Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2009, 01:40 PM   #1
Gramps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8903
It's good to check things out

Well, with warm weather on the rise, I finally got a chance to give Monty a thorough going over. After crawling under the rig, I'm glad I took the time to really look things over. The last time I took it to the dealer to have the Dometic recall work done, it felt like the brakes weren't quite doing the job. I found one of the wires to the front axle, on the main power side, was cut. No power, no brakes. Got that repaired, so now we should be good. Tied up some loose wiring, reattached a weather seal under one of the glides, and lubed all the glide and strut gears.

Looks like the valve for the black water tank is seeping, so, until I feel inclined to pull the bottom pannel to replace it, I'm going to add a second valve near the hose connection to prevent me taking a poo bath when I go to hook up the sewer hose.

Checked my tires and adjusted the tire pressures, but am still leaning toward replacing the Missions. Once that's done, life on the road should be alot better.

Just goes to show, the little things will come back to bite you if you don't check and tend to them.

As a side note, I have my rig plugged into the house power (on a 20 amp circut). Everything seems to work except the microwave/convection oven. Is this going to have to have 30amp service to function? Every time I try to run it, it runs for a second or so and shuts down. Makes me wonder if it's a power issue or if I have a bum unit. If I have to replace it, is there a better brand or would I be better served with a plain microwave?

Sorry for getting wordy, but thanks in advance for any help.

Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:51 PM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Are you tripping the breaker? or is it just shutting off? It could be an oven problem if you are not tripping the breaker.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:05 PM   #3
mailmanguy
Established Member

M.O.C. #6684
We've used ours on a 15amp breaker with no problems - although I don't recommend that at all, especially if your using the conv/micro combo together. Too much.

We were just testing the microwave part only with some popcorn at the time. Mmmm good!
mailmanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:21 PM   #4
Gramps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8903
It's not tripping the breaker, just shuts down.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:02 PM   #5
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
How long is your extension cord and what gauge is it? You could be having a voltage drop problem.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:20 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Checking things out is a good thing. Ours will be in dry dock for retrofit soon as we get home. We sat in Florida for 6 months and everything worked fine when we hooked up and left two days ago. Thus far on the the trip up one of the black round knobs on the overhead vent fell off, the inside antenna up/down, turn assembly fell off the ceiling and we have not touched the antenna for 6 months..and our cable hookup worked fine last night in S.C but we can get only snow here in VA. C.G cable is good,,something fell apart there also. We have 392 miles to go...hope nothing else falls apart. We got everything but the cable repaired. Ahhh the joy of Rv'ing. Oh..it's cold here......
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:48 PM   #7
Gramps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8903
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NCFischers

How long is your extension cord and what gauge is it? You could be having a voltage drop problem.
It's a 25' 13amp, which is probably a little light, but the AC runs on it with no problem. The Apollo runs for a couple seconds and turns off, whether microwave or convection. I'm hoping it's just the power.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:58 PM   #8
tspoon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8973
Put a voltmeter in your rig and turn on whatever doesn't seem to work. You will see the voltage drop under 110v if the extention cord is to light.
tspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:15 AM   #9
Gramps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8903
Well, good news. I hooked up a 30amp rated extension cord and the microwave/covection oven works just fine. Preparations continue for a short trip next week, so we're going down the checklist. Fill the propane tanks, de-winterize, and make a last check of all the appliances and the water system. We can hardly wait, as this will be the first time we've been able to use Monty since we picked it up (other than sitting in it and watching a few NASCAR races last season). It'll be good to be mobile again.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:12 AM   #10
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
I always put a shutoff valve on the end of my tank lines. Makes for a much cleaner situation since the shut off valves in my 3585 are a few feet back from the end.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:01 PM   #11
Frankenstien
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7274
Gramps... in ref to the Micro Wave shutting off, make sure the Water Tank is off... in regards to the electric switch at the tank. This MAY be your power draw that breaks the camels back per se.
Frankenstien is offline   Reply With Quote