Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2009, 09:23 AM   #1
ALAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4279
3400RL SEWER BOOM AND GALLEY DRAIN

I have not seen this discussed, but on our new 3400, the tech indicated that they recommend that owners use the sewer boom for hose storage only. You can pull off the hose connection between the sewer outlet and the boom and connect your hose in the old fashion manner. His only negative comment was that if the boom was intended for storage, then why can you only get a 10' hose in the boom. He felt that for very little effort they could have made it bigger for longer hoses.

The other change is that the valve for the galley drain has been moved from between the drivers side tires to just above and to the right of the sewer hookup. Still hard to get to since it is under the slide and they put it up high on the frame with very little room for my large hand. Another comment the tech had was why not put this handle with the others in the convenience center?

Still we like our unit.

Alan & Kathy

ALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:55 AM   #2
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Alan, enjoy that new 3400, they are very nice units.
Our new unit had, I say, had the sewer boom attached. I removed the assembly so that I could use the extra valve at the end in front of the cap. I also use the clear turn down section so I'm satisfied my tanks are empty. To use either of these attachments, the boom needs to be removed.
As far as storing the extra hoses, 20-30 feet that didn't fit in the boom, I will cut and install the same sewer door found on the older models. There is plenty of room above the sewer outlet to do this install.
Also, read rames14 post about his new Big Sky. He is very happy with his sewer boom, so you can get another look at using it.
That's what is nice about the MOC, you can get different views on just about anything on the Montanas!
I may change my ideas of the boom in the future, but this is how I'm working with it for now.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:51 AM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Steve,
We have one of the new rigs with the sewer boom here at the Spring National Rally in Or. The folks that own it have modified the boom. They bought a replacement pipe. The took off the old stuff and permanently connected the sewer hose. Then they slipped on the new plastic pipe and attached it. Now they have room to store up to 20 feet of HD hose in the boom section. It is a nice alteration and cleans up the sewer process a little bit.

I'll try to get a picture and post. Also perhaps the folks will get on and give you all the details.

Later,

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:22 PM   #4
ALAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4279
The modification you describe looks like it would be fairly easy. I tried to load 2 10' sections in the tube and got all but about 6" in the current layout. I am going to look into doing what you described but not hook up the hose. I think I would still like to use my clear elbow between the sewer connection and the hose. I will post my results.

Alan
Old 06-09-2009, 10:47 AM   #5
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Here are my mods to the sewer boom:

Original boom that came with the 5er. The tube part was 23" long, too short for a 15' Rhino hose and fittings.

New 46" long tube. It now fits about 14' of rhino hose with its fittings on both ends.

Since the tube is now twice as long, much longer than its support & clamping strap were designed for, I came up with a method to help keep it from flopping around while travelling down the road. It consists of a stainless steel eye-bolt and double ended brass snap.

Here is where the eye-bolt is located in the convenience center.

Here, I modified the boom support so that the tube would be able to pivot down and act as a slunky. I replaced the too short 1/4-20 bolt with a longer 5/16-18 bolt so the locknut would not come loose. The holes in the bracket were almost 5/16" diameter, too big for a 1/4" detent ball pin, so I reamed them out to .315" diameter and went with 5/16" hardware. Had to ream out the nylon spacer to .315 as well. The ball detent pin is tethered to the bracket with a stainless steel lanyard, to keep it from getting lost by yours truly. Also, I ground a radius on the sharp corner of the bracket (where the pivot bolt is located) so the tube can pivot down without interference. Not seen in the picture, I also drilled the holes for the cotter pin that holds the whole shebang to the frame to accommodate a 3/16 cotter pin instead of the way too small OEM cotter pin. Don't want this thing falling off the 5er at speed!

Here it is, pin removed, swung out, and pivoted down.

Since I leave the hose connected to the dump pipe, I decided to add a gate valve near the terminus of the pipe to avoid and accidental release of sewage into the Rhino hose. So, I now have the two remote valves in the convenience center for the black tank and grey tank, the remote valve for the galley tank, a manual valve at the end of the whole works, and a cap on the end of the Rhino hose. Oh, the cotter pin is in this photo at the top, left of center, on top of the vertical post above the big flex hose.

I just had to add some vinyl lettering to my project, for fun. In case you are wondering, my last name is Cooper, and some friends call me "Coop".

This part is for people that aren't sure about what exactly might be in a Poop Chute!
KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:05 AM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
KTManiac,

Nice modification! And you even named it! I hope it works for you. Don't be surprised if you see this type thing start showing up on the new Montanas.

Travel safely.

HamRad

On edit: Removed sig. block.
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:57 PM   #7
ALAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4279

Great photos and a good job. I like your ideas and may Borrow?, them from you with your permission of course. I assume that you can now get 20' of hose in the tube for a real storage unit. Depending on time and cost, you may have a new money making hobby for anyone who bought a 2009+ trailer with this boom attachment. I can see you now at the rally's selling and installing this improvement.

Alan
Old 06-09-2009, 01:00 PM   #8
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
I rinse our drain tube with clean water before stowing it. Can that be done with this new system?

