Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2008, 04:28 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Sitting arrangment and a question

I finally got energetic and following some various suggestions from the MOC convinced DW that we needed to at least try the sofa and recliner swap. Since DD's sleep on the sofa bed, I like the arrangement since it at least lets us have access to and use one of the recliners in the mornings. Now the question, can the arrangment be left when travelling?? I am thinking I can just strap the recliners together back-to-back and leave them in the large slide. Thoughts and input as always appreciated.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:41 AM   #2
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Bingo, I don't think that the measurements between the 340RLQ and the 3400 are that different. I put a set of those easy slide discs on the legs of the sofa so I could try this without killing my back. It worked just great, except that when the couch is pushed all the way back against the back window it still blocks the slides by about 6 inches. So it doesn't work for traveling. That being said, if you leave the sliders on the couch you can always just slide it back into the big slide for traveling and return the recliners to the back of the rig. We got rid of the OEM recliners and put our Lazy Boys in their place. That not only removed at least a hundred pounds from the back of the rig but also gave us two additional places to sleep. The Lazy Boys lay all the way back so you can sleep in them as both of us have done Post knee surgery. The chairs are lighter and better built and easier to move. Try the slider discs if just to move the couch to try the fit, they are worth the cost.. Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:42 AM   #3
jpf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3393
We rearranged the sofa/chair setup several years ago and have been happy with the arrangement.
Better view of the television, especially if the computer is being used, etc.
We never/hardly ever sit on the sofa anyway unless guests are over. There are generally only the two of us.

The first year or so we strapped them with a tie down strap each time we moved. Now we just tuck the sofa cusions between the wall on one side, dinette chair on the other, and between the two chairs in the center.
we stopped even turning the chairs back to back as it proved not to be necessary for us.
jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:19 AM   #4
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
We have the sofa in the rear (3400RL) too, with the recliners by the table. We have never done anything more than slide the recliners closer to the wall and tuck some throw pillows here and there when preparing to travel. No problems at all in 3 years.
mfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:23 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Thanks guys,
I believe I will strap them together just for the peace of mind of not having them rocking around and banging against the walls, windows, etc.
Dave,
You must have the airbed sofa???, Ours does not come close to impeding the slides.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:26 AM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Yes we do have the Airbed Sofa. Otherwise we would have them reversed all the time... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:32 AM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We've traveled over 8,000 miles with ours the way Jerry & Karen do. Never had a problem. We have small wooden trunks lined up behind the recliners so they can't rock enough to hit the wall behind them. The trunks hold our DVD's, CD's and Corona Parrot steins. I decorated the trunks.
Happy trails.........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:14 AM   #8
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I don't secure the Love seat which sets by the dining table the other 5er we had we had the same Love seat with the recliner were the couchs was. We gave our Sofa Air bed away. We have Lazy Boy Love Seat and Recliner they are call recline-away and they are very compfortable. This (SOB) has a 92 inch couch in the rear of the unit, we were going to remove it but would have had to remove the rear frame less window, I wouldn't do that, affaid of leaks. Its the longest couch I have everseen in a 5er. However we don't really like RV funiture. But I have the Recline-away stored in the basement. And I have a Stil Chain-saw at home base. If we don't like the Couch I'll cut it in half and then I can remove it without removing the windows . GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:53 AM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

Bingo, I don't think that the measurements between the 340RLQ and the 3400 are that different. I put a set of those easy slide discs on the legs of the sofa so I could try this without killing my back. It worked just great, except that when the couch is pushed all the way back against the back window it still blocks the slides by about 6 inches. So it doesn't work for traveling.
Dave, our airbed sofa does clear the slides when against the back window. Maybe the 340Q and the 3400RL are not exactly the same measurements? I thought they were...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:54 AM   #10
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
We love having the couch in the back of the rig. It gives us room on either side of the couch to store things. Alex, our cat loves to sit on the back of the couch and look out the bay window. We pull the couch out once we are set up to allow room for pulling up and putting down the shade. I find it easier to open and close it with the couch there, then trying to get around the recliners.

We travel with our recliners turned back to back, but do not use the straps. I store things between the recliners when we are on the road. We have also turned the table, and have taken out two of the dining chairs. This gives you alot more room. When we are out working we don't have company, and the dining table turns into my desk.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:10 AM   #11
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
We tried the counch in back on our 3400, with recliners on the side. We felt the slideout was having some difficulty opening and closing and wondered if the weight of the recliners could be the problem?? We are having some issues with the slides stopping and starting so that may be causing the slowness or slight drag. We do like the couch on the back though. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:33 AM   #12
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Dennis,

The circuit breaker/fuse for the slides may be getting "weak". My slides were stopping while we were putting them in or out. We would wait a few seconds and hit the switch and the slides would then continue. I replaced the breaker and all has been well again.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote