Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2010, 03:48 PM   #1
DaveandDoris
Established Member

M.O.C. #9864
I wish for a better Full Time Toy Hauler

In figuring out how to take 2 motorcycles along on our new lifestyle, we have finally come to the conclusion we can't.

So, my wish is for 5 feet to be added to the back of a Montana 3400 (my personal favorite)with a side garage door. This would allow us to take along BOTH our bikes and the favorite pastime when we travel.

Toyhaulers are nice for weekend or week long trips to play, but nothing really addresses taking them for Fulltime.

Just saying.....

DaveandDoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:52 PM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Have you ever looked at Keystone's Fuzion?
We have seen them and they are really nice. Just don’t have a need or the money for one. Looks like it would be very suitable for what you are talking about. I doubt my 1-ton dually would be a big enough truck for it either.

Welcome to the forum, you’ve found the right place!
Old 01-25-2010, 10:45 PM   #3
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
who says you can't take it with you? You just need a big enough truck.

We did look at a lot of different toy haulers before heading in the direction we did. They just don't have the living space we wanted and most if them looked more like a sports bar rather than a RV on the inside.

Good luck on your search.
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:22 PM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I think that as a general group - maybe 99%? - people looking for toyhaulers are weekenders, maybe extended to a week of living in the "people area". Most FTers looking to haul their bikes, ATVs, golf carts, etc go the route of a Class A with a good sized trailer behind. This, however, really raises the bar on financial capability. Even then you are sacrificing a good deal of living space going from a Montana (3400 anyway) to a Class A - even the largest ones that seen...

This is strictly my observations...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:40 PM   #5
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Mountaineer has a toyhauler that looks good and the garage is also a TV room.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:31 AM   #6
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
When we were deciding...and down to 3....the raptor was one of them. It had the side garage doors (yep,plural). I think model was like a 400MP or something like that. Saw it at the cleveland rv show and fell in love. It was marked down show special to 46K. Had w/d prep in garage too. We thought it would even work as a full or longtimer for us. A little more "modern" inside, but still pretty dang sharp unit. I really liked the breakfast bar, and you could swap out the one couch for two raptor recliners. Even with the marked down price, it was slightly out of what we wanted to pay...and we were sticking to our guns in that department. After a year or two with our RK, we may re-visit this tho'. Wherever we decide to winter, it'll be two trips anyway as we have the bike as well as a boat.
Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:38 AM   #7
loua_loua
Established Member

M.O.C. #9330
Send a message via MSN to loua_loua
Hi Dave and Doris: I too am in a quandry about how to haul my toy (a 2008 Harley Ultra Classic) when I go out with my Big Sky. The Sky has a class 4 hitch on the rear so I've been looking at a couple of possible solutions. One made by Fast Master Products Inc. called the Swivel Wheel Trailer http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel.html. This little unit comes in a variety of sizes and each model has either one or two swivel wheels on it. It attaches to the 5th wheel via the class 4 hitch and unlike a traditional ball type trailer, this unit does not sit on a ball. Rather it has kind of a knuckle that allows it to ride up and down as the road contours but not side to side. Prety neat I think, since this way there's no chance of jack-knifing and backing up is easy since it tracks directly behind the 5th wheel. The 58DW model will take the weight of about 1200 lbs, and my bike comes in from the factory at around 850 lbs. So, as I say, I'm leaning more toward this solution. The trailer is a little pricey at around $2k but it comes with real good reviews. The other think I'm looking at is called the Undertaker Trailer - http://undertakermts.com/mod.php?mod=siteinfo&id=10 With this unit, you pull the front wheel of your bike into the cradle and tow the bike on it's rear wheel. A lot less pricey at about $400.00 but I'm not totaly conviced this is for me..... Any way, thought you'd like to check out these sites..... Let me know how you make out.....loua_loua......
loua_loua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:07 PM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
loua loua... the link is having difficulty because of the "period" at the end. You might want to edit the text and remove the "period" or put a space between it.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:27 PM   #9
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We where at a RV show in Hershey last year. I think it was the Fusion but it actually had the decor of a living room versus the biking decor, and it had a sliding door that moved to the left to expose the back garage door to allow the bike to come in. When you took the bike out you slide the door back resulting in a living room with recliners and kitchen with a bar. It was the nicest Toy Hauler we saw that still gave you the open floor plan. You did loose the large picture window in the back which I just love in our Montana's but you can not have it all.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:37 AM   #10
Folsom Lake RV

M.O.C. #9169
The Fuzion model mentioned above is called a 383. It measures 39'1" and weighs unloaded 12,760 lbs. It has plenty of space for a couple full dress Harleys.
Folsom Lake RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:42 AM   #11
ratfink11
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9683
This has been my dilema also as I have a Harley Davidson Road King and a 3400 RL. Do not like interiors of toy haulers as much as I tried to! There is no option except for a MDT that has a long bed on it. Cannot double tow in NYS. I have seen them on the web but never priced them. Cannot imagine what they go for!
ratfink11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:45 PM   #12
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
Hi,

Depending on the size of the motor bikes, here is a way with your fifth wheel. I have a buddy who takes two of those Honda 200's and has built a rack for the front of the truck for one and a rack on the back of his sob for the other. If you are interested, I cane get him to send a pick and be a guest star on the forum!It works very well and they unload in a couple minutes and off the go.
sfretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:27 AM   #13
Stickdog

M.O.C. #8777
The wife and I both have bikes. A Kawasaki 900 mine and a LS650 hers. There combined weight are just a few pounds under the weight limit of the 347THT garage of 1000#. This is the only toy hauler that doesn't look like one and meets most of our other requirements. We would prefer an all in one bath but there ain't no perfect RV.

I do think the swivel wheel is a workable solution depending on length of your trailer and something I'm still contemplating. As far as the undertakers motorcycle towing thingy, if doing much traveling you will wear your rear tire much quicker and I rather do it riding
Stickdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:13 AM   #14
DaveandDoris
Established Member

M.O.C. #9864
Thanks for the thoughts. We have looked at the swivel wheel trailers and that may be a option. I have a Honda VTX1300 and the wife has a V Star 650. We are probably going to look at a Fusion and see if it would work for us.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:39 AM   #15
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Stickdog

The wife and I both have bikes. A Kawasaki 900 mine and a LS650 hers. There combined weight are just a few pounds under the weight limit of the 347THT garage of 1000#. This is the only toy hauler that doesn't look like one and meets most of our other requirements. We would prefer an all in one bath but there ain't no perfect RV.

I do think the swivel wheel is a workable solution depending on length of your trailer and something I'm still contemplating. As far as the undertakers motorcycle towing thingy, if doing much traveling you will wear your rear tire much quicker and I rather do it riding
Would the swivel wheel option be considered another trailer and you would be pulling doubles or just a length extension?
mojavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:15 AM   #16
DaveandDoris
Established Member

M.O.C. #9864
Don't know if the swivel wheel trailer is considered a double or an extension....need to do some more research.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:32 PM   #17
Stickdog

M.O.C. #8777
According to the swivel wheel web site Q&A's it is an extension not an trailer. But different jurisdictions might look at it differently. I've read on other forums that some have pulled doubles (boat or storage trailer) behind their 5ers in many states they are not allowed and never had a problem. Don't know if I'd be willing to take a chance, could open up a can of worms if one was ever in a mishap. It seems like the mid-west and west other than the left coast are more accepting of towing doubles so whether it's a trailer or an extension might not pose a problem in those jurisdictions.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:40 PM   #18
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
I have the swivel wheel dolly, the dual wheel version, and carry an electric golf cart; works great. It is considered an extension of the trailer, it does not connect to a ball hitch. You can backup,just remember your about 5 ft longer. I got the larger high speed tires and have them filled with nitrogen so they run cooler. so far so good. MY ideal 5w would be to have a 340 Big Sky like I had, or SOB I have now, with a toy hauler back end, room enough for W/D, bicycles, grill, and golf cart. One thing on the Swivel Wheel, it is not recommended for 5w's under 30'
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:07 PM   #19
Stickdog

M.O.C. #8777
Kerry, Thanks for the reply. I haven't heard from anyone who has the swivel wheel setup so it's good to hear from an actual user. There are several models of 5ers that I think would serve us better than a TH but we really want to travel with our bikes.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:07 PM   #20
joco

M.O.C. #8819
DId you check out the Mountaineer 347THT... its very cool and might be what you are looking for.

http://keystone-mountaineer.com/inde...347THT-gallery
joco is offline   Reply With Quote