Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2009, 08:28 PM   #1
tonycamacho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9300
Send a message via AIM to tonycamacho
Mor-ryde Pin Box

I am new to towing fifth wheelers. I previously owned a motor home, but it seem like I spent more time working on it each time we went anywhere because it sat without use for long periods. So I bought an Artic Fox pickup slide-in camper. This unit had a pop-out and we loved it, but last year because of health stuff my wife and I lived in it four months. It felt like we were living in a box. So I decided fifth wheel was the way to go. February I bought a 2005 clean pre-owned 2955RL Monty. Because we live in Mexico and we will tow our Monty back to Mexico in October I had the dealers upgrade my FW with the Mor-ryde suspension because of the Mexico roads. Now I want to do the same with the pin box but I am looking for some inputs from the guys that have towed with standard pin boxes and the Mor-ryde boxes. Is it really worth the investment?

Tony

tonycamacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:04 AM   #2
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
We don't have the Mor-Ryde suspension but we do have the pin box. Worth every cent.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:48 AM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I have both the Mor-Ryde suspension and pin box. I love both of them. The pin box smoothes out the starting and stopping and softens out the bumps in the road.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:44 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I owned an 04 2955RL prior to our 3485SA. The 2955 had the standard pin box and suspension. The 3485 has the MorRyde pin box and suspension. Today I would not want to go back to the old. I am completely satisfied with the new.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:50 AM   #5
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
We have both the MorRyde pin box and suspension and really like the way both TV and Monty handle. I do notice that over rougher roads the Monty will tend to bounce and am researching and considering the addition Shocks to reduce the bounce frequency. Ellis
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:48 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
8e3k0, there have been a few posts lately that MorRyde does not need shocks and a representative said they were unecessary/not required/not needed - something like that, but I hope someone here can jog my memory.

But for the MorRyde pin box and MorRyde suspension, I have not heard of anyone not wanting to be without them after they have had them. This would be a great investment especially for those of us who travel rough roads. They are on my shopping list!

Just so you know that all great things aren't without their flaws, the MorRyde suspension can develop cracks in the rubber if not installed correctly or under long term heavy driving conditions (excessive wear and tear?). The cracks are not bad until they reach a certain length and depth. But using care over rough roads like slower speeds could probably help prevent that. I have not heard any complaints about the MorRyde pin box.

tonycamacho - my vote is that they are great investment versus not having them.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:00 AM   #7
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
If you decide to get the MorRyde pin box check out Tweety RV. Best prices.
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:23 AM   #8
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I have owned the Mor/Ryde pin box and had a Trailer Saver sir ride 5th wheel hitch. The combo was great never any chucking what so ever. I have the Trailair pin box now, the will have a regular pin box but it will ride on the Trailer Saver TSLB2H (32,000 lb capacity) I installed it yesterday and should work great but I will not hesitate one minute if there is a chucking problem and order the Mor/Ryde pin box to use as a combo. I highly recomend the Mor/Ryde pin box and Mor/Ryde company also, but if you want the best Air 5th hitch Trailsaver is the best. There are other Montana using the Trail Saver also. Good Luck with your choice. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:03 AM   #9
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Lindy,
Trailair has a sliding pin jaw for their system. It did help remove the chucking I had with just the trailair. I have only the Reese 20K hitch.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:24 AM   #10
Papalr
Established Member

M.O.C. #8618
Tony
We were also new to 5th wheel towing when we stepped up from a TT to a 5er last August. Thanks to the great info and knowledge we got from this forum I insisted that the dealer include a Mor-ryde pin box on the 2009 2955RL we were ordering. The Monty was already coming with the Mor-ryde suspension as standard but we wanted the best possible set-up. We've had it out about 6 times since last August and love it. There is no chucking and pulls beautiful. If your planning on keeping the unit for a long period of time, I feel it would be a worth while investment.
Papalr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:36 AM   #11
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
have had both, I now have Mor-Ryde. Nice set up and big difference.
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:08 AM   #12
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
We will be travelling a longer distance (300 miles plus) over rough/ uneven roads this weekend, so we will see how stable the TV and the Monty ride with the MorRyde combination; especially now that we have more contents in the Monty and as we near that GVWR. Ellis
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:02 PM   #13
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
We have the Mor/Ryde pin box and we think it's great, however, I am investigating the option of using a softer rubber spring, given that our towing weight is not the maximum.
Also, you may want to check out proper tire pressures, which may be quite a bit less than the max. I've found that the ride improves immensely with this simple fix.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:36 AM   #14
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Tony, I have the MorRyde hitch pin and noticed a difference when I switched from the Lippert OEM. I further added MorRyde, Independent Suspension AND a Trailersaver Air Ride Hitch in the truck. We are completely happy with our setup. We fulltime and wanted to extend the life of our rig for several years, hence the upgrades.

By the way, "Welcome to the Best Darned Forum on the WWW"!!!!!!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 03:26 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Phil (exav8tr) above has, IMO the ideal setup and If we were full timers we would have the same. We do have the Mor-Ryde pin box and the OEM Mor Ryde suspension. We are long timers and do a lot of miles per year and those two systems do smooth out the ride.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:11 AM   #16
tonycamacho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9300
Send a message via AIM to tonycamacho
I appreciate all the feed back it makes it easier to sell the improvements to the wife. I will start shopping the prices and install one before we make that turn to the south and back home to Puerto Vallarta. So far it's been a real learning experience towing a FW. After a few close calls with narrow entrances and exits at CGs, lost of trailer brakes on Hwy 49 in California and having to backup a narrow road with no turn around space. We are still loving the Monty. The funnies thing so far is just watching my wife trying to direct me into a space. I don’t know where she learned the hand signals but it kind of reminds me of an air boss on the deck of an aircraft carrier while launching planes. Did you ever see the movie “Tora, Tora, Tora”? Well that’s what see looks like.

Thanks for inputs
Tony & Ann
tonycamacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:19 AM   #17
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Now that you mention it, I taught Kathy the ground crew signals that I learned moving airplanes on the ramp at Air Canada. I'm glad you're loving the Monty!
Old 07-03-2009, 08:39 AM   #18
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Hey Tony, as long as DW doesn't start carrying a Samurai sword or a .45 pistol as she guides you, you're safe. We're still waiting on the list of "trick stuff" on your TV... LOL

Let us know when you get your suspension. I'd like to be jealous until I get mine.

I wish I had known all this stuff BEFORE I bought this Monty. I was too naive to think the manufacturers would consider some of these things and make them part of the product (wet suspension, suspension improvements, pin improvements, voltage regulators, water regulators, etc., etc., etc.) But they are trying to keep the price down to sell the rig. After you sign the dotted line and buy, they should at least cover some of these improvements. But I guess that's what the MOC is for. I am 3 years late.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:38 PM   #19
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
OK, I'll bite. What's a "wet suspension"?
Old 07-03-2009, 04:52 PM   #20
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Replacement of shackles of bolts on the 5er with all new heavy duty (stronger) shackles and hollow bolts that can be greased up so the suspension is not completely metal on metal. It's a better, less wearing design than the standard metal shackles held together with metal bolts and metal nuts.

This has been a topic of discussion several times. Sorry you missed them.