Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2010, 04:30 PM   #1
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Raised spots under rubber roof

Has anyone gotten on their roof and noticed a small amount of screw heads and staples rising up under the rubber roof? Opinions about danger of working a hole through the rubber?

This is kind of normal on a stick house. The difference is you can simply pound the raised nails right back down on it.

Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:16 PM   #2
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
That is NOT supposed to happen, if you are under warrenty get it back to the dealer quick.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:41 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I've only noticed it on the very edges where the roof is put together. The roof has a 12-year warranty, by Dicor, not the dealer. I used a 4-inch wide strip of Eternabond tape to cover these areas on the roof. This, to me, is just preventive maintenance like you'd have to do on a stick house.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:58 AM   #4
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
It's three spots. One is where a staple has risen just enough to see and feel it throught the rubber. The other two are the same except they are nail or screw heads. They aren't raised much, but we are talking rubber here.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:04 AM   #5
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
I had a problem on the driver side rear edge. The edge has a plastic or metal piece under the rubber so it makes a smooth round edge. It started rising up. It was stapled down and the dealer pulled the rubber back on that corner and fastened it back in place. It was covered under the warranty at that time.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:07 AM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Clemson1881,
As Orv said it probably is just a routine process. But if you're still under your one year warranty I'd take it back in and have them deal with it. If beyond the one year then I'd just watch the spots and if they get worse fix them with the proper caulking and or patching material.

Eternabond tape is about the best you can get. I've used it to cover a couple of small holes and it has worked great!

Also you might notice some spots in your roof that bubble up a little bit. That is sometimes hard to see when you're on the roof but very visible from someone following you. This too can be a normal process. The glue did not work in some spots so you get a bubbling. If not excessive then it is not a major problem. Sometimes you can inject some glue in the bubble area and that will take care of the problem.

If you have major problems of any sort with the roof then get the Dicor folks to take care of the problems. From what I've heard they are very good to deal with.

Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:24 PM   #7
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
I called the dealer today. They are going to fix it under warranty. Service manager said it could eventually wear a hole through the roof. I'm going to take it in early April for repair. I would advise anyone to keep an eye out for this as it is hardly noticeable, but potentially a big problem it seems.