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:09 PM   #9
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Skip, no you can't as long as it is attached. You can use the black tank rinse to clean out the hose. I do have the additional valve as KTManiac has, but I also have the clear elbow so I can see that my lines are mt. That interferes with the new boom mount.
Right now, I'm still in favor of cutting a hole and installing the sewer door like what was on our model we traded in.
KT, where do you store the donut and turn down for the cg's hookup?
Old 06-09-2009, 10:33 PM   #10
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ALAN

Great photos and a good job. I like your ideas and may Borrow?, them from you with your permission of course. I assume that you can now get 20' of hose in the tube for a real storage unit. Depending on time and cost, you may have a new money making hobby for anyone who bought a 2009+ trailer with this boom attachment. I can see you now at the rally's selling and installing this improvement.

Alan
Go for it. After a few more people make mods to the sewer boom, I think that some different ideas will come of it to make it even better.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Countryfolks

I rinse our drain tube with clean water before stowing it. Can that be done with this new system?

Skip
Black tank rinse would be one way, if you leave the hose connected and stowed in the boom. If you want to rinse the hose every time, you could remove the big flex hose permanently and have unencumbered access to the connection between the hose fitting and dump tube to be able to quickly disconnect for rinsing. I have been thinking of trying this to see how that works out myself.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Emmel

.... I do have the additional valve as KTManiac has, but I also have the clear elbow so I can see that my lines are mt. That interferes with the new boom mount....

.... KT, where do you store the donut and turn down for the cg's hookup?
Incidently, I forgot to mention that the gate valve that I installed is a permanent one, inboard of the support strap, and not a twist on valve at the end of the dump tube.

The 90 degree fitting remains on the end of the hose and stored in the boom, with a cap to seal it. It is translucent, so you can tell what is coming through it, sort of.

The 4 way adapter, that seals to the campground fitting, twists onto the 90 degree part of the Rhino hose. It resides in a 5 gallon bucket with my extra Rhino hose and other sewer doo-dads.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:00 AM   #11
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
KT, I like the idea of a permanent gate at the boom. I use the twist on type with a huge hose clamp to keep it from falling off.
The extras you refer to in the bucket is why I want to install the sewer door, no matter how much I rinse these items out, they still have a desidual odor. There is lots of room to install this door, may even look into using one to store the leveling boards too.
By the way, that is a very good job of remodeling the boom.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:03 AM   #12
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818

The 5 gallon bucket of sewer stuff stays in the bed of the pick-up. Occassionally, a little Clorox in the bucket, filled with water, helps with any odor problems.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:09 PM   #13
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Jimmy,
I'm glad I got to see your mod at the rally and will incorporate the pin and hook in addition to the extended tube I have already installed

ALAN: I can get a full length of 20' Heavy Duty hose with fittings in the 46" tube.
Jack
Old 06-15-2009, 05:00 PM   #14
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Jimmy,
I made the rest of the modifications to the sewer boom today except for the gate valve. Less than $10 of hardware and about 1.5 hours later and it was done. I'm thinking of naming mine "Crap Shoot" with a pair of dice on the tube. That should get them wondering.
Jack
Old 06-16-2009, 03:40 PM   #15
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Just toured the factory today. The 'rep' said that you can get 30 feet of sewer hose into the new boom thing. Guess he hasn't ever tried it!!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:00 AM   #16
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jackel1959

Jimmy,
I made the rest of the modifications to the sewer boom today except for the gate valve. Less than $10 of hardware and about 1.5 hours later and it was done. I'm thinking of naming mine "Crap Shoot" with a pair of dice on the tube. That should get them wondering.
Jack
If you plan on leaving the hose connected to the dump tube, it would be well advised to add that gate valve. It will keep any seeping "goo" out of the hose, and protect against an inadvert release of sewage from filling the hose before it is attached to the sewer hookup. It's pretty easy to do, and will only run you about $25 for the parts and ABS cement.

Valterra parts:

(Qty. needed-1) T1003VPM 3" Bladex™ Waste Valve w/ Metal Handle, $15.60

(Qty. needed-2) T1005 3" Slip Hub $3.03 each

One small can of black ABS cement, less than $5.00

It should only take about a half hour to do.

Edit:
Depending on where you splice it in, you may also need a 3" long, 1/4-20 carriage bolt and nut (I used stainless steel) to fit the support strap clamp around the larger flange of the slip hub. If you want detailed pics and info of where and how I mounted mine, just give a holler.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:18 AM   #17
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Quote:
quote:If you plan on leaving the hose connected to the dump tube, it would be well advised to add that gate valve. It will keep any seeping "goo" out of the hose, and protect against an inadvert release of sewage from filling the hose before it is attached to the sewer hookup. It's pretty easy to do, and will only run you about $25 for the parts and ABS cement.
Okay, you talked me into it but I'm going the lazy mans route and using the twist on valve.
Jack
Old 06-21-2009, 05:16 AM   #18
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818

I am thinking that may not work very well. It may put the end of the valve too close to the plane of the tube, so that the bend of the outer flex hose will be too sharp for the inner hose, and kink it. I'm pretty sure that someone tried that already, can't recall who it was though.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:46 AM   #19
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Jimmy,
You were right, the twist on valve will not work so I will have to do the other one. In the meantime, I have included a photo of the graphics I put on my boom