PM   #5
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
The HE models are now on the Keystone website along with downloadable brochures (with the pictures upside down). Basically the tires are filled with helium along with air bags positioned throughout the coach. Engineers credit last year's hit movie UP with providing the inspiration for this. With a couple of more years of development and testing we'll be able to float our rig to the campgrounds and eliminate the need for a tow vehicle alltogether. LOL!

Seriously it says the HE models are built with new materials and construction techniques. They claim strength isn't sacrificed in these models. Time and miles will tell. I'm sure the MOC will have a proud new HE owner join soon.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:46 AM   #6
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Our actual hitch weighted in at 2,480. The 1,975 is what Keystone listed it at which is less than the
2,130 that Keystone listed the 333DBHE Helium at.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote