Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2009, 08:29 AM   #1
Warren Blanchard

M.O.C. #9873
Bottom of the bed slidout

I took my 2006 fifth wheel out of storage after a long cold winter. I noticed the hard plastic cover on the bottom of the bedroom sild out was cracked and broken. Is this a typical problem? does it need to be replaced. I am fear that it might tear the bottom seal if I don't do something. Is this something I could do myself?

Warren Blanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:05 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is not typical but it does happen for various reasons. I would check with your dealer or Keystone customer service. Ours also cracked but Keystone replaced it.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:19 AM   #3
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I am a quasi-expert on this!!!!! Yes they do crack, but no one has been able to explain why. I have theories, but I'll keep those to my self. If your trailer is beyond the warranty phase, get ready for serious expense shock. In order to replace the plastic panel, they have to pull the slide out from out of the trailer. Cost runs around $1200, give or take. Keystone considers this 'cosmetic' so it's only covered for 90 days, though I'm sure they would replace it in the first year if you made enough noise. The kicker is there is no guaranty it won't break again.

The panel serves no purpose other than looks. When the weather gets warm again, I plan to fill the rough plywood (you'll see it under the plastic when you remove it) under the panel with a wood filler, sand it smooth and paint it.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote