Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2010, 09:47 AM   #21
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
The main factor is having even air dispersal throughout the camper. Non-ducted bedroom a/c units will help, but they will cool down the bedroom very fast and the compressor will kick off. The fact that the ducts in the bedroom are acceclerating the cooldown of the bedroom doesn't help the front unit stay in it's cooling cycle longer either. What I did in my previous camper was install a cutoff in the ductwork at the steps so the air from my back unit would not be wasted when I was running my bedroom unit. This helped the front unit to cool longer. A fan would help push some cold air down into the living area faster too. The best solution if you stay in very hot weather a lot is to have the front a/c's lower ceiling unit changed out and tied into your camper's ducts. This is simpler on the newer units than the older ones, but I was told by my dealer they can make it work on older units too. We were in 98 degree high humidity weather last week, and could freeze us out at any time of the day. This is not as important to some, but man I like it cold inside!

Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:30 AM   #22
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
While our destinations normally do not require A/C you never know and with a larger unit like a 3400 it is nice to have a 2nd A/C. We were in Yosemite 2 weeks ago. Day time highs @90*. The A/C was set at 75*. With 2 A/C we were cycling with no problems. If just running one we would have ran non-stop like our neighbor.

The following weekend we were at Joshua Tree staying in 29 Palms, CA. 104* when we arrived at 3pm. The 2 days we were there both A/C ran with out cycling during the afternoon hours. They did keep the trailer at/near the set temp of 74* but would not cycle until the sun set. Again we were in full sun.

Spent a month on the road and only used the A/C 2 other times than the 2 mentioned above, but very glad that we decided on 2 A/C and not just one.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:36 AM   #23
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
We live in the Tampa area and are very familiar with how hot it can get in a camper...our previous unit was a travel trailer and was not very well insulated, so when it was hot outside, it was warm inside, at best. Next weekend we set up our Montana in preparation for a long trip to and from New England. Given our previous experience, we are glad we have two ac's, whether we need them or not. For those who do not need them, that's great! You get to save some bucks while you stay cool.

CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote