Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
klash
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9399
MOC- A Wealth of Information

Back in June we bought a 2007 Montana, 2955RL. This unit was mint, it sat in a covered
shed, plugged in for 2 years while the young fellow who owned it built a house. Fridge and stove never used, just the bed and shower, still had the new smell.

I read the forum almost every day, and I have learned more about our unit in the past few months than I could have in a year or more. Since we got the new rig I have down sized the
king bed platform to queen, got rid of the king mattress and went to a queen high density foam. Wired up a second satellite connection for the bedroom. Got rid of the heavy old
CRT television in the bedroom and put in a 23" LCD.
Installed new shelf half way up in the high cupboard over the kitchen sink. Also put in
a dedicated on/off switch for the water heater inside by the thermostat. Also put in a clear plastic pipe on the water heater relief valve that goes through the door and outside the trailer. The odd time that the relief simmers it doesn't leak down into the basement of
the trailer.

I have installed the Dexter heavy duty suspension kit with the bronze bushings and
grease fittings. Checked all my axle U bolts and found them okay.

This unit had the mileage from Goshen to Victoria, BC here in Canada, which is approx
2,200 miles. We added another 500 miles this summer. Took my wheels off two at a
time and had them balanced. I found that all the tires were at approx 50 psi, not at 80 psi where they are supposed to be.

All of the negative news here in the forum about the Mission tires scares me. However I am going to give them the best treatment that I can, and keep my fingers crossed that
we will enjoy a good long life with them. We have done a weigh in, and we are at 12,070 lbs road ready. We are VERY weight conscious, and we have trimmed things down pretty good. We only travel 250 miles a day, always leave the parks at 7 a.m. and never drive
over 55 mph. So the tires will have slow and easy days and in cooler temperatures.

We are leaving on October the 31st and heading for California and Arizona for the winter.

The nice thing about all of this is that my wife finally gets a fifth with a bed room slide, and our son bought this for us. We traded in a 2005 Outback, and he paid the difference.
As he said to us jokingly, "well I'm going to get it anyway". So we promised him that we
would have fun in it and take good care of it in the mean time.

We tow with a 2003 GMC 2500 crew cab, Duramax and Allison transmission. We call our rig Max and Monty.

klash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:23 PM   #2
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
congradulations on the montana hope you have a safe trip and have lots of fun.
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:55 PM   #3
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Glad you had a good time this summer with the new Montana. We have the early "08" 2955 and enjoy it full. We will be in Quartzite for the get together and then Yuma for 2 weeks after. Maybe we will see you there or see you at one of the HTR parks sometime. We usually go to The Cedars. We have missed your Travel stories in the RV Times.
Have a great winter.

Don & Mary Ann
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:46 AM   #4
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Welcome to the forum. One item you might want to consider is a tire pressure monitor system. It gives you a bit more peace of mind while traveling.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:22 AM   #5
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Welcome to the forum and we hope you have many happy times in your Montana.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:33 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I second NCFischers suggestion on the tire pressure monitor system, whichever brand you buy. It has saved my bacon several times. AND enjoy that new rig and many happy miles to you.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:44 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Note that we did about 10K on our Mission tires and they were in excellent condition when we replaced them. We do have the tire pressure monitors, drive at 62/65 MPH and do frequent inspections..on any brand tire... We will admit that the frequency of failures on this and other forums influence us to change them out. It is my personal opinion that the Missions were no better..no worse than other low bid OEM tires.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:09 AM   #8
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
congradulations on your montana we hope you enjoy it as much as we have over there years , and check your tires for cracks and check the pressure. the biggest problem wasnt the tires it was my valve stems i had one to start leaking as the rim cut it, so after that i had new tires and valve stems. the owener of the tire shop told me he had seam it often with the soft stems so he put me the hard screw down type. hope this helps you.........
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:15 AM   #9
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Total agree with you klash, the MOC site is a wealth of info. The people here are the best and offer so much hands on info that a person RVing for decades would never have. I also was on this site as much as I could a year or so before we purchased our rig, and then even more after. Welcome to the site, and hope your winter travels are full of fun and relaxation.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:13 PM   #10
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
Congrats.
We also have a 2955RL, delivery taken Nov 2007. I noted your concern about tires - Mission. I am in the procees of replacing them before we head south. I found one with a sidewall bulge on the way home last spring and when I started looking all of them had developed noticeable bulges over the summer, although some were still small. My tires were dated April 2007 so were not old stock at the time, pressure kept at 80PSI, balanced and were looked after and kept covered. So check them carefully and frequently and good luck.
Maybe we will see you down there.
clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote