Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2014, 05:46 AM   #1
D2IKType
Established Member

M.O.C. #13220
One Lonely Halogen Pain

2011 3455SA Hickory - ODS slide (TV & Fireplace)- only halogen light in the coach is centered in front of the cabinet (not very useful). It will not light. Bulb is good - wire tested directly from battery. Switch is good - continuity meter test on/off. Voltage is nominal 12.5VDC at the fixture's terminals on shore power. Fixture is locked into place - I cannot determine by what means and cannot pull it out beyond an inch. Worked well from new through this past Spring. Just noted during work on TV this past week. Any ideas?

Thanks,
KJ Det8/8WEARON

D2IKType is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:27 AM   #2
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
I would think it's a bad connection somewhere. Most likely the switch. Sometimes a connection will flow electricity as long as there is a minute(sp/tiny) current draw (volt meter), but when a larger current draw (halogen bulb) is applied it won't allow enough current flow through a connection.

There are several ways to test for this situation, some safer than others. My first choice (right or wrong) would be to place a jumper wire across the switch wire connections, eliminating the switch from the circut. If that does'nt work I'd move along to the fixture and eliminate the wire and bulb conections one at a time. Not sure where the ground connection is for that slide, but that's a place I'd check out also. A loose connection there could cause the same effect.
woodtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:17 AM   #3
D2IKType
Established Member

M.O.C. #13220
Never thunk o' dat. I'll try it and put the meter at the fixture. The wiring here is "lamp wire" type - don't know if the ground side goes all the way back to the converter. There are no exposed wires on this chassis and no junction boxes under the slides or the rest of the coach; more to the point, I haven't found any. Still can't figure out how to remove the fixture so I can get to the terminals.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:17 AM   #4
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
If you can see anywhere near the top of the fixture can when you pull it down that inch...do you see a metal wire on each side opposite each other? Most of these fixtures are held in place by "spring wires" on each side or ears if you want to think of it that way. It could be that the fixture was twisted in circles during installation and that is "shortening" the wires leading to it and preventing you from pulling it down any further. Don't know what your fixture looks like, but when you say that voltage is 12.5vdc at the fixtures terminals...was this at the bulb contacts or what? I would expect to see 12vdc at one side of the bulb and ground at the other side...which would allow the bulb to light. If you measure 12vdc on both sides, then you don't have a ground connection. Ground should come into the fixture and go to one side of the bulb, while the other lead into the fixture should be 12vdc that goes to a switch, If it has one on the fixture) and then onto the bulb. Just some suggestions for you. Good Luck. John
Old 06-26-2014, 05:12 AM   #5
D2IKType
Established Member

M.O.C. #13220
The "lamp wire" is separated and one side is interrupted by the switch. This leads me to believe that we are dealing with +/- legs. I took pieces of a small paper clip and inserted one in each of the pin hole that receives the bulb. Got 12VDC switch on and zip switch off. So that confirms continuity and current. Thanks for your info; I will now test the fixture once I follow your instructions and remove it from the ceiling.

125sessionpastnewayo
Old 08-23-2015, 10:58 AM   #6
D2IKType
Established Member

M.O.C. #13220
I'm really slow with the mail. In the end, it was a defective internal terminal so I got a new fixture and screwed it in place. I would no have found that out without the forums help. Thanks.

Jorge
Old 08-23-2015, 12:59 PM   #7
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Those halogen bulbs get really hot, a reason why the contacts failed. There are LED bulbs that will replace the halogen bulb and save you the hassle of dealing with this problem in the future.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 03:49 PM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I agree with Bob! I'd be replacing that halogen with an LED that matches up with that specific bulb #. They are expensive but they are worth every penny. If they weren't worth it Keystone would not be putting the LEDs in their units since about 2013 if not before. They also save power for you especially if you pay for your electricity at a park.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote