Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2009, 12:39 PM   #1
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
And we waited for THIS? Warmer weather?

Our Montana has been ready for pickup from Bish's RV for a month now, but we've had such nasty weather that de-winterizing it to do a pressure check test wasn't a smart thing to do yet. Finally, last week, the 40 - 50 degree temperatures arrived, the snow melted, and the forecast was for milder days ahead. So, we set a date to pick up our rig--this Friday, March 27th. Well, the joke is on us. A blizzard arrived yesterday before noon, and the snow didn't quit falling until 5 this morning. By early afternoon, we did get a path shoveled clear so that we could get our vehicles out of the garage and up to the gravel road, even though that road was still under 3 or more feet of snow. And then, a rare sight--late this afternoon the county sent out a grader and cleared that gravel road to High 324. It's only the second time in the 7 years we've lived here that the gravel road has been plowed.

We still plan to pick up our Montana on Friday. I don't know where we'll put it, though, because the place we keep it on our property will be a sea of mud IF the snow melts. If the snow doesn't melt, we can't get the rig in there anyway. Oh, well, one problem at a time. We're so excited to see our Montana that nothing can dampen our spirits!

Photos: Front deck of house, surprise when I opened a garage door, two of my grandsons enjoying their snow machine by the house.

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:42 PM   #2
otto0813
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5620
it it weren't for bad luck, you'd have no luck at all! Seriously, that's a lot of snow!!!!! But so glad to hear you are gonna get your Montana back good as new!
otto0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:05 PM   #3
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Ha Ha Ha Ha! We only got 8 inches yesterday! Ahhh, spring!!!
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:31 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I'm in Texas.

I'm not saying any thing else.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:45 PM   #5
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Wayne, I'll say it for you. "I'm melting!!!"
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:36 PM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews,

Wow! You are having a tough time. That is a lot of snow. So glad spring has arrived!

We are looking forward to meeting you at the Spring National. I hope another blizzard doesn't slow you down.

See you soon.

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:57 PM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Oh no! That happened to us in 2007 when we bought our new unit. We ordered it across state, and when it came in we had to leave it there for a month because we had a blizzard at home. The storage lot guy pushed all the snow into our empty space. It was a mountain and we finally had to ask him to relocate the mass of snow because it wasn't going to melt until spring.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:49 PM   #8
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
On the bright side . . . let's see . . . yes, there is a bright side . . . OH! Our trailer is READY!

Actually, except for having to shovel out an unusually long drive between the garage and the road, I don't mind the snow. However, we are anxious to take the Monty out for a test trip over the weekend and were disappointed that the weather took a turn for the worse this week.

Waynem, you enjoy those gorgeous Texas wildflowers that surely are blooming by now--the Indian paintbruses, the bluebonnets, and the coreopsis. We surely do miss those shows of color along the sides of the highways and in most of the medians.

HamRad, if we have to drag that rig by hand to Oregon, we'll be there. We have our maps and tourist info books spread all over the dining room table already because we hope to be gone for 2 - 3 weeks.

Carolyn
Old 03-24-2009, 03:36 AM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Carolyn,
The wild flowers are EVERYWHERE. This is such a nice time of year in Texas. It is our 2 weeks of Spring, then 10 months of Summer, 1 month of Fall, and 2 weeks of Winter. Spring and Winter do not come all at once. It's a day here, a day there, but the flowers survive year to year.

Come on home!
Old 03-24-2009, 04:07 AM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Wow! And I mowed our lawn yesterday.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:12 AM   #11
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
Hi Carolyn, Where is Dillon in relation to Great Falls? We are planning on being there by May 1 to see grand kids.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:23 AM   #12
goin2themountains
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9063
I do feel for you. When we brought our new Monty home in Feb., I really thought I would have to park it at my Dad's place in town until melt and dry up. Luckily, as the norm for NM, the wind blew a couple days so our drive was dry enough to get in. Btw, I keep thinking about an RV lot just West of Polson, but Dillon, hmmmm. Will have to run back up there one of these days. Keep thinking Spring.
goin2themountains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:58 PM   #13
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Carolyn,
We too had snow this weekend...it was even visable on the hilltops until about 9:00am...almost an inch! We are in Northern California...wine country...expecting 70's the rest of the week!

Enjoy the rig!
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:36 PM   #14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
John and Betty, it's about 210 miles from Great Falls to Dillon, and then we're another 40 miles south of Dillon. Even though our official mailing address is Dillon, we live in Horse Prairie, which is to the west of Interstate 15 where Clark Canyon Reservoir is located. If you are on I-15 before or after your visit to Great Falls, let us know; we'll roll out the welcome mat! We do have a 50-amp hookup and a place to park your rig.

Carolyn
Old 03-24-2009, 04:51 PM   #15
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I had ICE today.
I opened the freezer and got a few cubes for the ice tea.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:52 PM   #16
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Waynem, NOT funny!

And now, Part II of "And we waited for THIS? Warmer weather?"

The Sequel

Tonight as I was driving home
The time sure seemed to fly.
It was only 6, but oh, so dark--
And then I saw the sky.

Instead of blue, instead of gray,
It actually was quite black.
I rolled my window down to see,
And SPLAT! I felt a cold SMACK!

SNOWFLAKES--LOTS OF SNOWFLAKES

We've had the snow! We've had the ice!
And now, we've getting more!
Oh, woe is me, O sad I am,
And up won't go the door.
(The garage door, frozen again)

No changing of plans, no calls to Bish’s.
Come Thursday, I’m my F-350’s driver.
To heck with the snow! To heck with the ice!
We’re going to pick up our 5-er!

Yep, we have another "winter storm watch" in effect with the possibility of up to a foot of snow before tomorrow night. It's been snowing since dark, so I'm sure we'll easily meet that 1-foot prediction. On top of the 3 feet we already have in most places, that extra foot should make things interesting. I cleared a path from the garage to the gravel road tonight, backed my car into the garage (after thawing the ice that had imprisoned the door), left it in 4-wheel drive, and am ready to play slip-and-slide between the garage and the pavement again tomorrow morning.

But on Thursday, we're leaving at noon for Bish's to see our Monty; the actual walk through, pressure testing, and pickup will be done on Friday. (Getting the bedsaver installed on Friday, too.) Nothing will go wrong. Nothing will go wrong. Nothing will go wrong. Nothing will go wrong.

Carolyn
Old 03-24-2009, 06:20 PM   #17
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Bummer. I hope you are able to take your Monty home soon. By the way we are heading home to Ohio this coming Monday from Florida. Hopefully the weather will be WONDERFUL. Good luck to you.

Steve and Patti
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:25 PM   #18
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Don't forget: Murphy was an optimist.

I really hope everything goes well for you. The weather clears, the roads are cleared, and you have a safe trip to and from the dealer.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:32 AM   #19
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
Hi Carolyn, Thanks for the invite, but we get off i-90 at Billings the head up mt.3 to Us 87 and on in to Graet Falls. As I am retired USAF we stay at the base fam-camp. We usualy head home the same way. A whole lot less miles than going to I-15 then up. WE NEED TO STOP in Rapid City for a day or so to see some friends. We lived there from '78 to '87. Thanks again for invite. Maybe some time we may go to Utah on one of our western swings when we have more time. For now we only hve 2 weeks to kill. Good luck with Monty and SNOW.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:31 AM   #20
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
OHHHHH, The Big Sky Country. Never know what to expect. I miss being there, BUT only in the summer time to visit. As they say "Just wait a minute and the weather will change". Here is some Florida sunshine coming your way. Have a Good Day
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote